Answered

Roam wont charge!

• 22 April 2021
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 2

Just got my hands on the new Roam today and  can’t get it to charge.  

its plugged in with cable provided, solid orange  light on the front of it and can see it’s charging on the app but it’s stuck at 20% all day now. Won’t charge up.

any ideas what to do here, very frustrated with this problem. 

thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit, light is slowly flashing orange it was only solid orange when speak on but problem remains the same.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 April 2021, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My brand-new Sonos ROAM sat on a 15W adapter all night and didn’t recharge at all.  It was plugged into a laptop USB port prior to that for almost a week and got to only 37%.   Now it’s again plugged into the 15W adapter but the app can’t find it.  I’ve pressed the awful power button but can’t tell if it’s on or off, due to the complete lack of feedback on that process.

So I have a speaker that won’t recharge & a laughably-bad Power On/Off button, I’ve decided to return this product and will just buy another Bose product.  

What a letdown.

I have the same identical issue, Sono’s have really thought though this product well, yes I also agree the about the awful power button , it is not reactive it doest not give a feel it you have pressed it or not and it its function is confusing, I own 3 other excellent very portable and compact BlueTooth speakers, excellent sound quality with excellent base and mid and treble. “Marshall, JBL, and Bose is excellent too.  Planing to return mine too, with all the same issues as you also highlighted. 

Really strange about the Roam charging issue mentioned above🤔.. is the 15w mentioned the power input perhaps? My USB PD (power delivery) 18W charger as shown in the below link charges both my Roams to 100% in under 2hrs. 30mins. at a power-output rate of 5v/3A (15 watts).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08QYJMBT8

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My brand-new Sonos ROAM sat on a 15W adapter all night and didn’t recharge at all.  It was plugged into a laptop USB port prior to that for almost a week and got to only 37%.   Now it’s again plugged into the 15W adapter but the app can’t find it.  I’ve pressed the awful power button but can’t tell if it’s on or off, due to the complete lack of feedback on that process.

So I have a speaker that won’t recharge & a laughably-bad Power On/Off button, I’ve decided to return this product and will just buy another Bose product.  

What a letdown.

As mentioned in my threads above (Please read the above thread history )  I am using all Sono Roam accessories products  purchased form Sonos direct and not a 3rd party charger products or from Amazon. 

(i.e. Sonos Roam Wireless Charging Set with its own dedicated AC wall Plug with lead supplied  purchase separately at cost for £44 GBP. also tried using the other method using the USB C lead supplied with the  Sonos Roam, and with the issues mentioned. As I have mentioned in my earlier thread above (please read) and the same problem highlighted by the person in the above thread “ MVM 1969 mentioned” and by many in the Forum here and else where of the same issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

What a letdown.

As mentioned in my threads above (Please read the above thread history )  I am using all Sono Roam accessories products  purchased form Sonos direct and not a 3rd party charger products or from Amazon. 

(i.e. Sonos Roam Wireless Charging Set with its own dedicated AC wall Plug with lead supplied  purchase separately at cost for £44 GBP. also tried using the other method using the USB C lead supplied with the  Sonos Roam, and with the issues mentioned. As I have mentioned in my earlier thread above (please read) and the same problem highlighted by the person in the above thread “ MVM 1969 mentioned” and by many in the Forum here and else where of the same issue. 

Here it is if you're  not sure: https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/roam-wireless-charger.html

The Sonos Roam Wireless Charging Set with its own dedicated AC wall Plug with lead supplied  purchase separately at cost for £44 GBP.

So have you not contacted Sonos Support to discuss the issue with them? - maybe the unit or charger is faulty.

I can only speak from my own experience and both my Roams are working/charging fine here. If you’re not happy with the device then simply speak to Staff via the usual link here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Haha ha —- why would you assume that I or any Sonos customer would not have, find you question illogical and waste of everyone time . I am wiring this on the forum like anyone else highlighting problem FYI for sonos community. I have brought two Sonos roams to use it as a stereo pair when need and had also purchased  two Sonos wireless chargers with it two and both have identical problems. Logically there is a problem like we all have mentioned ( not just me ) take time to read the Sonos Forms and on other forums out there where users have high red the same issues.

FYI - it is a well known fact that it is Manufactures recommend not to use 3rd party Electronic and electric parts and accessories as there as issues with safety and compatibility, it is recommended not to . 

