Answered

Roam wont charge!

• 22 April 2021
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 2

Just got my hands on the new Roam today and  can’t get it to charge.  

its plugged in with cable provided, solid orange  light on the front of it and can see it’s charging on the app but it’s stuck at 20% all day now. Won’t charge up.

any ideas what to do here, very frustrated with this problem. 

thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit, light is slowly flashing orange it was only solid orange when speak on but problem remains the same.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 April 2021, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Your charger block appears powerful enough (2.4A per port).   And I have had good experience with Anker as a brand.

Maybe it is the Qi pad?   Perhaps it is exceeding the power abilities of the Qi pad?  That 5V 1A on the Qi pad suggests that might be the issue.

Is there no light on the Qi pad?

Try a different/newer Qi pad perhaps?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Given that the charger block should be powerful enough, and a usb-c cable was supplied in the box, try directly charging without the Qi pad.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

petridish38

Your charger power output (as per my screenshot from your video) at the correct voltage of 5V is only 1A - it’s not enough to charge the Roam.

Thank you for your replies.

I think there is some misinterpretation of the information Sonos has provided to consumers. I am willing to admit I misread, but I have looked at this 100 times to make sure I’m not crazy… I don’t think I am reading this wrong. Below is my interpretation...

A. Their website says any qi certified charger, so that should be enough to suggest there is a problem and its not with my qi certified charger.

The image below suggests there are three ways to charge the Roam (way #1 in red, way #2 in blue, way #3 in green).

B. Even if a 5w qi-certified charger were not enough, the one in my video is 10 watt

The box for the charger even says as much…

C. In an email I received today from Sonos support, they say that Roam can only accept a 5W wireless charge.

D. My USB power brick is also not underpowered.

Plus, Sonos support also saw the videos I posted to YouTube and had this to say about all of my charging pads:

I am not trying to start anything here, but nothing you have provided from the Sonos website supports the argument that my charging setup is at fault. Sonos support themselves tells me my setup is correct. I guess I am just here to see if anyone else is having the same problem with wireless charging.

Thank you for your replies.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Given that the charger block should be powerful enough, and a usb-c cable was supplied in the box, try directly charging without the Qi pad.  

Thanks Arefkay. It does charge fine with the supplied USB-C cable and this is what gets me by in the meantime.

But for my use (and one big reason I bought this speaker to only keep in my bathroom) I want to be able to just pick it up and set it on a dry shelf in my shower, then return it to charging after my shower without worrying about plugging/unplugging wires. All the documentation from Sonos says that I am able to do this with a qi-certified charging pad.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The only other thing I can think of is which Qi charging protocol version is required.

The older Qi compatible versions did not provide as much power as the newer Qi protocol versions.

It sounds to me like there are some protocol handshaking “smarts” required of the Qi pad as well as the charger block for this to work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(standard)

When I bought my current Qi pads and power block I made sure they were at the current protocol levels.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks Arefkay. I will bring up the Qi charging protocol to Sonos support to see what they think. Still seems like their responsibility to specify the minimum required protocol version in their documentation, but maybe it was an oversight on their part. If that is all it is, that would be great!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I just looked up the Anker 24w 2-port USB.  The model I just saw (which may or may not be the same) does not support the QualComm Quick Charge 2.0 standard.    

https://www.anker.com/es/products/variant/2port-usb-wall-charger/A2021321

I don’t know what quick charging protocols the Roam expects.  So I may be totally barking up the wrong tree.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I just looked up the Anker 24w 2-port USB.  The model I just saw (which may or may not be the same) does not support the QualComm Quick Charge 2.0 standard.    

I don’t know what quick charging protocols the Roam expects.  So I may be totally barking up the wrong tree.

I just realized that if it works with the USB-C it would probably do the same power charge handshaking.  So the Anker should not be an issue.

Still points to the Qi charger pad.  If you can borrow a newer one from some friend to try?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I just realized that if it works with the USB-C it would probably do the same power charge handshaking.  So the Anker should not be an issue.

Still points to the Qi charger pad.  If you can borrow a newer one from some friend to try?

