Question

Recurring issue - IHeartRadio cutting out

• 4 November 2019
  • 55 replies

I understand this has been covered and fixed before. However, IHeartRadio channels are cutting out again, usually for about 10 seconds at a time. It seems to occur about every couple of minutes and has been going on for the last 3 weeks now.  I just submitted support diagnostics (Confirmation Number 379500762). Please advise.

55 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks Bruce...I have a support case going right now. More information on my specifics: No other source of audio is cutting out. I can stream iHeart on my laptop/desktop/phone without interruptions. It occurs when grouped and ungrouped on SonosNET. I have monitored the units during the iHeart outages and they are not dropping off my network nor do I see any major interference using a wifi analyzer.

This is why I am pointing towards a service issue with iHeart. I will post the results of the support case when it is resolved. Stay tuned.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a support session scheduled with Sonos on Wednesday. I will post a summary after we are done.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@markWC - I’ll set a reminder for myself on Monday and then DM you around 10AM PST.

I heard from iHeartRadio and their support person asked me to try some “Artist Radio” stations to see if the problem happens there. I listened to the Ed Sheeran station for ~45 minutes and then the Shawn Mendez one for a couple of hours and never got a dropout. If the rest of you get the same lack of dropouts on Artist Radio then it points to something that is specific to the way they stream/encode the live radio stations.

Sonos support also got back to me and said they’ve escalated the problem internally. A higher level support person is supposed to get in touch with me and setup a phone call. I said I didn’t mind putting the device into devel/debug mode (if they have such a thing) in case they want to ratchet up the logging. We’ll see...

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Welp...I just had a 4 minute call with escalated support. Can confirm what they told @rosenqui that they are now aware of the issue between Sonos and iHeart. They are working together on a fix. I am supposed to receive an email from support when the fix is released to see if problem goes away.

Good work everyone on keeping this in the forefront!!!

You can add me to this list, similar scenario, only on the connect:amp, using Sonosnet and only on iHeart. Interestingly it seems to only happen on the unit with Ethernet plugged in. Is that what others are seeing too? I have an active thread going on twitter with support. I pointed them here FWIW.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

And, just like that all of a sudden they are RMA-ing the CONNECT:AMP. Weird, as we were still troubleshooting. Oh well, hope it fixes the issue.

Jeez, I’ve got 4 Connect:AMPs. Hopefully they can fix it with a software update, although if they replaced them with the new amp then at least they’d stop bugging me to “trade up” the old ones every week.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Me too...ever since updating to 10.5 this exact behavior is seen on my end. I have my units configured as SonosNet

I have this problem too - For the last 3-4 weeks IHeart Radio  cuts out for 10-20 seconds every 3-5 minutes.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’ve pretty much given up on Sonos support for this issue. After 10 days of calls and emails, I never get the same person (even when using email) so I have to retell most of the story and then talk them out of going through the troubleshooting steps that have already been done.

If someone from Sonos reads this and wants to have a look at the diagnostics I’ve submitted, the most recent one is 1260688020 from Nov 18th. There were two drop-outs observed shortly before the diagnostic package was created. I was using the Connect:AMP for the “Office” zone at the time. The first drop-out was around 9:08:00 EST and the second was at 9:10:30 EST. This was around the time that the source iHeartRadio station (https://www.iheart.com/live/tsn-1200-7503/) went into and then came out of a news break. Dropouts happen in the middle of shows too, but they seem a bit more likely to happen when the station goes in & out of a news or commercial break.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@geldankat and @StuMc - on what Sonos gear do you experience the drop-outs?

For me, it’s only on my Connect:AMPs.  On a Playbar or Play 3 I haven't seen it, and if I group the Connect:AMP with either or both of the Playbar and Play 3, I can hear those zones keep playing during the 5-10 seconds that the Connect:AMP goes silent.

In the “About my system” info, my Connect:AMPs have:

Hardware Version: 1.16.3.1-1
Series ID: P100

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Update: During my RMA process I played the same iHeart station on my other AMP (I have 3 of the same - one providing outside but won't use that until spring). That one would cut out whereas before it would stay hot while my primary (the RMA'd unit) cut out.

*New AMP installed -same **** different day.

*New wireless router installed last night (different brand) -same **** different day. No, if you're wondering, I did not get a new router because of iHeart/Sonos though I was certainly optimistic it *may* solve the issue.

Thanks for sharing those details, we're actively investigating an issue that can cause unexpected audio interruptions in certain situations/circumstances. We've shared your details with our engineering team. Should one need they will reach out to you with further details. We appreciate your patience with us.

I’ll keep this thread posted.

I’m having the same problem, every 10 minutes or so it cuts out for about 10 seconds. Happens only with iHeartRadio on all my local channels. I’m in New Zealand. Doesn’t happen on anything else. Just happened again while typing this out so that was 2 minutes between drop outs.

