Question

S1 is a disaster. HELP

Badge

OK, thanks to “progress” my controllers (PC, iPad, Android phone) all wanted to update. As soon as S1 came into my life, my previous flawless system (BRIDGE, Play 5 x 2, Play 1, Connect) were all happy. Since S1, everything started behaving strangely, disappearing or just plain slow. A couple of days ago the system disappeared altogether, at least as far as the controller on my phone was concerned. After that, nothing worked. I’ve read through this forum, re-booted my router multiple times, ditched the bridge, reset everything multiple times, deleted the apps, started again….. with the end result that now nothing works at all. At best I can get one component back, then after the initial discovery of other components I get the ‘Your Sonos product was not found’. Slow hand clap Sonos, you’ve taken a product I enjoyed and recommended to one which causes a lot of frustration and which I wouldn’t recommend to anyone. Upgrade? NO WAY! 

Can anyone suggest a course of action? I’ve connected components directly to my router, and it only works sometimes and only for the connected component. Not happy Sonos!

23 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @JustCroozin, sorry for the late response and thank you for reaching out.

It’s unfortunate to hear that you’re having issues after the update.

I would like you to take a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation; so we can take a closer look.

I would like to also know if the Sonos is still connected to the router and what router model you have.

We also need to check the lights the speakers are showing and if it’s blinking.

The information you can provide is appreciated.

Badge

Hi Kyle, thanks for your reply. As you can probably tell by the tone of my post, I was pretty frustrated when I wrote it. I managed to get everything connected for about a day, but strange things began happening again and everything stopped working again.  I am beginning to suspect a problem with my bridge, or some other network issue. I managed to get everything back long enough to send a diagnostic report: 1850026655 

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated; I have enjoyed this system for a long time and would like it to be reliable again!

Badge

Not long after i sent that email I tried to access the controller on my iPad. Despite music playing on one of my speakers, nothing showed up on the controller and all of my music services were missing. The controller on my android phone can control the Spotify queue, but the song information is not being updated. Very strange. I managed to send another diagnostic report from my ipad in the hope it will give you more clues as to what's going on. # 2106427189

Badge

And another one: 703370775 This time, the speaker I'm listening to has disappeared. An increase volume command I issued about 5 minutes ago suddenly pumped up the volume, but that speaker isn't in the controller now (I'm using the Android app). If I try to control the system using my iPad, it tells me its unable to connect to Sonos. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @JustCroozin, thank you for the update and I’ll more than happy to assist.

I checked the diagnostics, I see the bridge is still in the system and the Play:5(sitting room) connected with an Ethernet cable.

The 703370775 diagnostics showed one missing bedroom speaker and the wired Play:5 is reporting a faulty Ethernet cable.

I would like to know if you’re still planning to use the bridge. If so, disconnect the Play:5 from the Ethernet connection. 

I also would like to know the router’s model, so we can check for any known issue with it.

If you’re using other networking devices like Wifi extenders, other routers, and mesh systems; I would like to know the model of those as well.

Knowing how the network is setup can shed some light on the issue.

Badge

My Router is an Arcadyan LH1000. I have disconnected the Play 5 from the ethernet and connected the bridge via ethernet cable directly to the router, as it was previously connected to the router via a hub (the same hub the Play 5 was connected to). I used a cable tester to check the ethernet cable I’m using and it checks out ok. There is an Aztech Homeplug wireline network system in operation in my house but none of the Sonos components are connected to it. I sent another diagnostics report # 821786914 from my Android phone, but several components have gone missing again and the system is not currently usable.

Badge

This is really weird. After about 10 minutes or so, all the components showed up on my Android controller, but when I try to play music via Spotify, I get the “can’t add xx to the queue” message. I opened the controller on my Windows 10 PC a ew times and it wouldn’t find the Sonos system. 5 minutes later, everything suddenly appears and I can play music from Spotify. Switch back to my Android controller and its back and showing the music I am currently listening to. I sent another diagnostic so you can see it in its current state. Unfortunately I fear its only a matter of time before it disappears again. #2059912865

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @JustCroozin, thank you for the update.

I checked both diagnostic, the speakers are configuring themselves for the best connection using the SonosNet system and IP address assigned from the router.

Our SonosNet system act similarly to a Mesh system having the speakers as the Mesh Node and the wired product the Hub

I understand the fear, I would like you to monitor the system and reach out when you encounter issues.

The community will be here to help. 

Badge

As predicted, today I am unable to access Sonos again. Neither the controller on my iPad nor on my android phone can connect to the system. I’m at a loss, I don’t know where to go from here. Should I remove the bridge and start again? If so, how do I remove the bridge if I can’t connect?

Badge

Diagnostic 1820256959 if that help shed somelight on anything.

Badge

and more strange happenings. This afternoon I can connect using my Windows 10 PC which is on the same WiFi network, but my iPad is “unable to Connect to Sonos” My Android phone can connect OK now - this morning it couldn’t. 290128530

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @JustCroozin, sorry for the late response and thank you for the update.