Thanks. I have purchased four different charging pads over the past week and none of them work. Given that Sonos says any Qi-certified pad will work, I am not sure I want to buy another one. Do you have a Roam that you could throw on a Qi charger overnight and see what happens?

petridish38
My understanding and belief from what I’ve read is the Roam’s USB-C charger needs a minimum of 7.5w power output. That’s 5v x 1.5A, but think of that as being the minimum .. you would of course be better off with 10w to 15w power output. So somewhere between 5V x 2A  to 5V x 3A. - I have personally chosen the latter 5V/3A and it takes around 2hrs 15mins to charge the Roam battery fully.

The Qi wireless charger charge rate I think for Roam is around 5W (so this charges much slower) but to get that power from a wireless charger you need at least a 10W Qi pad as the wireless chargers are much less efficient .. and that’s to get it to charge at its 5W maximum (if you’re lucky) The Qi charger posted in your video says it would do 5W 5V/1A and it may (eventually) charge the device if you leave it on charge with mic off for 24+ hours, but because of Qi charger inefficiencies, I personally would chose a higher Qi power output than 5W, otherwise you maybe waiting a long time for it to charge.

The two port 5V/2.4A USB-C adapter shown in your last post will work fine, but I see you have tested that and have it working already.

I have personally been using one of these Qi chargers…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QYSHM8P

It still takes over 6+ hours to charge the Roam fully from an ‘almost empty’ battery state, but it’s ideal just to keep the device topped up overnight. They’re just not as efficient as a USB-C charger.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

My two Roams are being charged with the following:

INIU Qi-Certified 15W Fast Charging Wireless Charging Pad Model WI-210

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08MT446KL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the charging power is coming from the USB ports on the JACKYLED Wall Mountable Surge Protector with 10 AC Outlets 4 USB Charging Ports. 2.4A per USB port.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08L7JYJZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sonos is trying to keep the price of the Roam competitive.

Do you prefer a Roam with a charger plug for $189 or a Roam without a charger plug for $169?

I just prefer clarity on the need for a beefy charger. I had mine boxed up and ready to send back before reading this. 

I tend to agree Martin,  quite annoyed I now need to go out and buy a charger.  Poor show Sonos 

I bought the 10w x 2 on Amazon.  Charges 2 roams

27 dollars.   Don’t get the one for 50 but they should have put on the box like they did the move.

typical Sonos they made it cheaper than other speakers but leave the charger as an outsider accessory.   Roam sux so far since you have to constantly keep it charged until they fix it.

I’m telling you right now if their way of fixing this is to release a roam Gen2 and charge $269 for it I’m sending the $8000 worth of stuff I bought from them back tomorrow

What is the power output of the charger you are using? The Minimum requirements are 5v/1.5A (7.5w), but I would personally recommend using a 2A or 3A charger (10w-15w).

Would an even higher amp than 2 or 3 work?  I saw a couple 4A’s on Amazon. 

What is the power output of the charger you are using? The Minimum requirements are 5v/1.5A (7.5w), but I would personally recommend using a 2A or 3A charger (10w-15w).

Would an even higher amp than 2 or 3 work?  I saw a couple 4A’s on Amazon. 

I’m not sure, it might ‘possibly’ harm the battery in the longer term.

5v/2.1A is the output Sonos use for their own charger, but I see on the base it mentions 5V/3A and that power output works just fine for me. If you do go with the 4A then please let me know how it goes.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Do you prefer a Roam with a charger plug for $189 or a Roam without a charger plug for $169?

Such a silly reply statement here, so biased every time when there are

any discussions on Sono products and don't want to accept the genuine concern of issues any Sonos product. Guitarsuperstar might be a Share holder at Sonos, or he works there or has families working there. As we have seen many of his ill logical replies on other Sonus forum with the same defensive comments. 

Why is it that someone who has a different opinion than yours must have a vested interest?

His viewpoint makes good business sense to me as a Product person.

