Question

S2 dropouts

• 30 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 11 replies

I had a well functioning system with about 10 Sonos devices before the software update. Since S2, devices come and go, it’s hard to listen to more than two songs without dropouts, and basically the experience stinks! I love the idea of higher res audio, but what  in the world is Sonos doing releasing this thing that wasn’t really ready for prime time?

I’ve tried to fix it by changing to a wireless system, after using a boost based system, because I have really good wireless coverage in my house. No difference. I’ve taken two devices and wired them rather than using wireless. Nothing seems to help. More than one stereo pair wirelessly and it’s over.  For the first time, I am really really disappointed on Sonos. I’m done talking it up to friends, for sure. 

Are there any fixes for this problem?

8 replies

Sure sounds like you’ve got an issue with duplicate IP addresses. I’d recommend unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in.

Assuming that works, you may want to look into how to reserve IP addresses for all your Sonos devices in the routers DHCP table, which would keep this from recurring,

If it doesn't work, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing a room disappearing, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

When you talk to the phone folks, there are more options available. They are available Monday through Friday during business hours.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

Badge

Thank you for this reply. I assigned fixed addresses to everything. Maybe, maybe it’s better. But channels still seem to come and go as we are listening to music. There seems to be a high end of maybe two stereo wireless channels. Again maybe. It’s gotta be better than this. 

I’ve had the same issue. Spending thousands of dollars on a speakers should just work. It’s 2020. 

Badge

Agreed.  I was on a chat tonight with Sonos and reconfigured the system back to being based on the Sonos net. Also have assigned reserved addresses to everything, though it doesn’t seem like that should matter with the Sonos net.  I can say for certain that just reserving addresses did not work.  We’ll see how round two goes.

Try going into settings under Network.  Switch the SonosNet channel from the default to another channel.  I was having all of the issues you are having and this, for now, seems to have fixed them.  App is more responsive and hasn't dropped or skipped any songs.

Badge

Thanks for the tip on channels.  I didn’t see a difference with my prior Sonos wired or wireless configurations but as I get closer to where I need to be, I’ll give it another try.

Since going back to the Sonos net, with some changes, I have had no dropouts and no lost devices.  Knock on wood.  However buffers still load very slowly.  Not a huge issue except that it happens any time a new song is dialed up.  Our network connection is much faster than the Sonos wired connection, so I’m guessing it’s a Sonos thing.  It’s much more noticeable with, say, Amazon albums than internet radio stations, so maybe a result of more data in the higher-res audio S2 streams and hardware that struggles a bit to keep up?

FWIW I did several things differently when I went back to a Sonos network wired through a Boost:

Originally:

1 Boost as basis for Sonos net, ethernet wired from an unmanaged switch in an equipment cabinet in the basement, about 20 feet through a wood floor to the nearest wireless Sonos piece

2 Connects, ethernet wired, wireless off.  One main floor, one in the basement.

2 stereo pairs of Play 1 and one stereo pair of gen 2 Play 5, all wireless, spread out on main floor

1 Playbar, upstairs, wireless.

Now:

Boost, wired, but on main floor near one of the Connects (slightly farther from some pieces, but no floors to get through--line of sight to several).

2 Connects, running wirelessly

All else as previously, except one Play 5 has a direct internet connection and is wireless enabled.

The 1400/support/review page is now all green and yellow, and only the two connects show noise floors any higher than about -107 (one Connect has a signal strength in the mid 80’s and the other in the mid 50’s--seems OK?).  Many oranges, and maybe one red cell, without having the wired Play 5.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also have assigned reserved addresses to everything, though it doesn’t seem like that should matter with the Sonos net.

It still matters (just for the record).

Badge

Good to know--thanks!