Rhapsody Connection Timeouts should be resolved / Track Search Issues Resolved

• 24 December 2008
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 2
We are currently seeing a number of users reporting issues with Rhapsody playback. We are currently investigating these issues with Rhapsody and will let you know when we have more information.

update 4:00 pm

Rhapsody appears to be experiencing drop outs, we are looking into all new incidents and working towards a resolution.

Happy Holidays,
Shiloh

41 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello,

I have over the last 2 months been exeriencing very frequent "unable to play....your connection to Rhapsody was lost"..

nothing has changed in my configuration over the last few years and this is very frustrting and new ??

If there is any solution I would love to know.

Thank you
Rhapsody continues to experience intermittent problems with the Rhapsody Direct Music Service. Until this condition is resolved, users may experience Connection to Rhapsody Lost errors resulting in dropouts during playback as well as failures to initiate playback on new tracks

Rhapsody teams are working to resolve this condition as quickly as possible.
Userlevel 2
I'm a very new Sonos user (and a very happy one!). Turned on the Rhapsody trial yesterday and was pretty excited about the combination of Rhapsody and Sonos as well. Yesterday it all was working as intended (though did experience the occasional dropouts mentioned elsewhere in this thread). Today however the 'Search' function stopped working. No searches are successful, even for artists that are obviously in Rhapsody. All other functions, e.g Rhapsody Music Guide, etc. seem to be fine.
Userlevel 2
Dec. 25 3pm CST. Most searches are unsuccessful. Failures with both iPod controller and computer controller. We have guests and were counting on Rhapsody. This is a major failure I would have to say.

Sometimes quitting the iPod app and restarting it will work, but this is inconsistent and usually fails.
It may be too late for you, but enable the trial for Sirius... fantastic programming on plenty of their channels... and no dropouts.
Userlevel 2
Timing is everything ....what a frustrating experience this is on a holiday to not have the services of Rhapsody. This problem has been persistent for a couple of weeks now and would like to know a time when Rhapsody will responde to the user errors. Tried the free trial on Napster but the selections and functionality is not as great as rhapsody...what are other options for music servers
All Rhapsody search is currently failing.

Attempting to search for any artist, album, composer, or track, will result in the search returning "No results were found. Please edit your search and try again.

In addition, the problems of users losing connection to Rhapsody when attempting to listen to Rhapsody is still ongoing. You may experience dropouts when listening to Rhapsody tracks and receive the error message "...Connection to Rhapsody was lost"

These problems are both Rhapsody issues and no ETA on when this will be resolved is available at this time.

We apologize for the continued inconvience this has caused you and are working with Rhapsody to address these issues as quickly as possible.

I will post additional updates when they become available.
Friday 12/26/2008 08:36 PM EST

Rhapsody searches by Artist, Album, and Composer are now functioning. Rhapsody search by track remains unavailable.

Rhapsody is continuing to work on the Connection to Rhapsody was lost timeout issues that have been affecting most users.

An ETA for fully functional track search or for a resolution to the timeout issues is still unavailable.

We continue to put pressure on Rhapsody to resolve these conditions as quickly as possible. I will provide updates at least twice a day until these issues are resolved.

Thank you, Todd - Sonos
Userlevel 2
I just wanted to say thank you for your prompt attention to the Rhapsody issues. Search does seem to be working well now (I don't usually search by track, so not encountering that issue). As a relatively new Sonos owner, I must say that my experience with both the Sonos products and the overall customer experience has been the best I've had with any consumer electronics product in many years. Keep up the great work!
Userlevel 2
"As a relatively new Sonos owner, I must say that my experience with both the Sonos products and the overall customer experience has been the best I've had with any consumer electronics product in many years."

I've had Sonos for a while now, and the experience you've had is typical--Sonos' customer service is the best anywhere. Unfortunately, they have to work with companies whose customer service is abysmal (like Rhapsody).

The restored search for Rhapsody is appreciated. And the dropouts are happening less frequently, although it's still a serious issue. (In other words, I can now listen to 4-5 songs before the dropout, rather than being lucky to get one song.)
Monte,

If you are still having dropouts today with Rhapsody, can you please submit a diagnostic and contact us at Sonos support. Rhapsody made changes last night, that should have almost resolved the playback issues. If you are still having problems today with playback, I need to know about it.

Please submit a diagnostic and either contact us at live chat or review one of our contact options. An email will be fine.
Saturday, 12/27 3 PM EST

-Rhapsody has informed us that their playback issues (Connection to Rhapsody was Lost error during track playback) should be resolved as of this morning.

-Rhapsody track search remains unavailable. Rhapsody Artist, Album, Composer search are working normally.

