Answered

Roam audio glitching

• 12 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I have recently bought the Roam (fabulous), and noticed it has a tendency to glitch its audio. These are very minor audio dropouts lasting (at a guess) a couple of hundred milliseconds, but happen repeatedly. It has happened when grouping the Roam to the Arc (part of Sub+1s setup), when playing TV audio to the Roam, or just music. The Roam is close to lots of Sonos speakers, so range is not an issue. Whilst playing say from Spotify, the Arc setup plays smoothly, but Roam just stutters annoyingly.

It’s as if there is interference that Roam is susceptible to, whilst Arc is not.

I am only using Sonos app S2.

I have had Sonos for over a decade and not had this problem before (except when there were bandwidth / internet issues).

I have yet to try with other Sonos speakers - I have a Move and several others to experiment with, but I thought I’d ask if anyone has experienced this with their Roam too?

Many thanks

Andy

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 June 2021, 00:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have two Roams and not seen the issue.

You haven't mentioned which WiFi band you have attached the Roam to? If it’s the 5Ghz band, perhaps switch it to your routers 2.4Ghz band on fixed channel 1, 6 or 11 and set the channel-width to 20MHz and see if that solves your issue.

Badge +1

Thanks Ken,

I am using the Sonos Boost; would this negate the choice of router band?

No, not at all, as the Sonos Roam (and the Sonos Move too for that matter) do not use (SonosNet) the Boost device for a network connection, they each work differently to the general Sonos products and link directly to your wireless access point. So the suggestion in my post is still an option to try.

Badge +1

Thanks Ken,

Doh, I didn’t realise Move and Roam connect via WiFi. I’ll try your suggestion and look at their band and try swapping.