Repeated unable to find Sonos

Badge
Hi, newbie here so please go easy on me. We keep losing the Sonos on our WiFi....start the app and it can't find Sonos. We had a Bridge and now have a Boost connected directly to our Virgin Media hub and it still loses it. The only way to get it back is to remove power from the Boost and reapply. Am I doing something wrong? It's really frustrating to have to go turn the power off then wait when I should be able to connect immediately. Thanks in advance.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Diagnostics:

Your confirmation number is: 1864627301.

Thanks for sending in the report. It was sent while your controller could not see any Sonos components, so there's not much information in the report. Generally, if you have a Sonos unit wired into your router, it isn't hard to see that unit in the controller. You may want to check the ethernet cable between your Boost and router. Try unplugging it and plugging it back in, or perhaps try a different ethernet cable.

I notice you're using a PC to run the app. Sometimes the computer's firewall or antivirus programs can block the connection. Try going through these steps to configure any firewall or antivirus you may be running.

If that helps, send along a new diagnostic report while you can see the Sonos units in the app. If not, do you have another device you can try using, such as a smartphone?
Note that Jeff and his co-workers are M-F during business hours. If you're interested in a more timely response, you may want to contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Badge
Jeff, it would appear that your suggestion to move the Boost a little further away from the router has, for now at least, solved my problem. Since I moved them 2 feet apart, I have never had an issue with not finding the Sonos system.

I hope you other guys manage to solve your issues.
Badge +1
Make sure WiFi is turned on in your controller (iPhone, Android, etc.) and you are connected to the same WiFi network as your Sonos system.
Badge
You might want to try the Sonos support on twitter as they are open 24x7. The Sonos support folks try to respond to diagnostics posted here when they do visit but miss a fair number of them.

Thanks Stanley, but I don't use Twitter.
Did you mange to sort ? I am on Virgin and just started to have this problem in the last week or so and suspect an update from Virgin as the wifi constantly bounces between 2g and 5g though I am not sure the best way forward
Badge
Did you mange to sort ? I am on Virgin and just started to have this problem in the last week or so and suspect an update from Virgin as the wifi constantly bounces between 2g and 5g though I am not sure the best way forward

No, not yet. It's intermittent so difficult to confirm. I suspect it's the Virgin router as I've had both a Bridge and a Boost, both with the same symptoms.
do you have superhub 2 or 3
Badge
Diagnostics:

Your confirmation number is: 1864627301.

Thanks for sending in the report. It was sent while your controller could not see any Sonos components, so there's not much information in the report. Generally, if you have a Sonos unit wired into your router, it isn't hard to see that unit in the controller. You may want to check the ethernet cable between your Boost and router. Try unplugging it and plugging it back in, or perhaps try a different ethernet cable.

I notice you're using a PC to run the app. Sometimes the computer's firewall or antivirus programs can block the connection. Try going through these steps to configure any firewall or antivirus you may be running.

If that helps, send along a new diagnostic report while you can see the Sonos units in the app. If not, do you have another device you can try using, such as a smartphone?

Hi, thanks Jeff.

The Boost is wired to the router and I have now changed the ethernet cable for a brand new one so will wait to see what happens.

I checked my firewall and the Sonos was not being blocked.

I will try to send a diagnostic report from my phone app when/if the issue occurs next.

Thanks again.
Badge
Sent in another diagnostic: 1980189268 from my wife's mobile phone app.
Badge
Sent in another diagnostic: 1980189268 from my wife's mobile phone app.

Removed power from the Boost, reapplied and the Sonos worked fine. Listened for a few hours, turned it off then just came back to it and again, couldn't find the Sonos on my wifi. Another diagnostic sent; 620705361
Badge
Note that Jeff and his co-workers are M-F during business hours. If you're interested in a more timely response, you may want to contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

Thank you.

There's no rush, we have a UE Boom 2 speaker we can use as an alternative. I'll wait until they get back into work, I also don't use FB or Tw.
Completely understand, I'm not a fan either, but in case you were in an "urgent" situation, I wanted to provide an option 🙂
Badge

Sent in another diagnostic: 1980189268 from my wife's mobile phone app.Removed power from the Boost, reapplied and the Sonos worked fine. Listened for a few hours, turned it off then just came back to it and again, couldn't find the Sonos on my wifi. Another diagnostic sent; 620705361
Thanks for sending in the reports. They don't show much, however, as the Sonos components aren't able to send diagnostic information when they're not showing in the app.

If you can send a diagnostic report while the speakers show up in the app, I'll see what more I can find out. I'd also recommend simplifying your setup a bit. Try powering off the Bridge and Boost, then just wire in one of your speakers directly to your router with an ethernet cable.

If it's still unstable, the next steps would be to run some network tests to see what the speakers are doing when they do not show in the app. This is something our phone team could help out with.

Jeff, thanks.

