Answered

Rooms don't start at same time

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies
I have a multi-room Sonos setup that sonsists of 6 rooms: 4 stereo Sonos One pairs, a mono Sonos One, and a Beam. Whenever I attempt to play music through grouped rooms, whether via Alexa control, Spotify, or the Sonos app, the rooms don't all start together. One or two rooms will start immediately, and then every few seconds another room will join the mix. The sequence in which each room starts is always the same, so if I happen to be in the last room, it could be 12 seconds or so before I hear anything. The most frustrating part is that this doesn't just happen on the initial play, but whenever pausing and then playing again, restarting a track, or changing tracks - basically whenever I touch the controls.

Thinking the issue may be related to too many devices on the wifi network, I purchased a Sonos Boost. It had no effect.

Has anyone experienced this issue?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 February 2019, 05:25

But when they do "start", are they in sync with the other rooms?

If that's the case, I'm thinking that there's some sort of wifi interference that's causing them not to start up until the speaker can get the data from your system....but that's a guess.

At the very least, I'd try a power cycle on all of your Sonos speakers. I'd actually recommend unplugging them all, then rebooting your router, and then plugging them back in, one at a time, waiting about a minute between each one, in order to reset their order in your router's IP table.

But at the end of the day, I'm just guessing here. You may want to recreate this event, and then submit a system diagnostic, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

View original

6 replies

If that's the case, I'm thinking that there's some sort of wifi interference that's causing them not to start up until the speaker can get the data from your system....but that's a guess.

At the very least, I'd try a power cycle on all of your Sonos speakers. I'd actually recommend unplugging them all, then rebooting your router, and then plugging them back in, one at a time, waiting about a minute between each one, in order to reset their order in your router's IP table.

But at the end of the day, I'm just guessing here. You may want to recreate this event, and then submit a system diagnostic, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Airgetlam wrote:

Yes, when they do start, everything is in sync. I was thinking the same thing, but wan't sure what to do about it.

Airgetlam wrote:

This is a good idea. I'll see if I can manually drop the IPs from the DHCP table in my router config and then power-cycle each speaker.

Airgetlam wrote:

Thanks for the direction. I'll do this as well.
Pezzer wrote:

Airgetlam wrote:

This is a good idea. I'll see if I can manually drop the IPs from the DHCP table in my router config and then power-cycle each speaker.

To be clear, if the intention is simply to reorder the IP addresses this is an utter waste of time. The actual IP suffix is irrelevant. What matters is that conflicts don't occur, and in that regard reserving fixed IP addresses in the DHCP server makes total sense.

Incidentally, after a router reboot/reset there is absolutely no need to stagger the startups of the Sonos devices. After boot they go into a fast DHCP poll and as soon as the link layer path to the DHCP server is established they obtain an address. If the devices were in any way sensitive to boot order just imagine the mayhem after every brief power supply outage. It simply doesn't happen, though it can take a few minutes for the system to fully reconnect.

Unless there are indeed IP conflicts the reported symptoms definitely suggest a wireless issue: range and/or interference. A diagnostic should assist Sonos Support in establishing the root cause.
ratty wrote:

Pezzer wrote:

Airgetlam wrote:

To be clear, if the intention is simply to reorder the IP addresses this is an utter waste of time. The actual IP suffix is irrelevant. What matters is that conflicts don't occur, and in that regard reserving fixed IP addresses in the DHCP server makes total sense.

Unless there are indeed IP conflicts the reported symptoms definitely suggest a wireless issue: range and/or interference. A diagnostic should assist Sonos Support in establishing the root cause.

Right, it just occurred to me also that with the Sonos Boost, everything is connected to an isolated network, so the DHCP concept doesn't make sense. I'll try experimenting with positioning (for range) and get a diagnostic report together.
Pezzer wrote:

Right, it just occurred to me also that with the Sonos Boost, everything is connected to an isolated network

No it isn't. It's merely on a different wireless segment. Everything is still on the same subnet, served by the same DHCP server.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Pezzer wrote:

Right, it just occurred to me also that with the Sonos Boost, everything is connected to an isolated network, so the DHCP concept doesn't make sense. I'll try experimenting with positioning (for range) and get a diagnostic report together.

No, the Sonos devices still obtain their IP addresses from the local DHCP server.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings