Answered

S2 for iphone DOES NOT WORK

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Do yourselves a favor- DO NOT INSTALL S2 on your phone.

I installed it, and the ENTIRE app just freezes. It opens up to My Sonos and the rest of the screen is white, the buttons at the bottom don’t even work!

I bet this was rushed out the door, and like other software company’s plan on fixing it after the release.

My iPhone is an Xs Max most amount of memory, and barely any used.

1. Software freezes upon opening, cannot do a SINGLE thing with it.
  2. I have S2 on my PC (installed with minor assistance from support)
  3. Removed S2 from iPhone.
  4. Installed S1
  5. S1 software told me I have to update to S2

Part 2.

1. Deleted the S2 on my PC.
  2. Reinstalled S2 on iphone- still the same problems, frozen.
  3. Uninstalled S2 on iPhone
  4. Uninstalled S2 from my PC (previously today TS told me the S2 app and S2 PC software needed to be on both at the same time to function properly)
  5. Installed S1 again - same issue
  6. Installed the skinned version of S1 on my PC- same error as I read on my phone “The S1 controller is not compatible with your system.

That cannot be possible. The S1 HAS to be compatible. I have no idea how the installation of the S2 app on my phone earlier today changed my speakers. This is complete garbage.

Installing software shouldn’t be so difficult!!! Now NONE of my speakers!

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??????

I COMPLETELY REGRET INVESTING MONEY IN A SYSTEM THAT MARKETED ITSELF AS ‘SIMPLE’ TO SET UP. MAYBE 10 YEARS AGO, NO LONGER.

ALL I WANT IS MY ORIGINAL SONOS APP SOFTWARE AND MY OLD SONOS PC SOFTWARE. THIS IS AN UTTER DISASTER. I CANNOT USE MY PHONE, or PC, or the speakers themselves AT ALL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator Note: Edited out Profanity

icon

Best answer by viper69 19 June 2020, 01:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Except there were thousands of people who installed it on iOS with no problems. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Software that is made well should work upon installation for all systems

If you have an actual solution beyond calling TS tomorrow, please let me know. Otherwise you are wasting everyone’s time.:thinking:

If you have an actual solution beyond calling TS tomorrow, please let me know. Otherwise you are wasting everyone’s time.:thinking:

My solution is for you to stop making generalizations about installing the software that just aren’t true.  Your system obviously has a problem.  Telling everyone not to install it just because yours is somehow not going well is overblown nonsense, especially when there is no current thread being blasted with posts saying the install is defective.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I installed it, and the ENTIRE app just freezes. It opens up to My Sonos and the rest of the screen is white, the buttons at the bottom don’t even work!

I bet this was rushed out the door, and like other software company’s plan on fixing it after the release.

4. Installed S1

Part 2.

4. Uninstalled S2 from my PC (previously today TS told me the S2 app and S2 PC software needed to be on both at the same time to function properly)
  6. Installed the skinned version of S1 on my PC- same error as I read on my phone “The S1 controller is not compatible with your system.

That cannot be possible. The S1 HAS to be compatible. I have no idea how the installation of the S2 app on my phone earlier today changed my speakers. This is complete garbage.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??????

I COMPLETELY REGRET INVESTING MONEY IN A SYSTEM THAT MARKETED ITSELF AS ‘SIMPLE’ TO SET UP. MAYBE 10 YEARS AGO, NO LONGER.

ALL I WANT IS MY ORIGINAL SONOS APP SOFTWARE AND MY OLD SONOS PC SOFTWARE. THIS IS AN UTTER DISASTER. I CANNOT USE MY PHONE, or PC, or the speakers themselves AT ALL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow...all I can say is wow - so much melodrama and hysteria.

Anyway, no where did you say that you rebooted the iPhone. I literally just install S2 on two iPads and two iPhones. installation got a bit stuck on my wife’s iPhone Xs, so rebooted the phone, tried again, and everything worked fine.

Honestly, if this is the biggest trouble in your life, you are doing well...so just take a moment to breathe and try again. YOU GOT THIS!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

My solution is for you to stop making generalizations about installing the software that just aren’t true.  Your system obviously has a problem.  Telling everyone not to install it just because yours is somehow not going well is overblown nonsense, especially when there is no current thread being blasted with posts saying the install is defective.

There’s nothing obvious at all. If it was so obvious you would have a solution, but you don’t do you. SEEYA!

Sonos was working  FLAWLESSLY before S2 installation. There is nothing wrong with my phone. I’ve been updating regularly both the PC and my iPhone with never an issue.

The only thing different is S2, that’s the variable, not my phone. Like I said, if you don’t have a solution don’t waste your time.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

4. Installed S1

Part 2.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??????

