Roku model with Atmos support?

• 15 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Can someone please confirm what Roku models actually support Atmos, including support for the commonly used services as well? (Netflix, HBO Max, etc.)  Please respond based on your own personal experience. I’ve already reviewed Roku’s website and literature and it’s not clearly obvious. I’m trying to decide if I need to change streaming platforms as I have an Arc arriving soon and I’ll be picking up an Arcana device as my TV doesn’t support earc or DD+. (2015 Sony) Thank you. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7

I use the Arcana and have the older Roku Ultra 4660X model. I can get Dolby Atmos on Disney+, Apple TV+, HBO Max, and VUDU. If I adjust the scaler setting on the Arcana, I can also get Atmos on Prime Video. Dolby Atmos on Netflix is not supported. But I believe the latest Roku Ultra model supports Dolby Atmos audio on Netflix.

If you want a media device that supports Dolby Atmos from all the major streaming apps, get an Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield.

Badge +1

Thank you for that reply.  I would ideally be looking for Atmos via Netflix. I thought I had heard that Roku did have a model that would support Atmos via Netflix. (Express 4K model? 3941)  I’m guessing that my exiting Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ would support Atmos for many of the services you mentioned with the exception of Netflix. Short of buying a new tv, I’ll definitely need to purchase the Arcana.  I’m just trying to determine whether or not it would make sense dropping $250 on an Arcana for a 2015 TV or just bite the bullet and upgrade it. The TV still looks great with no issues. It was Sonys flagship TV back in the day. 

Userlevel 7

According to this website, the Roku Express 4K+ (2021) supports Atmos on Netflix. The Roku Streaming Stick+ does not.

I was in the same situation as you. My Panasonic plasma was purchased in 2013 and doesn’t support 5.1 or Dolby Atmos pass through, but it is still a fantastic TV with great picture quality. So rather than spending $1,500+ on a new TV, I purchased the Arcana. I have been using it since it was released in Fall 2020 and have not regretted it. I have a Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K, and Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player connected to the Arcana and they all work great with my Sonos Arc.

Badge +1

Interesting matrix. It appears that only ATV and Nvidia have Atmos support across all services. I still have an ATV4K kicking around from a few years back but I’m not sure if I want to go back to that platform. Thank you. 

Interesting matrix. It appears that only ATV and Nvidia have Atmos support across all services. I still have an ATV4K kicking around from a few years back but I’m not sure if I want to go back to that platform. Thank you. 

The latest Fire TV Cube has Atmos across all apps that offer it.  It also has Dolby Vision.