Please sort this out it’s really annoying.

I’m having the same problem with iHeart radio dropping out.  We listen to local radio station content only.  Many iHeart local radio stations are dropping out.  I’m running 10.6.1 on Sonos:Connect and Sonos Speakers.  I don't believe that it’s a network issue, in that the problem manifests itself either wired or wireless.  Other services I play on Sonos do not drop the audio.  The Sonos App on my iPhone does show the iHeart Radio stream playing, just no audio.  My Sonos Speakers are much newer than the Connect.  I’m wondering if this is a Firmware Issue on the Connect, relating to a Codec problem.  Based upon the comments above, it seems that the problem is ubiquitous to Sonos’s older players.  Wondering if this problem has been seen in PORT.

Forgot to mention.  I too opened up a Ticket with Sonos Tech Support.  Spent an hour on the phone, with no resolution.  I’m thinking that their Tech Support organization needs access to an internal system which documents Common Anomalies (Without resolution).

I am interested in the outcome of this issue.  I only recently came across this thread although have been experiencing the same issue as described by others.  My initial research was primarily focused on iHeart service, although this thread has been illuminating.  The scenarios described above match my own.

Connect:AMP impacted, two units, one Ethernet the other WiFi.  Same dropout rate/frequency (5-10 seconds gap every few minutes).  Standalone Sonos speakers do not appear to be impacted.  I’ve confirmed other radio streaming services work seemingly without issue or interruption (TunedIn; and myTuner Radio for comparison).  Sadly my subject radio station is owned by iHeart and thus owns streaming rights, Washington DC: DC101 (101.1 FM).  Not available via other services to compare.

I realize I am not adding to the reported problem or sharing any revelations, but simply sharing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Ronans45 what is your setup? I think the most common in this thread is one or more :AMP units.

@markWC Sonos zone player (older version of the Amp) with wired speakers, Ethernet connection. Had no issues until the update. Had to switch to tunein station had not one problem since.

definitely not my setup. Has to be a glitch in the update. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I just got the 10.6 update, and the dropouts are still occurring, so the “additional performance enhancements and improved reliability” changes didn’t include anything for iHeartRadio 😢

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I got this from Sonos support last night:

I am one of the engineers here and I'd like to update you we are currently aware of the issue you are experiencing and are actively investigating the issue.  We currently do not have any further information to share but rest assured we will keep you updated.

Userlevel 2

Looks like an update is available...anyone notice a difference yet?  I am going to install but won’t get to test until tomorrow or Thurs personally.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Well lookey at that...Just updated. Going on 5 minutes and no cutouts yet but I will be able to get a better picture tomorrow.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’ve pointed support here as well, seemingly to no avail. They just keep asking me to try trivial fixes via their email replies, and when I walk them through everything that has already been tried, they ask me to phone in to speak to someone.

I’ve phoned in three times so far - once I got someone who seemed fairly capable and we went through a few steps to rule things out. He wanted me to connect each Amp individually to my Ethernet switch (they’re in an AV rack with their Ethernet wiring daisy-chained) and reboot them all. That was a task for another day and of course changed nothing, and I got a different person when I updated the case with the new info.

My last call had the Sonos tech ask me to try a few things for the first 15 minutes, including walking me through submitting a diagnostic. When I mentioned that the case already had 3 diagnostics attached to it, all captured a few minutes after cut-outs were observed, I was told “just a sec”, and then got dead air for 30 minutes. No music on hold, no response to “hello? anyone there?”, just dead air. After 30 minutes I hung up.

I opened a support case with iHeartRadio this morning on the off-chance that they give a crap… I’ll post here if they tell me to do anything that might be helpful.

One thing that I thought might be illuminating is if several of us listen to the same iHeartRadio station over a given timespan and note the HH:MM:SS when the audio cuts out. If it’s something in the way the source material is encoded, we should all hear the cut-out at the same point in the program. If it’s something related to network issues like bufferbloat between our home networks and iHeartRadio’s CDN, then we’ll probably get cutouts at different times.

If anybody wants to try that, let me know and we’ll figure out what timespan and station to use.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So since the connect has a EOSL in 4 months I doubt there are any updates slated to try and fix this issue.

Agreed. I’ll be switching to TuneIn for the stations that are available there rather than waiting for a fix.

I’ve got 16 Sonos devices - four are Connect:AMPs, one of which was purchased in late 2014. To say I’m pissed at the way Sonos is handling this is an understatement.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Funny...I updated my case this morning and they suggested hopping on a call and doing exactly what you went through with support. Guess I’ll save my time!

I’m willing to do the iHeart troubleshooting with you. Though, I really won’t have much time this week to do that. I should be available Monday. I’m on the West Coast. My morning usually slows down around 10am where I can pay closer attention to the cutouts. Name your station and let me know if that works for you with regard to timing.