Rooms dropping out/disconnecting from controller

• 12 April 2016
  • 53 replies

So I have a 3 room set up.

Lounge - Playbar + 2x P1 for AS
Kitchen - 1 xP3
Master Bedroom - 1 x P1

Recently when I have gone to control the speakers through any phone it is only showing the lounge, and without the SS.

The kitchen still plays whatever was in the queue if I press play on the physical speaker but I can't adjust/change the music.

This is consistant across multiple controllers and we have tried disconnecting and reconnecting to the sonos system .

Can anyone provide any help in this matter? Happy to submit diagnostics

Regards

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi J_Elders,

Before we can start troubleshooting I would like more information about your Sonos system. Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic Please reply with the confirmation number.
I too am experiencing a similar problem.
I have 5 x P5, 1 x P1, 1 x Playbar.
All these units have been working flawlessly for more than 1 year.
In the last two weeks, one random speaker will drop off.
Once I turn the power off and it re-joins the network, in a couple of days another random speaker will drop off.
Has something changed?
I've submitted a diagnostic - #6083929.
Thanks Barry.
Max

My diagnostic number is #6084765

Regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I too am experiencing a similar problem.
I have 5 x P5, 1 x P1, 1 x Playbar.
All these units have been working flawlessly for more than 1 year.
In the last two weeks, one random speaker will drop off.
Once I turn the power off and it re-joins the network, in a couple of days another random speaker will drop off.
Has something changed?
I've submitted a diagnostic - #6083929.
Thanks Barry.

Hi Barry,

It looks like your Sonos units are losing their IP addresses. Please check to make sure your router is set to assign from a large enough pool of IPs. This is usually found in the router's DHCP setting. You'll likely want a pool of 100 or so IP addresses available. It may also help to reboot your router.

Please let us know if this doesn't help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Max

My diagnostic number is #6084765

Regards

Hi J_Elders,

Your PLAYBAR is losing connection to your home wireless network frequently. This is causing the performance issues. Also, there are other wireless networks within range on the same channel that have pretty strong signals. Please try changing your home router's wireless channel to 6 and see if that helps.
Same here , 2 x Play5+ sub ; 1x Play 3 ; and 1 Play 1 .... worked flawlessly for more than a year and now rooms disappear , speakers drop out , sub connects itself to bathroom instead of living room ... connecting to songs controller does not work 5out of 10 times .... I was so happy with Sonos, a product that just worked ..... not anymore ... nothing changed to my wifi or network setup ...need help
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same here , 2 x Play5+ sub ; 1x Play 3 ; and 1 Play 1 .... worked flawlessly for more than a year and now rooms disappear , speakers drop out , sub connects itself to bathroom instead of living room ... connecting to songs controller does not work 5out of 10 times .... I was so happy with Sonos, a product that just worked ..... not anymore ... nothing changed to my wifi or network setup ...need help

Hi Stevenalen,

This behavior is usually due to wireless interference which can cause Sonos units to lose communication with each other. Please start by changing the Sonos wireless channel, here's how.

If that doesn't help, or if it is not an option because your Sonos system is connecting to your home wireless network, please send in a diagnostic report, reply with the confirmation number, and I'll take a look. Here's how to submit reports.
Please look at submitted diagnostics #6860240.
I had flawless functioning for years, then this year rooms have been dropping, and it's annoying. I just added a Play:3 hoping to learn something when I add it and use my Play:1 instead of my Bridge, but they are still dropping and it really must get resolved.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Completely the sign your router has given out bad IP addresses. Best way to fix is turn off all Sonos units and any other wifi device connected to your router. Reboot router then turn all back on.
DevinDow, have you got quite a few devices connected to your wireless router? Resetting the hub worked short term for me but the best fix was to go into your router settings and assign devices reserve DHCP addresses, I did it for my sonos and my computers/phones etc and everything works great now.
It's not an uncommon problem with networks getting overburdened and especially when using a standard router you get from bt/Virgin etc
Please look at submitted diagnostics #6871531.
It was just playing, then my Group of three Sonos Speakers became un-grouped. Then I re-grouped them.
2 days ago, I did unplug all Sonos Speakers and reboot the router. They seemed to keep their IP addresses. I tried to set new Static IP addresses for them but failed to do so.
Can you explain more about what has a bad IP, and even provide those IPs for me to investigate & experiment?
What else should I try?
Duplicate or conflicting IP addresses occur when your router gets a reboot and forgets the IP addresses it previously issued. After the reboot, when another device restarts or its IP lease ends, it requests a new IP. The router then issues it one from the pool, but it has no idea another device is still using the same IP. Because Sonos updates require the rebooting of all Sonos devices, you can see why an update could trigger duplicate IPs if the router is in the aforementioned state. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.