If starting today you continue to experience Rhapsody playback issues and are receiving the error message on your Sonos Controller that "...Connection with Rhapsody was lost", please do the following:

1. Submit a diagnostic on your Sonos system after you have a playback error. To submit a Sonos Diagnostic, please see the following Sonos FAQ "What are diagnostics and how do I submit a diagnostics report":

2. Record your Diag Number.

3. Send an Email to Sonos support with the following information:

-A brief one line description of the problem you experienced with Rhapsody.
-The time you experienced the failure.
-Your Sonos Diagnostic number.
-Your Rhapsody account user name.

You can submit an email to Sonos support by clicking on the "Please contact us at Sonos Support at the following contact page.
Todd, I do appreciate the updates, but I want to let you know that although you are reporting that Rhapsody search by artist is back to normal, I have noticed some problems. On occasion, I search by artist via my Sonos, and get the messsage "No Results were found" -- but when I search Rhapsody via the web interface, it finds the artist. For example -- try searching for "McIlwaine." Via the web, Rhapsody leads me to ELlen McIlwaine; on Sonos, I get an error message. But I can successfully search for one of her albums via the Sonos controller -- just not by artist last name.

Although I have had (and reported) the recent problems that others have had with Rhapsody connection losses, I had never noticed any problems with the Rhapsody Search function until a couple of days ago.

I'll keep experimenting, but wanted to let you know all is not quite functioning properly, so you can keep working with Rhapsody to get service for Sonos users restored.

Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Actually, since posting, I have had zero dropouts, listening for about two hours. That's great! Thanks!
Note that Rhapsody Direct uses a separate set of servers from the web based service. There are at least two consequences of this separation.

First, new additions and corrections to the database appear on the web based service first. Rhapsody direct may be a few days behind.

Second, there are timeouts associated with the Rhapsody Direct service. I'm not sure if these are part of the Rhapsody side or the SONOS side of the interface (probably both sides), but the end result is that if replies arrive too slowly, the "No Results were found" will be the ultimate outcome. In some cases I've had "No Results were found", but a few minutes later results will be returned for the same tracks.
Buzz,
Thanks, but the failures I'm seeing in the Rhapsody "search by artist" function don't seem to be related to new artists or recent updates, etc. For example -- when I Search by Artist via my Sonos controller for "Enya," the only results I get are for a group called "Enyaphace." Enya herself does not pop up -- but I get Enya with no problem searching on Rhapsody software via the web. I can't figure out why the database would have different information about established artists for Sonos users than for other users.

I'd be curious -- do you get a different result? I wonder if there are differences by user?

I've sent a note to Sonos tech support, and am waiting to see if they have any thoughts about this. Haven't yet tried to contact Rhapody directly.
walera,

I tried "enya" and "Enya" with the same results as you have seen, however, if I search for "enya" as a composer -- success. You gotta love these computers!
-Rhapsody track search remains unavailable. Rhapsody is working on this issue and hopes to have a resolution shortly. Rhapsody Artist, Album, Composer search are working normally.

-Rhapsody has informed us that their playback issues (Connection to Rhapsody was Lost error during track playback) should be resolved as of this morning.

-Rhapsody playback issues should be resolved including issues resulting in "Connection to Rhapsody was Lost" error messages.

If you continue to experience Rhapsody playback issues and are receiving the error message on your Sonos Controller that "...Connection with Rhapsody was lost", please do the following:

1. Submit a diagnostic on your Sonos system after you have a playback error. To submit a Sonos Diagnostic, please see the following Sonos FAQ "What are diagnostics and how do I submit a diagnostics report":

2. Record your Diag Number.

3. Send an Email to Sonos support with the following information:

-A brief one line description of the problem you experienced with Rhapsody.
-The time you experienced the failure.
-Your Sonos Diagnostic number.
-Your Rhapsody account user name.

You can submit an email to Sonos support by clicking on the "Please contact us at Sonos Support at the following contact page.
Userlevel 2
No playback or search issues at the moment, but now I am unable to add or remove albums from my Rhapsody Library.
Badge
Nope, didn't fix it for me. I'm having the same issue and though I can browse 'My Artists' in Rhapsody, I get the message 'Unable to browse music' when I push into a particular artist from the controller.

Pandora works fine but I'm also having issues with Sirius today.

Guess I'll submit a ticket too
Badge
Update.

I can play music from my Rhapsody playlists, but cannot, in any way, browse any other item within the 'Rhapsody' tree. This includes channels.

Weird?
Just wanted to report that as of Monday night, I was able to search Rhapsody by track, so it looks like this has been fixed. Thanks for the efforts of the Sonos folks to work to see that Rhapsody was working to address this.
As of last night, Rhapsody track search issues were resolved by Rhapsody.

We apologize for the extended inconvenience this caused.
Userlevel 2
I cannot search rhapsody on my desktop controller. When i hit search on the tree nothing comes down. Thanks
Userlevel 2
Rhapsody worked great all morning - friends are arriving in 45 minutes and I can't get anything from Rhapsody to play.

**Infuriated**