Remote Control Volume up/Down issues on Playbase

• 14 September 2017
  • 23 replies

I recently swapped out a Playbar for a Playbase and am having volume control issues using an Xfinity remote. On the playbar you could just press and hold the volume up/Down volume to raise or lower the volume to the desired level. On the playbase I have to repeatedly press the volume up/down buttons to get to the desired level. How do I fix this? I do not see any settings to adjust this...

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, SSHONE1:

Welcome and thanks for reaching out to the Community. The PLAYBASE should react to the IR signals given from the remote. If the remote needs to be pressed repeatedly, it could be something with the remote itself. If you use the remote to change the channel on the TV, does the button need to be pressed multiple times for it to repeat? What is the make and model of your TV?
Userlevel 1
I'm having the same issue and it's not related to the remote. Previous operation was press and hold volume up or down button on remote and the Playbase volume would raise or lower until max/min level was reached, OR raising/lowering would stop if button pressing was stopped. NOW, I can only increase/decrease volume in incremental amounts regardless if the remote volume up or down button is pressed and held down, or just pressed and released. I've been using the same remotes (TiVO & Apple TV) and I've just recently noticed this new bug.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey, Iron_Mike:

Thanks for the rundown on whats happening. Out of curiosity, if you bring the remote right up against the IR reader of the PLAYBASE does the behavior change? I was able to test this in our lab, and the volume should change as the volume key is held down. If the button needs to be pressed multiple times it could be something interfering with the signal being sent to your PLAYBASE.
Userlevel 1
I will test this however the same behavior is exhibited by my Apple TV 4K remote as well.
Userlevel 1
No, placing the remote right next to the front of my PLAYBASE does not make a difference. I pressed and held the volume button on my remote while holding the remote directly in front of the left, middle, and right side of the front of my PLAYBASE. One thing to note, that while using the TiVO remote, the orange button lit and remained lit on the TiVO console (indicating continued IR reception), while the oblong white light on top of the PLAYBASE brightened, then dimmed back to the original brightness level prior to the volume button being depressed. While using the volume up & down buttons directly on the PLAYBASE, the oblong while light stayed brighter the entire time the buttons were depressed, and dimmed back to their original brightness level once I stopped pressing the volume up/down buttons.
I'm having the same issue. Repeatedly hitting the up and down volume changes it, but holding it does not change the volume.
I was having the see problem with my Comcast/Xfinity remote. I was able to fix the issue by using the Sonos app. In settings, you can set up the remote again. When asked to press a button the first time, I pressed and held the volume up button. Then was asked to press other buttons in sequence. After the set up, it worked fine!
Did that solution work for anyone else? I have an ATT Uverse remote pointing at a Playbase and I have the problem of needing to press individual times too. Holding the button during remote setup didn't fix the problem. Its not the end of the world but its kind of annoying.
Badge
Did anyone ever find a solution to this issue? I just swapped a playbar with a playbase and I have the same problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, jpapador. If you are still having this problem after swapping out players, it may be best to give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time.
Badge
I had this issue when I first connected my Playbase last year but a few updates to my Harmony solved it on its own. Not sw updates, just connecting the remote to the computer and updating the settings via the Harmony sw. My volume was smooth for as long as I pressed the volume button on my remote. But after the last Sonos update, the problem is back and I can't get my smooth, continuous volume adjustment back. It's super annoying. Any ideas from the Sonos folks on this? I'll try anything. I started a thread about it then.
https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/volume-adjustment-continuous-smooth-vs-stepped-multiple-button-presses-6789405
I’m having the same problemwith xfinity remote. I just had the soundbase set up. The volume works great with “clicks” up and down. But press and hold to no effect. Annoying because the volume can indicate 30 but zero sound. It’s verified by the app as volume all the way down. I’ll click the volume and it works. Tv can say 2 but sonos will be 75% up. Tried the press and hold the volume during remote set up. Same result clicks only. The ir on sonos base while pressing and holding will stay bright but sound volume doesn’t change. Will also light up with each click and volume changes. Using an xfinity xr11 remote.
I’m having the same problemwith xfinity remote. I just had the soundbase set up. The volume works great with “clicks” up and down. But press and hold to no effect. Annoying because the volume can indicate 30 but zero sound. It’s verified by the app as volume all the way down. I’ll click the volume and it works. Tv can say 2 but sonos will be 75% up. Tried the press and hold the volume during remote set up. Same result clicks only. The ir on sonos base while pressing and holding will stay bright but sound volume doesn’t change. Will also light up with each click and volume changes. Using an xfinity xr11 remote.

With a little self troubleshooting I reset the tv audio settings to default, reprogrammed the remote to the Sonos PLAYBASE and things have since worked without having to click. It also seems to have stoppped the tv speakers from turning back on as well!!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I know this dates back a bit but I'm having the exact same problem with a Vizio TV. I've retrained the remote multiple times but the volume only changes if I press the button multiple times.
To further muddy this it was working fine yesterday and the only thing I can think of that has changed is that I listened to some music on the playbase directly (not through the TV) and adjusted the volume with the app.
And before anyone point at the remote I'll say I also tried it with a programable remote and the behaviour is the same (it worked yesterday and doesn't today).
Come on Sonos there are dozens of people complaining about the exact same problem. It might be time to respond.
I am having the exact same issue with my playbase and Harmony remote. I only noticed it after the most recent update. The volume up and down were both smooth as long as I held down the button on my remote. Now I have to tap-tap-tap on the remote to get the volume to move one way or the other. Any solutions found yet?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Here's what I did to get my remote working again.
1) delete the remote from the setup
2) add the remote BUT,
3) when it asks to press the volume up button I pressed the volume down button. I was then asked to press a couple of others before the remote was added.
When I tried to follow the exact instructions and press the volume up button the remote didn't work properly.
I hope this helps someone.
After just updating to Sonos 9.0, my Harmony One remote is back to controlling the volume smoothly without have to tap it multiple times. Go figure.
Userlevel 1
Badge
"go figure" indeed. Except at this price we shouldn't really have to be figuring this out for ourselves.
Same problem with me. Vizio TV. The setup solution works for awhile but resets with every sonos update. Please fix this sonos team!
I've been having the same issue for months with my DirecTV remote. The simple temporary fix is to unplug and replug in the playbase, but this is incredible annoying as I have to move heavy equipment to do it. I have probably 30 or so Sonos components including 2 playbars and have never had this issue with anything else. Confident it's the playbase and worried that this hasn't been fixed yet!
After running into this bizarre issue with a Roku TCL TV remote, I found it took several attempts to get the IR timing right. Too short, and it wouldn't create the continuous press result that would allow for smooth vol+ and vol- one would expect- but rather a short burst that would require repeated pressing. Press too long and the Sonos learning app would think that no button had been pressed. What finally worked for me after about a dozen attempts, was a press (3x's of course) of about 2 seconds per press.It was a tight window, but it works perfect now. Good luck.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Here we are NINE MONTHS and every time Sonos issues an update I have to repeat this process to get my remote to work. I guess they're busy working on other things like Google Assistant... Oh, wait. grrrrr.
2) add the remote BUT,
3) when it asks to press the volume up button I pressed the volume down button. I was then asked to press a couple of others before the remote was added.
When I tried to follow the exact instructions and press the volume up button the remote didn't work properly.
2) add the remote BUT,

This worked for my Xfinity XR11 remote and Playbase. Kind of a convoluted solution but glad this is working again.