Answered

Recycled sonos connect by mistake!!

• 6 December 2019
  • 15 replies

Hi. I've been a bit stupid and got my connect and my bridge mixed up!! I've upgraded to a boost thinking that it would replace the connect but it obviously replaces a bridge. I did the 30% off thing by recycling the connect. But now I've replaced the bridge with the boost my connect  will be recycled in a couple of weeks and no longer be usable?!? The connect (which is connected to my TV surround sound system) cost £350 and I had no intention of getting rid of this!! Is there any away I can sort this out and not recycle. I dont mind paying the extra or whatever for the boost that I got 30% off. Help!!! Expires in 17 days!!!🤔🙁🤯

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 7 December 2019, 03:18

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, Oystonout. There isn’t an offer for upgrade of a Bridge, only for old Connect:Amp, Connect, and Play:5 gen1s (and the older models of the same devices).

There’s currently no way to restore a player that’s been recycled, or a way to stop the countdown once confirmed, which is why there are several steps to confirm the device. I’ll let the team know about what happened but I’m sorry to say I don’t have any good solutions for you. 

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, Oystonout. There isn’t an offer for upgrade of a Bridge, only for old Connect:Amp, Connect, and Play:5 gen1s (and the older models of the same devices).

There’s currently no way to restore a player that’s been recycled, or a way to stop the countdown once confirmed, which is why there are several steps to confirm the device. I’ll let the team know about what happened but I’m sorry to say I don’t have any good solutions for you. 

I hate this recycle option. My wife recycled my connect which is hooked to my Av receiver. She didn’t mean to kill it she just wanted to get the 30% discount for another one for her mother. Now it’s garbage. If anything why don’t they make it so other people can upcycle these to people like churches or day care?

There are about 5 or 6 warnings during the process that is it not reversible. Should we assume your wife ignored all of those warnings?

Perhaps I exaggerated that number, it’s been about a week since I did that process….but there were certainly several warnings, quite explicit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The gear being recycled is pretty old and is likely nearing the end of life phase. Don’t think Sonos is going to give out any 30% to just move the pending problems to another user instead of making them go away.

I love my Sonos gear which is proven by how much I have purchased and how many friends & family I have gotten turned onto Sonos that are now purchasers and users of the gear. However, I think this recycle program is very poorly thought out. We should *never* purposely plan for and force functioning and usable equipment into yet more landfill. Not cool Sonos 😒. Please think about the environment and come up with a better solution. 

I see the Connect Gen1 is still available for sale under the “Last Chance “ tab in the store. I suppose you could apply the 30% discount from your recycled Connect towards another Gen 1 Connect, Cheaper then getting a Gen 2 version and helps mitigate the recycling mistake a little bit at least. Also you get to retain your optical out and volume control which you might miss if you moved to a gen 2 model.

Userlevel 1

I’m a very big Sonos fan. I went from getting Sonos equipment myself to persuading my parents to change out their entire entertainment system for a Sonos multi-room, 5.1 Sonos setup. I just learned about the “recycling mode” problem that basically turns perfectly functioning equipment into trash. It also makes this move irreversible. Such a backwards and wasteful policy really makes me question whether I want to continue to use and promote these products. I have gotten members of my family and my wife’s family, as well as friends, to either get Sonos equipment or put it in their plans, but no change to this policy would force me to advocate for the contrary. Sonos, this is not ok. 

It’s entirely an option, not a requirement. I don’t understand the upset over this at all. They offer, if you want to update to a newer device, a 30% discount, with a commitment from you that you don’t just toss it in the trash and create more waste, but instead recycle it, so that the various parts can be handled properly.

If you don’t like that process, you can certainly sell it elsewhere, and use the money received from the sale to upgrade to a newer device, if you so choose, without getting the 30% discount.

But there’s absolutely no requirement on doing any of this. If you want to continue to use an older device, that doesn’t have all the features of the newer ones, you’re most welcome to. It’s entirely your choice, there’s no forcing of anyone’s hand, here.

Sonos is forcing you to upgrade all legacy hardware, otherwise new software updates will not work on any component (even brand new hardware) if old legacy hardware is also attached to the same system. 

Here is a verbatim quote from a Sonos email I received today:

“Please note that because Sonos is a system, all products operate on the same software. If modern products remain connected to legacy products after May, they also will not receive software updates and new features.

You can continue using legacy products after May, but your system will no longer receive software updates and new features. Over time this is likely to disrupt access to services and overall functionality.”

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I am shocked that Sonos would choose to implement such an eco-hostile bricking program! The Sonos brand will be remembered as peddling (expensive) disposable speakers. This is so far from the original Sonos brand of selling high quality, “future-proof, wireless, integrated speaker systems”.

I am shocked that Sonos would choose to implement such an eco-hostile bricking program! The Sonos brand will be remembered as peddling (expensive) disposable speakers. This is so far from the original Sonos brand of selling high quality, “future-proof, wireless, integrated speaker systems”.

Could you show me a link to where Sonos marketed themselves as “future-proof”, because I can’t seem to find one.  It could be me missing it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I bought my first Play:5 (gen 1) and Play:1 two years ago, after much thought, consideration and research – Sonos is not cheap! – indeed my speakers were registered in January 2018. And then, after just 24 months I’m told that they’re Legacy and potentially obsolete?? Cripes that’s mean!

The product sales description includes the following: 

“ Futureproof
Designed with tomorrow in mind, the speaker combines sleek looks with agile internal sensors and ongoing software updates. This ensures that you always have the most future-proofed audio solution, even as you grow your system over time.”

This is a current SONOS advert.

It states that you can ‘Build your system’ and ‘expand it any time’.

Looks like somebody forgot to tell the advertising department, that the management has changed it’s mind about all of that.

No, you cannot any longer expand your system unless you throw away all the stuff we sold you 5 years ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Where did you buy a Sonos Play 5 Gen 1 two years ago? What is the manufacture date, the first four digits of the serial number (not the MAC part) as YYMM.

Who is telling you that your Play 1 is legacy? If it is on your system status page you should contact Sonos and have them correct the database error.

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Could you show me a link to where Sonos marketed themselves as “future-proof”, because I can’t seem to find one.  It could be me missing it. 

Sonos boxed itself into a corner early on by promising customers free software updates for life. Chief Executive Patrick Spence testified at a congressional hearing this month: “Our business model is simple — we sell products which people pay for once, and we make them better over time with software updates.”

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-01-27/sonos-software-updates