S2 ruined my system.

• 24 October 2020
  • 16 replies

Have six play ones and a Sonos connect (v1).  Inadvertently installed S2, no NOTHING works.  Spent >1hour on phone with support.  Everything has been rebooted, reinstalled, factory reset…...nothing works.

This is a PR nightmare for SONOS….as it should be.  I have recommended SONOS for years, but now I will tell folks to run screaming. 

Does anyone have any ideas?  I’m pretty sure I have tried everything mentioned on the boards, Sonos troubleshooting articles, and customer support.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING A SONOS SYSTEM.  PLEASE STAY AWAY UNTIL THIS IS RESOLVED!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

It is hard to imagine S2 is the issue, since it works fine on so many other systems, including mine, but there may be something unique about your system that is unclear from your post.

So, in order to help you, I think we need more information. When you say you have a CONNECT v1, can you provide more clarity? When you log in here to check the status of your devices, what is next to your CONNECT, probably in red? Does it have something like “trade in available” and or “S1 only”?

How is your system normally connected? Do you have an Ethernet cable between your router and a Sonos device, and if so, which Sonos device? Or do all of your Sonos devices connect to your WiFi signal? Is it a mesh network? Are you running any network extenders of any type?

What device is your controller on? Which version of the controller is it? What OS is running on that device?

Unfortunately, saying ‘everything on the boards’ is a bit unspecific, so if you can be more precise about exactly what steps you’ve tried, it might help those of us interested in helping eliminate some potentials.

Without knowing many or all of the answer to the questions above, one generic thing to try is to wire one of your Sonos PLAY:1s to your base hub/router with an Ethernet cable, wait a minute or two, and then open up your controller, and see if at least one or more of your Sonos devices are showing up in  the controller. 

Thanks for the detailed response.  Here’s the details:

I have a Sonos Connect (Gen 1) “SC1”.  I have an external music device going into the aux of the “SC1”.

This distributes music to seven play one speakers.  I am controlling the system w/android app and windows app.  This exact setup worked flawlessly until I inadvertently installed S2 on a new computer on the network.  This updated all of my Play1’s to S2 as well.  But unfortunately my SC1 is not S2 compatible.  My SC1 is the one and only source of audio that I use.  So it is essential.

Here’s what I’ve tried for troubleshooting 

1.  Uninstalled control app from all computer and phone
  2. Set all speakers back to “factory reset
  3. Installed S1 control app
  4. When I do this I am only finding my SC1.  The play ones are visible, but it they don’t allow me to do anything because they require an update to work.  
  5. All attempts to update play ones fail.  It was tested again and again on different devices with no success.  Most common error code given is “9” as a reason why the update failed.

I have been using Sonos products for over 10 years and have 20 Sonos speakers (in two different locations). Sonos has built it’s reputation on a “it just works” reputation.  That to me is the main value for their stuff.   This isn’t simple anymore. The S2 launch was a poorly thought out and poorly executed.  I see the need/desire for a new platform, but this is a real blow to their reputation.  Just a frustrated former fan here.

Hi. Did you factory reset the SC1 device as well? (If not, that is good, please don't reset it).

Error 9 is detailed here

It should be possible to pull the whole system back onto S1. I agree with John B that wherever possible the Connect should not be reset. I would try

• wire SC1 (if it’s not already so)
  • power everything else off
  • reset the S1 controller and re-associate it with SC1 (“connect to existing system”)
  • wire* one Play:1, power it up in factory reset and attempt to add it using the S1 controller

The Play:1 should ask to ‘update’ (downgrade) to S1. 

If that works, repeat with each Play:1 in turn.

*Wireless may also work, but temporarily wiring reduces the number of things which could go wrong.

Update:

I tried updating Play one’s with a wired connection.  No luck.  I am on week 2 of my entire system being useless.  I’d like to thank Sonos for making it so easy to completely destroy your system.  Again this S2 roll out is a complete disaster.

Still getting error code 9 when update is attempted.  Wired connection does not work for updates either.  Anyone have any suggestions besides throwing my Sonos system out? 

I have come into the same situation → my whole system is unusable since it is not able to update to the new version of the software anymore. did you manage to find a solution to the issue? Did you downgrade all back to S1?

I can simply add that this problem with S2 completely destroying a very expensive investment in Sonos products that are now deemed useless by their creator, SONOS.  I understand companies want their customers to upgrade to their newer more expensive products but it is down right criminal to release a virus into your customers systems disguising it as a controller upgrade called S2.  Completely dishonest.  I have $1,000s of dollars tied up in SONOS product that now can’t even be detected by SONOS controllers.  

and of course, the S1 controller forces you to the S2 controller and actually states “you can control all your products using the S2 app.”  Ummmm, that is false because I can’t. 

@jmathermiller . I can understand your frustration but your system really isn't wrecked. I am confident it can be sorted out if you will work with the experienced users on year.

I have an initial question for you, please.  I noticed that you joined the forum in 2019. Was that when you first bought Sonos or did you start much earlier than that?

I have been buying Sonos products since 2013.  I now have systems in Kentucky, Florida and The Netherlands.  

Sonos should never have made their older units incompatible with current units.  That was a really bad mistake.

it also doesn’t help when I spend an hour on the phone with a support tech and he hangs up on me.  I suppose he hung up because he couldn’t resolve my issues and didn’t want to deal with it.

About your system

You have 10 products in your system that are not compatible with the new app, Sonos S2. Learn about your options below.

Wow, 10 products that won’t work properly anymore.

that  pretty much sums up SONOS at my house, Sonos  thinks my S1 products are NOT compatible with an S1 controller but when you open up S2 as they force you to, that controller says the same darn thing, your products aren’t compatible with S2.  

Every time, as in I have tried no fewer than 20 times, every time I attempt to “setup a new system”  the S1 app rarely finds a product and when it does, it fails to set it up.  Complete madness.

I have been buying Sonos products since 2013.  I now have systems in Kentucky, Florida and The Netherlands.  

Sonos should never have made their older units incompatible with current units.  That was a really bad mistake.

Are your speakers in these 3 locations all registered under the same account with Sonos?  Which location are you currently located and what speakers are there?   Is this the first time you’re seeing this message or did something change with your system’s location, such as adding a new speaker.

As far as Sonos upgrading thier network from S1 to S2, there is a lot more to it then just getting existing customers to upgrade. And although it’s understandable for individual customers to be frustrated by it, it was necessary for Sonos to remain competitive with system wide features and the company seems to be doing quite well since the change over about a year ago.

OK. I wanted to help, but you seem only to want to rant rather than understand.

Good luck.

Sono should be ashamed of themselves. The S2 app is nothing short of robbery and trying to get somebody to spend thousands of additional dollars for new speakers. I have told so many people how awesome the system is and now I have to eat crow. Of course the speakers that don’t work is my sound bar subwoofer and of course the most expensive speakers the 5s. I have tried to factory reset and everything else to go back to the S one and it keeps telling me to upgrade the system and I run into a dead end every time. I have a messed around with these speakers off and on for two weeks. So far dealing with Sonos it’s like dealing with Comcast. Sorry Sonos it doesn’t get much worse than that. There should be a very simple way to go back to the S 1 but they made it difficult and we all know it was on purpose. I am so completely disappointed not much else to say