Question

Resetting S1 System after Changing Mesh Routers

• 28 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

I had an Orbi mesh router that died. I bought an eero mesh router. I have about a dozen speakers under the S2 umbrella. I reset it up using the Boost wired into a Desktop tp-link gigabit Switch which is then plugged into my eero router. No problems. Easy as pie. I try to set up my S1 players ( I have 5) and it will not recognize them. I try as an existing system, it asks me to update to S2 which I can’t. So I try setting up new system, enter my login info. set up Sonos products (only option) can’t find them. Tried wireless to find them but also wired one of them into the switch as well. It did it once and worked, then when I disconnected it to move it to where it belongs it stopped working. Tried to recreate it and doesn’t recognize it. Also rebooted them as well. Do I just reset and start over or am I missing something?

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Jeffrey_35.

Thanks for reaching out to us about your concern and thanks for a detailed description on what was already done and what happened.

I would like to guide you on how to Connect Sonos to a new router or WiFi network. This guide will show that what you did (connecting it to the router via wired connection worked) is the first step. All we need to do before disconnecting the ethernet cable from the Sonos device we connected to the router is to open the Sonos app and go through wireless set up. All of the steps necessary is on the guide.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always ready to help.

Thanks,

Badge +4

So, the guide doesn’t make sense at all for me. I am using my old Play 5 I have it plugged in to my Switch. I open up the app and the first thing it tells me now my Version unconfirmed. Not sure if that’s because I am on Beta for S2 or just a fluke thing. No way to update. I want to set up a new system (if I do existing it tells me to update to S2). Log in, version unconfirmed, set up products, (nowhere do I get a learn more-change settings as it states in the guide), do not press any buttons on my Play 5-product not found, try again pressing the mute/+ buttons to get yellow light and product not found, try again unplugging and plugging back in power and not found and finally remove the ethernet cable and nothing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

HI @Jeffrey_35.

Thanks for the detailed and immediate response. 

I would like to recommend while working with the Sonos S1 app together with the Sonos Legacy products, Is to unplug from power all Sonos devices that work with the S2 Sonos app. This is for us to be able to separate all Sonos devices to their corresponding Sonos apps.

The guide above is a follow up to your situation indicated that if we have connected the old play 5 to that switch, it works but when unplugged from the switch it does not work again. 

The guide above will allow you to go through wireless set up on the Sonos S1 app. This step is crucial before unplugging the ethernet cable from the old play 5 and from the switch.

Please let me know if you still have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Badge +4

Thanks Paul back for the quick response back. It never worked again after trying to set it up a dozen times or so. Before seeing this response I ended up having to reset to factory all 5 products that are on S1 and resetting them up again. I lost all my music services and will have to redo them but oh well. I am still getting a weird update error however. Under About My System it says I am on 11.2.1 but all those products just say 11.2 build 57377280. When I try to update it gives me an 1101 error. Tried it a couple of times and still same error. It looks like the next step would be to reboot my modem/router. Any other thoughts?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Jeffrey_35.

Thanks for the immediate response. Highly appreciate it a lot.

Let me first explain that once we perform a factory reset on any Sonos device, It wipes out/deletes permanently all information stored on it. This includes music services, playlists, Voice Assistant (if applicable), Wifi Network, and Sonos account it was registered to. The Sonos device will act as if it is brand new and it will act as if it is being set up for the very first time.

Regarding the error code 1101, Here is the guide on what to do once error code 1101 shows on the Sonos app during an update.

Please let me know if you still have any other issues or concerns

Thanks,

Badge +4

Yes, I 100% understand that about a reset. Id did follow the guide and I still get the version unverified pop-up. It all works but I am just concerned the next time I have to do an update on S1.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Jeffrey_35.

Thanks for the Immediate response.

Do not worry about any up coming updates on the S1 App ONLY since the major update that came last May was the last and major update it will receiving. Any updates on the near future would be bug fixes and security patches only. These updates would be a discreet update and a quick one. you have nothing to worry about anymore.

With the that being said, I would like to clarify that the Sonos devices that are only compatible with the Sonos S1 app would still work moving forward. They will not be bricked. They will just stop receiving major updates and additional feature updates since they have reached their internal maximum capacity.

Please let me know if you still have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,