Answered

Recurring issue - IHeartRadio cutting out

I understand this has been covered and fixed before. However, IHeartRadio channels are cutting out again, usually for about 10 seconds at a time. It seems to occur about every couple of minutes and has been going on for the last 3 weeks now.  I just submitted support diagnostics (Confirmation Number 379500762). Please advise.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 14 November 2019, 02:55

Ok, a few suggestions. 

Frequently, interruptions are an indication of the speaker having a hard time staying connected to your LAN. Most frequently, this is a result of wifi interference. And different sources have different tolerances for disconnects, so it could be happening for iHeart Radio, but not for another stream, like Pandora, etc. Worth checking the data in that link.

But of course, if your entire system is wired, it’s hard to have that interference. Frequently after a software update, there seem to be a lot of posts from people who are having issues with their router handing out duplicate IP addresses. This normally should clear up when the router renews the lease, but often people (like me!) don’t have the patience to wait, and don’t know how long the router is set up to do that process. This is easy to fix quickly, by unplugging your Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug your Sonos devices back in to the power. If this does indeed resolve the problem, I’d recommend looking in to how to reserve IP addresses in your router’s manual, and do every device in your home, it’s a good network practice.

But if that doesn’t alter your issue, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

The OP has decided to post his number here, and wants to wai for a community moderator to have the time to investigate, but I would recommend cutting the wait time by actually contacting Sonos support directly. 
I would certainly hope that there’s a response here soon, but there is no guaranty that the issue the OP is experiencing is necessarily the same as yours.  

View original

106 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, still having issues with speaker cutting out, now on Sonos radio, and have upgraded to Sonos 5 and also a port. It is only the speaker is this room that is having the issue, diagnostic number 2131003603. Everything has been rebooted in the past 24 hours. Have move the speaker around the room and same issue. Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me nuts....

Well, it has been over 10min now without a pause in playing.  What is my fix? Ha, simple, update Sonos software to begin using, wait for it…..SONOS RADIO….so instead of maybe putting effort into fixing what is causing the iHeart radio issue, they focused on getting their branded option to run smoothly.  Clearly sarcastic comment, but, at the same time, for me the one radio station locally that I wanted to listed to without interruption is in fact available on Sonos Radio and it is playing smoothly thus far.  This iHeart radio pausing has forced me to set new favorites between tune-in and now Sonos radio...but, things now work smoothly.  Just thought I would share.  I have no love loss for not using iHeart radio, just want the tunes here in my office.  

Came here to say this. Same experience. 

As a follow on to my recent post I have been working with Sonos support, although with little progress.  The usual cycle of test, recommend, diagnose.  I have received rapid response and at least in my situation the support staff have been diligent.  However no fix has been identified.  The closest remedy is to initiate radio streaming from an unaffected device (such as a standalone speaker) and then pair the Connect:AMP with that speaker.  Seems to reduce or eliminate the audio dropout.

Having said that much like @sizelove I too have recently updated and deployed the Sonos Radio streaming option.  Which includes partnerships with iHeartRadio and the associated radio stations.  I’ve been using this new service to stream the same stations, thus far without interruption - albeit for less than 24 hours.  I am not quite ready to consider this as resolved, although I am not sure I will expend a lot more energy since this is a viable solution and likely better in the long run.  I recognize the Sonos Radio is a part of a larger effort for Sonos to expand its offerings, while deploying improvements to their products and services.

Userlevel 2

Well, it has been over 10min now without a pause in playing.  What is my fix? Ha, simple, update Sonos software to begin using, wait for it…..SONOS RADIO….so instead of maybe putting effort into fixing what is causing the iHeart radio issue, they focused on getting their branded option to run smoothly.  Clearly sarcastic comment, but, at the same time, for me the one radio station locally that I wanted to listed to without interruption is in fact available on Sonos Radio and it is playing smoothly thus far.  This iHeart radio pausing has forced me to set new favorites between tune-in and now Sonos radio...but, things now work smoothly.  Just thought I would share.  I have no love loss for not using iHeart radio, just want the tunes here in my office.  

Nothing significant to share other than the fact I submitted my own ticket to Sonos support, along with a recent diagnostic report.  I will share any outcome or insights which may be provided by the support team.  The issue recurs often enough I would believe it can be replicated with a rather simple approach.  

I understand this has been covered and fixed before. However, IHeartRadio channels are cutting out again, usually for about 10 seconds at a time. It seems to occur about every couple of minutes and has been going on for the last 3 weeks now.  I just submitted support diagnostics (Confirmation Number 379500762). Please advise.

I HATE THAT SONOS ASSUMES WIFI INTERFERENCE WHEN CLEARLY ONLY SONOS IS HAVING THIS ISSUE ON OUR WIFI. THE FACT THAT THEY CONTINUOUSLY LEAD US TO FALSE FIXES FORCES ME TO NO LONGER RECOMMEND THEIR PRODUCTS AS THEY DO NOT OFFER RELIABLE SERVICE NOR PROPER SUPPORT WHEN THEIR PRODUCTS FAIL TO PERFORM

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, just reporting back in, have moved the boost as far as I can, close to 900mm from router and have changed the port. Still getting the drop out though. Have grouped some speakers through the Sonos 1 and have had better results. As others have stated only with iheart app. Aware that we have an issue but just want to keep updating you - with the world in lock down maybe a great time for those clever engineers to crack this nut..keeps ones mind off all the other crap…..

Hi there @nichoalsnystrom ,

It’s not usually a good idea to disable the WiFi on  Sonos products unless absolutely necessary, so you may want to hold off on that.

Do you know the make/model of your network switch and do you know if it is a managed or un-managed switch?

Is your Sonos Boost wired into that same switch?

If it is not, what is it connected to and how far from your Connect: Amp is it?

Thanks for the information Jean, I actually ended up factory resetting it and setting it up via wifi instead. Same issue as before with iHeartRadio cutting in and out. 

My switch is a netgear 24 port unmanaged GS324. My router is Amplifi HD. The sonos boost is hardwired to the network switch. 

Thanks,

Nick

Just wanted to update you and everyone else on this issue. I just got off the phone with Sonos tech support and the drop out issues were happening and submitted a diagnostic to them. After some investigation the tech informed me this is a known issue with the sonos connect amp I have. They are actively working on it and said they would update me when there is a resolution. Sucks but I guess that is the best they can do for now. 

Nick

Hi there @nichoalsnystrom ,

It’s not usually a good idea to disable the WiFi on  Sonos products unless absolutely necessary, so you may want to hold off on that.

Do you know the make/model of your network switch and do you know if it is a managed or un-managed switch?

Thanks for the information Jean, I actually ended up factory resetting it and setting it up via wifi instead. Same issue as before with iHeartRadio cutting in and out. 

My switch is a netgear 24 port unmanaged GS324. My router is Amplifi HD. The sonos boost is hardwired to the network switch. 

Thanks,

Nick

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @nichoalsnystrom ,

Hello @nichoalsnystrom

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report.

Is your Connect amp wired to a network switch or to an access point?  

Does this audio drop-out only happen on this particular room and this (iHeartRadio) service?

If you un-wire this unit from the network and reboot it, does the playback issue continue?

Can you test playback for at least 5 minutes  with the Connect: Amp un-wired before triggering an second diagnostic report.

Thanks for the response Jean C! Yes my connect Amp is hardwired to my network switch and yes the audio only drops out when listening to iHeartRadio. 

I switched the WiFi off on the connect amp last night through the app and tested again with the same results. It will play for a min or two then drop audio for 10-15 seconds then come back. 

Should I remove the Ethernet cable all together instead of just disabling the WiFi within the amp?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @nichoalsnystrom

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report.

Is your Connect amp wired to a network switch or to an access point?  

Does this audio drop-out only happen on this particular room and this (iHeartRadio) service?

If you un-wire this unit from the network and reboot it, does the playback issue continue?

Can you test playback for at least 5 minutes  with the Connect: Amp un-wired before triggering an second diagnostic report.

I’m having the same issue, very annoying. Submitted diagnostics, please respond. 

I’m using a sonos connect amp and it is hardwired to my network. 

Diagnostic Sonos Case Number: 906433852

Nick

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thank you for the update, @Daven001, please keep us posted on any changes. 

Since recent update this past week…. iheart channel not skipping using amp. Before it was very frequent. Appears fixed for me. Thank you. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi - Not sure if I can move it that far way but will see what I can do - I will change the port on the router and let you know.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello there @Ken NZ, is there any way that we can relocate the Boost so it is more like 3 feet (~900 mm) from the main router, printer and Mac computer screen? 

If  possible, please also change the port on the router that the Sonos Boost is plugged into and then test playback again, please.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Jean,

The problem was back yesterday unfortunately. The boost is with 500 mm of the router, in between is a mac computer screen then a printer is sitting on the other side of the boost. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Ken NZ, thank you for submitting the diagnostic report for  us and I’m glad that it seems to be working better today. 

I’m still a little concerned about how well your Boost is communicating with your router. Is the Boost sitting directly  on or next to your router or any other electronic equipment?

I’m hoping to optimize your network connection to minimize these playback issues. 

While we are aware of these issues as @markWC says, it’s a playback disturbance that can have multiple causes. 

I’ts important to eliminate other potential causes and make sure that everything else is on point before categorizing it as this specific issue.   

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am all for keeping this thread alive until a fix is released. But, IMO support has what they need. Sonos acknowledged this issue months ago. I went so far as to request an update and here is what they say:

Thank you for the check-in. We are still working on testing and implementing a fix. 

We will notify you once we have further updates. 

Regards, 

Sonos Escalation Team

At this point we just need to patient. Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, Seems to be better so far today - diagnostics run after the power down of all and reboot of the router - number is 1430070954. Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Ken NZ,

If you could include a follow up diagnostic report after you test the playback, that would be great.   

Userlevel 1
Badge

It seems to be only the Play 3 which is the most used speakers - yesterday I connected to the PlayOne via airplay with the iheart app  and it worked fine. I then group to the play 3 and no issues. Yes I powered down all the sonos speakers and rebooted the router. Will check again later today to see if any improvement and report back.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Ken NZ thank you for submitting your diagnostic report for us. 

Does this playback issue only occur on your Play:3 speakers or does it also happen with your Sonos One (if you test playback on it separately)?

It does look like you power cycled your Sonos speakers, have you also rebooted your router or any network switches or access points since this issue has gotten worse?   

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the same issue with iheart radio but it is now cutting out every 15 seconds - and longer than 5 secs before it comes back. Diagnostics sent - number 82601520