And I’ve not seen any of these ill logical (sic) replies he makes on any Sonus (sic) forums, his replies here in this forum are to the point, and seem accurate, from my perspective as a long time user of Sonos. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Testing How long will the Sonos Roam take to Charge?  

Test 1: Using Sonos Roam Wireless Charger unit with its provided cable and Power Plug 

(Dock Magnetic Charge from AC Power outlet)

Date: 02 June 2021

@4:00 pm: 5% Charge 

@4:30 pm : 13 % Charge

@5:00 pm: 15%  Charge

In progress (& will update) 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I just prefer clarity on the need for a beefy charger. I had mine boxed up and ready to send back before reading this. 

Logical and Well answered 

Totally agree. A S%%tsh%£$et Sonos

Best product ideas but not seeing it through. Apple smash you on customer support and thinking it through. Just got a Roam for Father’s Day and had to lie to my kids about how good it was after going through 30 charger blocks that we have in our house of which NONE worked.

If you are making it that we need a non standard charger block either warn clients or do something about it. Very POOR

PS it DOES charge on a standard off the shelf wireless charger!! But took LOADS of searching on the web to establish this!!!

Does anyone have any problems charging using an apple 12w power adapter? It says output: 5.2v-2.4a, which is compatible right?

My Roam keeps dying even when its plugged in, and then it’ll start charging on its own after about 15-20 minutes. I’ve had it for about a month and this has happened a few times. Is my Roam defective? Please let me know if anyone else has a similar issue!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Does anyone have any problems charging using an apple 12w power adapter? It says output: 5.2v-2.4a, which is compatible right?

My Roam keeps dying even when its plugged in, and then it’ll start charging on its own after about 15-20 minutes. I’ve had it for about a month and this has happened a few times. Is my Roam defective? Please let me know if anyone else has a similar issue!

Yes I have the same issue too, my Roam is less than one month new. It also dont hold it charge when fully to 100%, and when the unit is fully powered off (no Led’s showing) After 2 or 3 days when trying to switch it ON it indicates 0%  charge left. so have to charge again for it to work. 1) When I am charging it  using  it’s supplied with the Roam its USB lead using the SONOS three pin wall AC plug (i.e. The AC wall  Plug supplied with the Sonos Roam Wireless Charging Set which I had purchased separately at cost for £44 GBP. This method of charging has taken about 4- 5 hrs to fully charge 100% and 2) when using the 2nd method of charging using Sonos Roam Wireless Charging Set with the Sonos AC wall plug ot take more than 10 hrs to fully Charge to 100%. Talking with Sonos Tech support said the Roam will be constantly checking and refreshing the network IP address even when the Roam unit is fully powered off/ switched off (with no LED’s displayed) and said for this reason the battery power will drain down without it being used.  I find this as an issue and problem I dont need and is unacceptable. As had mentioned in my posts in the this community , I had comparing with three other world renowned portable Bluetooth speakers I have in my house (makes: MARSHALlL, JBL, IKEA-ENEBY) All of them keep full charge (on average approx. at 98% charge) even when it is powering off and not used for one month and Marshall scoring the best (99%) and is able to run for more than 5 hrs of play for a few days after a month not being used and the others near this the same too. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Testing How long will the Sonos Roam take to Charge?  

Test 1: Using Sonos Roam Wireless Charger unit with its provided cable and Power Plug 

(Dock Magnetic Charge from AC Power outlet)

Date: 02 June 2021

@4:00 pm: 5% Charge 

@4:30 pm : 13 % Charge

@5:00 pm: 15%  Charge

In progress (& will update) 

See my findings - as mentioned today in this subject forum

Badge

My brand-new Sonos ROAM sat on a 15W adapter all night and didn’t recharge at all.  It was plugged into a laptop USB port prior to that for almost a week and got to only 37%.   Now it’s again plugged into the 15W adapter but the app can’t find it.  I’ve pressed the awful power button but can’t tell if it’s on or off, due to the complete lack of feedback on that process.

So I have a speaker that won’t recharge & a laughably-bad Power On/Off button, I’ve decided to return this product and will just buy another Bose product.  

What a letdown.