@bobmatt,

Ah I see, I just didn’t realise that you had spoken to the Sonos Staff to resolve your issue, that just wasn’t clear to me. Good to see you have taken that option.👍

I didn’t understand your last paragraph, as my Roam did not come with a charger?? ... I see that Sonos do sell a charger for the Roam, as an accessory/optional extra, but I just opted to use my own chargers, each of which have certified safety markings applicable to the U.K./European markets. I’ve had those chargers for some time as they were/are used to charge several other devices in the home that also didn’t come with a charger. 

The chargers and the two Roams I have all work just fine and will charge the speaker-battery to a full state inside of 2-½ hours, giving me 11+ hours of playback time (on average) from each device and as mentioned by many online, the speaker produces incredible quality audio-output for its size.

I personally tend to ‘group’, rather than ‘pair’ the Roams using Soro and iOS shortcuts, as the grouping/ungrouping, volume level and playback etc; can all be done automatically with a single click, or by using a voice instruction.

Hey y’all!   So, I was/am having the same issue.    I did figure out though that if you let your Roam fully die then suddenly it’ll charge properly.   It may be a power issue, but I’m guessing more of an update issue where it isn’t registering to charge until it’s dead or something.   I’ve tried a few times now and it works beautifully with the charger it came with…just still annoying to not continue powering it properly while using it.   

Same problem. Received new Roam yesterday, worked and sounded great but unable to charge today. Tried a new 3A output charger with no result. Spoke with Sonos and sending back to Sonos tomorrow. Such a nuisance especially as we are trying to stay home and socially distance. Results will be posted later. Stay safe everyone

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

UPDATE:

I knew I was not crazy. Sonos has finally acknowledged (to me) that there might be a software bug preventing the roam from charging wirelessly regardless of power supply. I spent a month back and forth with tech support. Sonos lower-level support was not helpful, but after my case was escalated, they had me try many different charger/power supply combinations, after which they finally started to believe me. Here is what Sonos support said to me in their latest email (for context, I have a black and a white Roam:

“I've looked over the diagnostic with the Black Roam and see the same thing that the other Roam showed, a low incoming amperage. The battery temperatures are all in a healthy range though, so no worries of any problems there. While I was out, some of the other engineers identified a possible bug on our handling of charging that I think your roams are falling under.  Essentially the unit keeps thinking it's battery is full while wirelessly charging even when it's clearly not.  That has a fix coming in a future release and I think our best bet is to hold off on using the wireless chargers until that release hits.  I'll keep this ticket in my box as I have been and reach out to you once I have word on the fix's release.”

@petridish38,

Can you kindly clarify a few things please…

Are you using the Sonos Qi wireless charger, or a 3rd-party certified Qi charger? If 3rd-party, which charger is it, as that may possibly help others here, if they have that same Qi pad?

Presumably this has no bearing when using the USB-C port for charging the Roam with or without, the Sonos supplied charger?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@petridish38,

Can you kindly clarify a few things please…

Are you using the Sonos Qi wireless charger, or a 3rd-party certified Qi charger? If 3rd-party, which charger is it, as that may possibly help others here, if they have that same Qi pad?

Presumably this has no bearing when using the USB-C port for charging the Roam with or without, the Sonos supplied charger?

All the chargers I have tried have been 3rd party Qi-certified chargers. Sonos admits they all meet the requirements to charge the Roam -- yet they don’t charge it. I think it would be better to have a list of chargers that work than a list of ones that don’t. I haven’t found one that actually works despite Sonos claiming that “any” Qi-certified charger will work. They just stated that they suspect a software bug and a fix is in the pipeline. I’d rather wait for this update than try to do any more troubleshooting like identifying chargers and making a list. I think -- at this point -- the most helpful thing for people here is to know that Sonos has acknowledged the possibility of a software bug and they are working on a fix.

Thanks for your input.

@petridish38,

Just to add then, this 3rd-party dual Qi certified charger (see link below), which I got from Amazon, is currently working okay with the Roam for me. Whilst it is a ‘fast’ Qi charger that supports upto 2 x 10w power output, the Roam will only charge (wirelessly) at a ‘standard’ 5w anyway.

I personally prefer to use a 5v/3A (15w) PD USB-C charger, as those will quickly charge the Roam fully in approx. 2hrs-30mins from ‘empty’.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QYSHM8P