Answered

Repeating music and ads

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

No, plays the whole song then just starts the same song over. I didn’t really notice at first but now it’s driving me crazy.
Then Smilja's answer seems correct.

If it was stopping midway through a song, and then repeating it, it might have been an issue with wifi interference or a duplicate IP address causing your speakers to occasionally lose connection, and then reconnect to your signal.

But if it's playing the entire song, then it is indeed most likely an issue with the streaming service. Important to note, they usually have different "portals" for different listening. So when you connect with an app on your computer, you're connecting to a different server than when your Sonos connects.
My music, whether from Pandora or Amazon Music, is repeating. Not every song, but every few songs, and even ads, are repeating 2-3 times before it moves on to the next song. Help!!
It happens to me, too, and it is torturous!!
That's a pretty good indicator that your speakers are losing connection with the station, then reconnecting again, most often due to wifi interference.

Note that we're talking the network from your router to the speaker, not the download speed of your modem. If the speaker breaks contact with the router, then it normally will try to re-establish connection, and often that causes a repeat of information.
Does it end before the end of the song, i.e. midway through, and then restart the song?
This repeating problem didn't happen when I first set up my Sonos 1 at Christmas. It played fine. Then it started skipping songs after a few seconds, now it is repeating songs 2 or 3 times. I've tried rebooting everything. Driving us crazy to the point we are no longer using our Sonos!
Each song now plays to completion, then restarts at the beginning.
Odd. I'd certainly recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Since today's Sunday, I'd probably go with the 24/7 support areas on either Twitter or Facebook, the phones wouldn't be available until tomorrow during business hours.
Each song now plays to completion, then restarts at the beginning.
Have you checked that 'Title Repeat' isn't being enabled?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3272#repeat
Title repeat is not on.
We just bought a Sonos 1 gen 2 and are having the same issue with Pandora repeating songs. It doesn’t happen using any other music player. Has there been any luck with a fix?
Frequently, repeating songs (and commercials) can be attributed with an issue where the speaker drops from its wifi connection, and then reconnects, restarting the stream from the last known point. Most often, this is a result of wifi interference.

If the link there doesn't help, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
The same thing with my new 2nd gen sonos 1 speakers. Installed them 2 weeks ago with amp. On fios 1gb internet. Songs will repeat from Amazon and Pandora. I don't understand how these speakers are 200 each but an echo which is 99 doesn't have this issue
Same issues. Play pandora or amazon. No problem. Go to Sonos Repeats 2-3 times including commercials on Pandora. Need a answer quickly. Spent a lot of money on 6 play ones, 2 subs and a boost. Not happy right now.
Badge
The problem is that Sonos doesn't control your wifi, or your router, so sometimes those things need to be looked at.

WIthout a paved surface, the best Ferrari can't go max speed. That's not Ferrari's fault.

Yes, will look, but Sonos markets itself as being able to "play with" these devices, in fact, in needs them. This reminds me of WIndows back in the 90's when adding a device was a big deal and they first introduced the concept of "Plug'n Play". Which of course became known as "Plug and Play Around"....
Badge
A proper consumer-ready product shouldn't require consumers to know the first thing about, or be concerned with, IP address and router issues. That said, "Unplug speakers and router, then plug them back in" is a pretty simple fix - if it works. Tried it, hope it does - I did it about an hour ago and so far no repeats so I'm cautiously optimistic. Of course, it didn't fix the other new issue I've been wrestling with for the past few weeks now - one (and only one) of my speakers now won't play music using Alexa - at all. I can query Alexa on that speaker all sorts of things and it works, and I can play music on that speaker using the sonos App via my phone/laptop, but I cannot voice-command Alexa to play music on any music service I have on that one speaker. Really flummoxing because Alexa voice controls still work great to play music on the other speaker I have in another room. I've tried a couple of the other several online solutions to overcome that problem (it appears to be a pretty common and known problem as well), but so far nothing I have found online has worked. Great sound from these speakers and love everything about them when they are working properly - too bad the execution is still going through growing pains, and the fixes seemingly too-long-coming...

It does sound simple, maybe, but there's always unintended consequences...and you question whether or not to leave good enough alone, lest you bring the whole thing down.
I'd suggest you read my replies above. In 95% of the cases, that's the issue.
Same issue here: 1237151185
Here’s another one 1789814027. Happens many times a day
Same issues guys. The songs are repeating generally just once before moving to the next song when I access Pandora through my Sonis app or Alexa on my Sonis Play One. It is not my wifi. It does not drop out except during a power outage.

This was not happening until a month or so ago. It's now regularly happening. Sonis, we have a problem.
I have songs repeating themselves and wouldn’t recommend sonos to friends until this is resolved. I seemed to have found if I open the app and “end session” the problem temporary is fixed. However if I stop the music with Alexa voice command and start music again. It it it it repeats.
618649090 triple repeat and when asking Alexa to skip she says I can't skip any more songs, but I have had premium Pandora forever. Skip works from app
I've done everything you said to do but reserve the ip addresses. Don't know how to do that. I'm with everyone else. Plays fine with all other devices, just not the Sonos.. Saw on a post somewhere that they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. I hope so. Have just sat here and listened to James Taylor twice, will see if it's going to be 3 times.
The same thing with my new 2nd gen sonos 1 speakers. Installed them 2 weeks ago with amp. On fios 1gb internet. Songs will repeat from Amazon and Pandora. I don't understand how these speakers are 200 each but an echo which is 99 doesn't have this issue
I spoke with customer care twice and they stated it is an issue with the built in alexa. They are supposedly going to move it up to amazon to fix. They told me "don't expect a phone call back only if we need more information. No time frame of when this issue will be fixed".