Answered

Right Hand Channel of Move Pair Keeps Dropping

• 8 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Good afternoon,

I have a new Sonos Move that I have assigned to a stereo pair of an existing unit.  I am finding that the right hand unit keeps on dropping out.

At the moment, I have music coming out of the left speaker, but not the right.  If I change the balance to the right speaker, I get silence.  I’ve just submitted a diagnostic, number 2131499804.

If I unpair the stereo pair, both speakers work.  If I then repair, it works, but then it drops out again after a while.

Yesterday, I chatted with with a support agent online.  They said that one speaker was on channel 34, the other was on channel 42 and as such it didn’t work.  They asked me to unpair and repair (which fixed it).  I went through “I’ve already done that - it will just happen again”.  They suggested changing the sonosnet channel from 11 to 1.  Quite why changing the 2.4GHz channel would affect speakers running on 5GHz, I don’t know.  But, the agent assured me that would fix the problem.

Unsurprisingly, I’ve just pressed play and found that again my right hand speaker doesn’t work.

How do I get the speaker to stop dropping out?!

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 January 2022, 15:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Try putting the Moves onto your Routers 2.4Ghz WiFi Band with a channel-width of 20MHz ..and set the channel to a non-overlapping channel, either 1, 6 or 11 and whichever channel you choose, just ensure that the SonosNet channel is completely different. See if that resolves the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion!  I’ve managed to get my 2 x Moves connected to my routers 5GHz network.  Hopefully this will now be more stable.

However…..I then noticed that my pair of Play:1 speakers were exhibiting the same behaviour.  I’ve attempted to get these connected to my router’s 2.4GHz channel using System → Network → Manage Networks → Update Networks.  When I do so however, it tries to connect to the speaker in question, but the speaker gives me a solid orange light and the app times out whilst connecting.  I then have to power cycle the speaker to get it back.

What’s the correct procedure for getting my Play:1 speakers to use my router?

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion!  I’ve managed to get my 2 x Moves connected to my routers 5GHz network.  Hopefully this will now be more stable.

However…..I then noticed that my pair of Play:1 speakers were exhibiting the same behaviour.  I’ve attempted to get these connected to my router’s 2.4GHz channel using System → Network → Manage Networks → Update Networks.  When I do so however, it tries to connect to the speaker in question, but the speaker gives me a solid orange light and the app times out whilst connecting.  I then have to power cycle the speaker to get it back.

What’s the correct procedure for getting my Play:1 speakers to use my router?

Thanks

That sounds like you were doing things correctly. I would just try it again using the ‘update networks’ option.