Roku Remote lost volume features

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

I have a Sonos Ray hooked up to a TCL Roku TV.

I like it a lot ~ but have 2 problems that did not exist before the soundbar. 

1)The Volume Level is not displayed on the TV.

2)The Volume does not increase when you hold it down. You need to keep pressing it.

Is that correct. If I upgraded and got a Beam with an HDMI cable will that solve the problem?

10 replies

Maybe.

(1): You need an HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC connection to the TV before this is possible.  At this point it is up to the TV to display the Volume Level, but in general don’t expect this. You may have nothing displayed or a simple ‘+’ or ‘-’. When BEAM is connected via an HDMI cable it can “chat” with the TV and the TV will send Volume commands to BEAM over the HDMI cable. Maybe, the TV will display the Volume number, maybe not. Maybe someone who has this model TDL TV will comment on their experience.

(2): The TCL remote is issuing IR commands and RAY can be trained to accept these commands. Unfortunately, there are often two sets of IR commands in use: ‘single press’ and ‘continuous’. An example of a single press command might be “Volume Up” and this is issued once for every press. If one holds the button down, there may not be a continuous string of these “Volume Up” commands. Another scheme might emit a string of “Volume Up” commands spaced at some interval. If this interval is too short or too long, the controlled device, in this case RAY, may ignore the follow on commands. Finally, some devices send an initial “Volume Up’ command followed by a string of “Continue” commands while the button is held. It’s possible that RAY is ignoring these “Continue” commands.

For (2) there are two potential solutions. First, while training RAY, hold the button for a couple seconds or until RAY acknowledges the learn. I’m not optimistic that this will be successful, but it’s worth a try. Second, if the TCL remote supports this, claim that you are controlling an arbitrary A/V receiver. Just pick a model that is not nearby, then train RAY to use these Volume commands.

In general control data sharing over HDMI can be problematic or it can be a breeze. When it works, the two units will recognize each other when initially connected and share data transparently -- without any user interaction. This success story can be interrupted by a firmware update of either party or a third party, such as a cable box. When this happens, you won’t have any friends because this “never happened before”, and must be someone else’s fault.  Then a few weeks later the issue might mysteriously fix itself after an update.

Thanks for the Quick Reply Buzz.  

The TV is brand new and has an eHDMI input.

I believe your answer to the second question is regarding only the Ray. I’m more than happy to upgrade to the Beam if the eHDMI solves either one or both of the problems. I do not have a cable box or any other device going into the TV. I’m not looking forward to asking TCL or Roku because who knows what rabbit hole they will take me down. (I’m sure both will suggest buying their sounderbar)

I have 10 more days to return/exchange the soundbar and or the TV ~ 

so hopefully I can get an answer beforehand. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the TV has an eARC or HDMI-ARC output, I’d go for the Beam. Since that’s connected through HDMI that will also send commands the TV gets via the remote, you will not have to teach the soundbar or remote anything to change the volume on the Beam.

My Beam has always functioned very well in this respect with the two Samsung TV’s I have used it with. Can’t speak for use with TCL as they are not sold where I live.

Thanks 106rallye ~

I talked with a friend using a Beam with his Apple TV. He didn’t need to multi click the Volume on the Apple Remote. But didn’t get a screen graphic. He could use the TV’s remote for that. I’m all about having 1 Remote only. It looks like I will return the Ray and will wait till The Beam is available. They are currently 3 weeks backordered. But I still might not have an answer before then.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

With my Beam (gen 1) and 2019 Samsung I do get a screen graphic when changing volume, but only up or down, no numbers. It does not bother me, but I’ve seen users being very bothered by this.

That’s a function of the TV set, and not a signal generated by the Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You’re right of course, but I thought I would just mention it since TS wants this feature, but maybe would expect numbers to be shown for volume.

I have a tcl 6 series tv and ray soundbar. The remote that came with the tv uses a proprietary Wi-Fi signal to allow voice commands.  It then uses rf to control the tv channels, etc.  in purchasing a different Roku remote on Amazon for $10 without the voice capabilities, ir is included along with rf on the new remote. Everything works now though the volume level is not displayed on the tv as you would find with an hdmi arc connection.  

The “volume on the TV set” is specific to the TV set’s programming, and has nothing whatsoever to do with Sonos, or Roku, for that matter. 

Sorry if I was not clear.  The original remote was not recognized by the Ray.  The new remote is and controls the volume on the ray which is optically connected to the tcl tv.  Both remotes control channels, etc on the t .