I checked both 1820256959 and 290128530, 1820256959 doesn’t show what controller triggered the diagnostic.

I would like to know where 1820256959 is from and compared to 290128530 the controller is present which is from the Windows 10 PC.

On both, the Sonos Bridge is active and acting as the hub for SonosNet.

We would need to check the network setup and map it; Could you clarify, is the Sonos Boost is connected to Arcadyan LH1000?

How is the Windows 10 PC connected, is it wired to the network or wireless through Wifi?

If Windows 10 PC is wired, where is it wired to? 

I would like to know if Aztech Homeplug is wired to Arcadyan LH1000 as well.

In this case, I think the Aztech Homeplug providing the Wifi may be acting up.

Rebooting the network including the Aztech Homeplug can clear out any errors.

All information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Badge

I have removed the bridge from the system as everything stopped working again. The home plug is for wireline networking, it is not wifi and none of the Sonos components are connected to it. The windows 10 PC connects via wifi. I’ve reset everything and rebooted the router but the system is not behaving normally. I can’t rename some  rooms, I can’t control the room grouping and the controller is not displaying the song which is currently playing. Here’s another diagnostic 1494444527

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I checked the diagnostic, the Sonos is now connected to the Wifi.

I still don’t see the controller who triggered the diagnostic.

Let’s check the Android phone and the iPad’s OS version if they’re within the System Requirement.

If they are, reboot the devices and if you still have the same issue; I would suggest calling our Phone Support. 

1 800 680 2345 Mondays to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

This is not a normal App behavior.

For what it is worth, since the last update of S1, my CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP disappeared, but our kid’s Symfonisk was there.  I deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone.  The Symfonsik disappeared but the CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP were back.  I added a new Move this morning.  30 minutes later I went to the App and nav’ed to System->Move - the app suddenly refreshed and I was looking at only the Symfonsk again. :(

From Alexa, I can (and am) playing music on the CONNECT:AMP even though it is gone.  It is also missing from the MacOS S1 app.  CONNECTs are ethernet wired and work fine (solid white LED).  They are just gone from there as well.  :(

Seems based on the number of threads about this, there is a bug in the app code.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @User651498, Thank you for reaching out.

I would like to check your Sonos system; could you send a diagnostic confirmation number?

Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic in the Sonos app.

I would like to know the model of your router and other network devices like mesh systems, Wireless access points, and like.

This so that we can also check for any known issues with your network setup.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi I did contact support and it turned out that somehow the Symfonisk got out of whack.  Once we did a POR on it, it rejoined the system and stopped tripping up the app.  All 4 are now back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Given the number of Bridges that have odd failure issues, mostly resulting from a failing power supply I’d really suggest either wiring another speaker and removing the Bridge or adding a Boost and removing the Bridge. Aside from reliability using a speaker or Boost will move you to SonosNet v2.0 that has far better performance than the v 1.0 the Bridge offers.

The other thing you might try that has helped a lot of other users with similar issues is assigning static/reserved IP addresses to all Sonos devices. Once done power down all Sonos, reboot the router, and power the Sonos back up, any wired ones first. It helps stability, particularly at updates or power failures.

Badge

Hi @JustCroozin, thank you for the update.

I checked the diagnostic, the Sonos is now connected to the Wifi.

I still don’t see the controller who triggered the diagnostic.

Let’s check the Android phone and the iPad’s OS version if they’re within the System Requirement.

All of my devices use the most up to date software versions. Here’s another diagnostic, again from the controller on my iPad # 580236214 As you will see, most of my Sonos devices are missing; only one of three speakers is showing up and the connect is also missing. This is getting really annoying, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn’t. I’m in Australia on the West Coast, so calling East Coast USA is not really a convenient option.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

The strange thing is when I check the diagnostic, the speakers are present using Wifi; 

the Living room speaker reporting a “not enough bandwidth” error and wireless interference on the bedroom speaker.

Here’s an article that aims to reduce wireless interference.

Most likely, something is interrupting the communication between the Sonos app and the speakers.

Let’s check the environment for any interference.

Update us with your findings.

Badge

Hi Kyle,

I think I may have found the cause of this strange behaviour. If I turn the firewall off on my Arcadyn LH1000 “smart” modem everything seems to function normally. With the firewall on, things go haywire / behave strangely / go missing and my controllers start failing to connect. What traffic do I need to allow through my hardware firewall to let Sonos work correctly? 

Badge

I sent another diagnostic #612439350 from the Windows 10 controller. Does this look normal now?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

The diagnostic is showing a much better connection now. 

To configure the Firewall, here is an article on Configure your firewall to work with Sonos.

The ports Sonos uses are listed in the article. If you need assistance in configuring the firewall of the Arcadyan LH1000 smart modem;

you’ll need to contact Arcadyan for assistance.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.