Answered

Roam "offline" and won't reconnect

• 18 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Help with Roam, please.

I have 2 Roams. One white and one black. The white Roam is working fine. However for the past couple days the black Roam has been appearing as "offline" on my Sonos app and I cannot reconnect it to my system. 

Furthermore, when I try to use the "Find my device" feature in the Sonos App to try to repair the connection, the App says that I need to update my App, which is not true as I have the latest update and my App is set to automatically update anyway.  When I try to update the App manually, the Sonos app freezes. 

The App issue and the Roam issue may be two separate issues but they are definitely related in so much as I can't even begin to re-connect my black Roam because the "find my device" function is frozen at the "update your App" stage. 

The black Roam is fully charged and works on Bluetooth.

Wi-fi signal quality is not an issue either because I have tested the white Roam next to the black Roam and it works fine.  I moved the black Roam next to the wi-fi router and Sonos boost with no success. 

With other Sonos devices I might restart them or attach an ethernet cable to re-sync it with the wi-fi network. But because the Roam does not have an ethernet input and I can never tell if I am turning it off correctly, I have no other options.

Anyone have any ideas?

icon

Best answer by DuranDoranMartell 18 July 2021, 16:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I would power-off (completely) all devices for a minute or so - that’s a 5+ second press on the rear power button of the Roam until you hear the descending power-off jingle. Then power back on and try again.

If problem persists also reset your Sonos App and on re-opening the App connect it back to the ‘existing’ Sonos system. You will be invited to press the Play/Volume-up buttons on one of your Roams to connect to the system, or hit the ‘join’ button on one of your other Sonos devices. 

Next check in the App and install any updates, as required.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I got around the app update issue by going directly to Google Play and downloading the latest update from there.

I then turned off the Roam as suggested by holding the button down 5 seconds. It's kind of a difficult thing to do, as the button is quite recessed and it's hard to tell if the button is even working. 

Anyway, after those two steps the Roam appeared online. Good times.

Userlevel 1

I would power-off (completely) all devices for a minute or so - that’s a 5+ second press on the rear power button of the Roam until you hear the descending power-off jingle. Then power back on and try again.

If problem persists also reset your Sonos App and on re-opening the App connect it back to the ‘existing’ Sonos system. You will be invited to press the Play/Volume-up buttons on one of your Roams to connect to the system, or hit the ‘join’ button on one of your other Sonos devices. 

Next check in the App and install any updates, as required.

Thanks, this was a great reminder that just pressing the power button until the light goes off is not the same as a complete power off which is identified by the power off jingle.  I followed this procedure and my roam appears on my app as it should.  Thank you!

Roam is in an offline status, however the blue light is on, It won’t turn off, I’ve tried to reset and it does nothing. I have had the roam speaker for about 6 months.

Roam is in an offline status, however the blue light is on, It won’t turn off, I’ve tried to reset and it does nothing. I have had the roam speaker for about 6 months.

Assuming the device isn’t faulty at all in some way, it appears from your description you are connected to it over Bluetooth and using it in Bluetooth mode. Perhaps see if pressing/holding/releasing its rear power button for a couple of seconds until you hear the second tone fixes it. (Note that the initial button press itself is the first tone).