After that, you can stop it from happening again by going into your router setup and reserving a permanent IP to each Sonos device's MAC address. You router manual will have details on how to accomplish this. The MAC address for each Sonos device is the serial number minus the last digits. It is easy to match these up with the MAC address listings on the router by going to About My Sonos System on the Mac/PC controller.
My Sonos are also dropping in and out randomly. Two 1's, Two 3's, Two 5's.
Submitted diagnostic report #7144052.
Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My Sonos are also dropping in and out randomly. Two 1's, Two 3's, Two 5's.
Submitted diagnostic report #7144052.
Thank you

Hi dantera,

There are some wireless communication errors showing up which are likely the cause of the dropping. It looks like there are 2 wireless networks with strong signals that are on the same wireless channel as your main network. One of these is your guest network. This can make it hard for your Sonos units to stay connected to your wireless network. Please change your router's wireless channel to 11 and see if things improve.
Thank you for the suggestion. I removed the guest and additional network in the 2.4 band and also changed the channel to 5 where there is no other traffic. Unfortunately the speakers dropped in and out again. The new report # from yesterday is 7199969. FYI, I power cycled my router not long before requesting the report so you will probably see everything drop for a few minutes, but that didn't resolve the issues.
I heard that there is an alternate way of configuring the speakers (some private network instead of each speaker connecting to the router). Is this true? Could we try it? The drop in/out is extremely frustrating
thanks!
I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. I have a 3 room setup also. The problem started after adding the 3rd speaker. All speakers are PLAY:1s.

To resolve the issue I reset 2 of my speakers to factory default. Rather than setting them on wifi, I used the included ethernet cable direct-connected to my eero gateway device (your main wifi router). After setup was complete on my network using ethernet I moved the speakers to their final location (where they are connected to the network via wifi.)

Concerning, the location of my speakers: I made a couple of small changes that seem to have made a big difference. I moved a speaker from behind a potted plant--I wanted my speakers to be hidden--to in front of it. I moved another speaker onto a shelf, higher, to a place with a direct line-of-sight to my eero access point.

Since making these changes my Sonos system has been rock solid. I hope this helps.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I just started having a very similar issue. I own three players (P1, P5G2, and Connect) and can see them individually, non-grouped within my Spotify iOS app. However, when I launch the Sonos app only 2 of the 3 players are listed. I've tried closing out of the Sonos and Spotify apps, have rebooted my iPhone, unplugged the missing player, the P5G2, and reconnected, but I have not been able to add the missing player.

The thing is, I can play to the missing player directly through Spotify itself. Somehow the iOS controller is not seeing the player.

Submitted diagnostics report # 7201979.

Wish that customer service would be available on Saturdays.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you for the suggestion. I removed the guest and additional network in the 2.4 band and also changed the channel to 5 where there is no other traffic. Unfortunately the speakers dropped in and out again. The new report # from yesterday is 7199969. FYI, I power cycled my router not long before requesting the report so you will probably see everything drop for a few minutes, but that didn't resolve the issues.
I heard that there is an alternate way of configuring the speakers (some private network instead of each speaker connecting to the router). Is this true? Could we try it? The drop in/out is extremely frustrating
thanks!

At this point it would be best to have our phone team take a deeper look into this issue. Please give us a call and reference case number: 170323-002936. Our phone number and hours are found here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I just started having a very similar issue. I own three players (P1, P5G2, and Connect) and can see them individually, non-grouped within my Spotify iOS app. However, when I launch the Sonos app only 2 of the 3 players are listed. I've tried closing out of the Sonos and Spotify apps, have rebooted my iPhone, unplugged the missing player, the P5G2, and reconnected, but I have not been able to add the missing player.

The thing is, I can play to the missing player directly through Spotify itself. Somehow the iOS controller is not seeing the player.

Submitted diagnostics report # 7201979.

Wish that customer service would be available on Saturdays.

Hi rubeo,

There's some wireless interference showing up which could explain the issue. If you have a Sonos unit wired into your network, please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.

If your system is fully wireless, try changing the channel on your router. We recommend trying channels 1, 6 or 11 as they do not overlap with each other.
Hi. I am having the same problem.i have a play 5 and a play 1 one at ground level and one upstairs on standard set up. My diagnostic report # is 7672140
same problem with sono 5 1st Generation. sometime it appears but when i try to play on it it gives an error and disappear. My diagnostic report # is 7713962.
My speakers have also been dropping in and out - nothing has changed as my ISP and router are the same as before. I just submitted diagnostics. My diagnostic report #7727576. Can sonos please help in determining the cause of this problem.
Have you read jgatie's post from 8 months ago, and tried that fix?
no can you send it to me?
Ummmm, just scroll up on this page? It's the 13th post in this thread.