Wow...all I can say is wow - so much melodrama and hysteria.

Anyway, no where did you say that you rebooted the iPhone. I literally just install S2 on two iPads and two iPhones. installation got a bit stuck on my wife’s iPhone Xs, so rebooted the phone, tried again, and everything worked fine.

Honestly, if this is the biggest trouble in your life, you are doing well...so just take a moment to breathe and try again. YOU GOT THIS!

Thank you for your response. I did power off/on my phone. Not a bit of good. I can download the app, I can open it and accept Terms of Use.

Then the screen freezes, and no buttons work at all.

What I don’t know about their system is why the S2 install I did with TS earlier today prevents me from using the S1 software, both iphone and PC versions. I can’t use it without creating a entire new system it  seems. I cannot connect to an “existing system” with the S1, not w/the phone, nor w/PC.

It would be nice to have what I had BEFORE updating to S2. That’s all I’m asking for.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thank you for your response. I did power off/on my phone. Not a bit of good. I can download the app, I can open it and accept Terms of Use.

What I don’t know about their system is why the S2 install I did with TS earlier today prevents me from using the S1 software, both iphone and PC versions. I can’t use it without creating a entire new system it  seems. I cannot connect to an “existing system”.

Once you update, you officially cannot go back. If you updated, then your system is at version 12, whereas the S1 app will only work with the previous version 11.2

Let’s try and step through it.

Can you get any controller to work, whether on your iPhone or PC or any other device?

Badge

Just a suggestion; when accepting the conditions of use, this step should redirect you (open up) to an internet page where the conditions are set out. From the webpage go pack to the Sonos app (just press the Sonos and arrow top l/h/s of your screen and the app should then open up.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

What I don’t know about their system is why the S2 install I did with TS earlier today prevents me from using the S1 software, both iphone and PC versions. I can’t use it without creating a entire new system it  seems. I cannot connect to an “existing system”.

Once you update, you officially cannot go back. If you updated, then your system is at version 12, whereas the S1 app will only work with the previous version 11.2

Let’s try and step through it.

Can you get any controller to work, whether on your iPhone or PC or any other device?

The ONLY Sonos product that works currently since the update I did (what a mistake) is S2 prog for PC.

Nothing else works. Hasn’t since I updated, this has been a huge mistake..

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Just a suggestion; when accepting the conditions of use, this step should redirect you (open up) to an internet page where the conditions are set out. From the webpage go pack to the Sonos app (just press the Sonos and arrow top l/h/s of your screen and the app should then open up.

Thanks I know this. This is not an issue. I switch back to the App, where it is frozen.

This is the WORSE update I’ve ever seen of any software I’ve ever used on the iphone, and on a PC.

It’s a disaster..Hopefully TS can fix this, though giving my experience with TS I’m skeptical.

Waiting over 45 min for technical support is not helping.

At what point does the app freeze?  Can you provide a screenshot?  I think Liberator may have a point.  There is a step where you’ll be asked to accept T&C, and cannot move past it to you do.  That may appear to be a frozen screen.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

At what point does the app freeze?  Can you provide a screenshot?  I think Liberator may have a point.  There is a step where you’ll be asked to accept T&C, and cannot move past it to you do.  That may appear to be a frozen screen.

When I install it, I do come to that screen where one is sent to a website, then I come back to the App, and I select Accept or whatever it is. This portion is the ONLY portion of S2 that DOES work!!! It’s crazy over here.

Then whatever SONOS app decides to show it is frozen immediately after accepting.

Here are 2 different images, both frozen, the buttons at bottom do not work, nothing works. Literally nothing works after accepting Terms.

These were different screenshots taken at different installs.

I didn’t take other screenshots because literally WHATEVER screen SONOS decides to show is FROZEN. I know that’s hard to believe w/out seeing, but it’s literally the truth. I’ve even left my phone with App open for about 2 hours and no change.

This one here, while it reports there’s no music playing etc. In fact via the PC S2 software, the ONLY way my speakers work, the music is playing.

Other times are other repeated S2 app installs on iphone the screen is different, and a small window will show what is playing at the moment, but again that screen is frozen too.

NOT A single screen isn’t frozen except for the VERY beginning of installing, and TOS agreement.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Here’s the other gem!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

The other odd thing that happens and I’ve only seen this with S2, no other app. What i describe reminds me a bit of what I see on a PC with software.

Sometimes when I close frozen S2 on iphone, close meaning force close, as the app goes back towards the desktop all the icons on my desktop shake VERY briefly.

It’s as if S2 when frozen locks up most of the phone’s system resources until it’s force closed.