I just collected my new phone and tried to connect. It couldn't find the Sonos. I tried to "connect to existing..." and ended up pressing the 2 buttons on the nearest speaker but nothing happened and there was nothing in the app I could do to progress....the app assumes that pressing the 2 buttons will make it work. It didn't. I ended up connecting the Boost (I don't use the Bridge anymore since I bought the Boost) as a new Boost and it then connected fully. I sent in an immediate diagnostic, number 120923225, as you requested above.

I can connect a speaker by cable but it is awkward due to the positioning of the router which is not in the same room as the speakers so clearly not a long term solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sent in another diagnostic: 1980189268 from my wife's mobile phone app.Removed power from the Boost, reapplied and the Sonos worked fine. Listened for a few hours, turned it off then just came back to it and again, couldn't find the Sonos on my wifi. Another diagnostic sent; 620705361
Thanks for sending in the reports. They don't show much, however, as the Sonos components aren't able to send diagnostic information when they're not showing in the app.

If you can send a diagnostic report while the speakers show up in the app, I'll see what more I can find out. I'd also recommend simplifying your setup a bit. Try powering off the Bridge and Boost, then just wire in one of your speakers directly to your router with an ethernet cable.

If it's still unstable, the next steps would be to run some network tests to see what the speakers are doing when they do not show in the app. This is something our phone team could help out with.
Jeff, thanks.

I just collected my new phone and tried to connect. It couldn't find the Sonos. I tried to "connect to existing..." and ended up pressing the 2 buttons on the nearest speaker but nothing happened and there was nothing in the app I could do to progress....the app assumes that pressing the 2 buttons will make it work. It didn't. I ended up connecting the Boost (I don't use the Bridge anymore since I bought the Boost) as a new Boost and it then connected fully. I sent in an immediate diagnostic, number 120923225, as you requested above.

I can connect a speaker by cable but it is awkward due to the positioning of the router which is not in the same room as the speakers so clearly not a long term solution.

This report shows much more information. I see that your Boost is showing wireless communication errors with your speakers. This is likely due to wireless interference, and changing the wireless channel may help. Also, make sure the Boost is not too close to your router, a couple of feet in between should be good.

If any issues continue, please send along a new report.
Hi there,

I have been experiencing exactly the same issue as skids over the past week or so, and is suspecting that the issue may be related to a software update on the Sonos system, as nothing else on my system has changed.

I pretty much tried everything from switching cables, and switching which Amp is wired to my router, but nothing works except from turning the power off on the Amp and/or the router. And that usually only works for maximum an hour or so.

I’m unable to send diagnostics when the problem occurs, as I’m unable to access the system, but I have tried sending You a diagnostic right after a reboot with the reference number 1283503512.
Hi again,

It seems I have solved the problem by disconnecting the Ethernet cable and switching Sonos to WiFi-mode. So I guess that there was some sort of conflict between my router and the Sonos system.

As I mentioned earlier, I haven’t changed anything in my system setup, so I guess the most likely reason is a bug in the latest Sonos software update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Skids, I have multiple issues with my VM SuperHub 3. In summary, at the moment I only ever have one device wired to the router and I have disabled the 5.0Ghz wifi. At the moment that has given me stability.
Badge
Legnum, the Boost is the only wired device connected to my VM Superhubby 3 thingy but I haven't disabled 5.0 and my issues have, for now, gone away.
Badge
Yup, wifi is always on on both our phones and our laptop and even using the laptop we have the same issue. We only have the one wifi network too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If your boost isn't working try hooking an Ehternet to another Sonos device and give it a few minutes to wake up. Submit a diagnostic to Sonos and then contact Support to have them look at the issue.

You can try troubleshooting on your own too, things like assigning static IP addresses on your router's DHCP page and swapping the Ethernet cable are a start.
Badge
If your boost isn't working try hooking an Ehternet to another Sonos device and give it a few minutes to wake up. Submit a diagnostic to Sonos and then contact Support to have them look at the issue.

You can try troubleshooting on your own too, things like assigning static IP addresses on your router's DHCP page and swapping the Ethernet cable are a start.

Stanley, thank you. I bought the Boost because I thought the issue was with the Bridge, but clearly it isn't. Maybe it's the Virgin Media Hub that's causing the issue. I'll take a look at what you suggest and how to do it.

How do I submit a diagnostic?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
skids

The other thing to try is to ensure that the wi-fi credentials are removed from the Sonos App. Devices can switch between SonosNet and wi-fi if you don't. To submit a diagnostic, please open the Sonos App>More>Settings>Advanced Settings>Submit Diagnostics. Please post the reference number in this thread or contact support via Twitter or Facebook.
Badge
skids

The other thing to try is to ensure that the wi-fi credentials are removed from the Sonos App. Devices can switch between SonosNet and wi-fi if you don't. To submit a diagnostic, please open the Sonos App>More>Settings>Advanced Settings>Submit Diagnostics. Please post the reference number in this thread or contact support via Twitter or Facebook.

Thank you. How do I remove the WiFi credentials?