It reminds me of PC behavior sorta when software locks up system resources and nothing works, no mouse/keyboard nothing, until you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager and release the frozen program. I know that doesn’t sound the same, it just reminds me of that.

When the S2 open the rest of my phone functions normally, however I don’t keep s2 open too long because nothing happens.

A moment ago I tried pressing the bottom star button, and a brief Tan splash screen appeared, then the app quit on its own.

I reopened it, and I was at the TOS screen in the App, even though I have accepted TOS yesterday

Badge

There’s a couple of things I would be checking on my iPhone. In the iPhone’s Settings, go to Battery and see what apps are using battery by usage, in case there is something else conflicting with the Sonos app. And on that very note, again in your iPhone’s settings, go to the Sonos app from the menu there and untoggle anything in Siri & Search, as that can interfere with smooth running of your phone. Just another suggestion.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Spoke with level 1 and level 2 TS today, total time spent about 3.5 hrs

We don’t know the exact cause of the freezing. We can however replicate it on demand every time.

The problem occurs in 2 places, and it MAY be related to how Sonos app searches for radio stations, according to level 2 TS.

1 In the music note- Browse area, going into Sonos Radio locks up the phone- you can see the Apple spinning wheel appear. That’s new. All other service streams don’t have this problem. You have to force close the app..

2 The problem I’ve observed has to do w/the star/My Sonos portion of the app. No matter what part of the software I’m in, if I tap on the Star it freezes, and you see one of the images above.

In order to partially use the software again after any freeze, have to delete it and reinstall.

He’s going to check when the next revision is released, or maybe my speakers get a reset so I can use the original Sonos app and PC software.

Thank you to those who constructively provided information, and to the troll who first replied- get a life.

Badge

I hope you can get a quick resolution. When the system works it’s great but when it plays up, or even through external issues with wi-if, it can be so so frustrating. Best wishes.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

There’s a couple of things I would be checking on my iPhone. In the iPhone’s Settings, go to Battery and see what apps are using battery by usage, in case there is something else conflicting with the Sonos app. And on that very note, again in your iPhone’s settings, go to the Sonos app from the menu there and untoggle anything in Siri & Search, as that can interfere with smooth running of your phone. Just another suggestion.

Thanks I looked.

Sonos uses the most at 25%, Messages at 18% and the rest are in single digits.

In Siri & Search> I turned off Search, Suggestions & Shortcuts toggle switch.

In the same sub menu I turned off Show App

Settings>Sonos the only toggle switch that is on/green is Background App Refresh.

That didn’t fix it., but thank you. I’ll need to reinstall the software now.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I hope you can get a quick resolution. When the system works it’s great but when it plays up, or even through external issues with wi-if, it can be so so frustrating. Best wishes.

Me too. I feel fortunate previous to S2 that I didn’t have any issues that I read.

Now, I have a serious issue according to TS. I’m hoping this will get fixed in the next release OR I can reset my speakers and use what I had!

Badge +2

Here’s my take. S2 has issues! I have 3 rooms, Kitchen, Living Room and Conservatory. Kitchen, 2 Ones and a Move. Set them up, they show in the app then promptly vanish. Living room and conservatory are fine. 

I can see the 2 Ones via AirPlay as I can the Move, they work fine, they just won’t stay on the app. No amount of resetting makes the blindest bit of difference. Bought a Boost, no difference, even with the Boost plugged directly into router and placed no more that 25 feet from any speaker, they won’t show in the app.

Whilst I accept thousands have installed and have no issues, the issues the OP and myself are having are app based and nothing else, don’t start telling my network is the issue, it’s not, never had ANY issues like this with S1.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

My issue we believe has been identified, and solved. TS dialed in and converted my speakers back to S1 in dev mode. I have the new S1 and things are rocking here. I took many hours of SOLID thorough testing, but they put me back where I wanted. S2 doesn’t have anything I need.

4. Installed S1

Part 2.

I can’t even complete the installation! I get to the “review terms and conditions” and there is no button to advance ahead to complete the installation … SONOS is slipping backwards!

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??????

Moderator Note: Edited out Profanity

I agree that SONOS has made it more difficult from what was previously a very good UX. I will avoid updating to S2 for sure … don’t they test things thoroughly?

I have the same problem it seems. Since I updated my phone does not find my Sonos network, I have:

Uninstalled and re-installed the app

Re-booted the phone

Re-booted my router

Tried my other iPhone but that has the same problem. I have a 7 and a 11 pro

It starts to work and then stops, it does work on my PC though. Any suggestions guys?

Oh I have 2 x sonos 1 and 3 x sonos 3. I had to bin the Bridge after the update. Can I go back to the old system or are the speakers now permanently changed?