Answered

Recurring issue - IHeartRadio cutting out

Show first post

106 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

For those who might be interested… @markWC and I streamed Seattle’s 950 KJR station at the same time today to see if the audio dropouts hit us at around the same times. We did this for an hour and noted the timestamp of each dropout, then compared notes.

Unfortunately, the dropouts seemed relatively random - certainly not close enough to each other in appearance and frequency to suggest that it had something to do with the encoding of the stream. I observed 13 dropouts (all but one were 10 seconds) and Mark observed 26 (mostly 11-12 seconds) during the same period.

The best guess at this point is some sort of issue in the way the Connect/Connect:AMP handles the network stream from iHeartRadio’s content delivery network - something like buffer bloat on the iHeartRadio end.

I’m in the EST timezone and Mark is in the PST zone, so it’s likely that we hit different iHeartRadio servers and CDN nodes, which also muddies the waters. Still, the fact that the dropouts are so prominent means that Sonos and iHeartRadio should be able to figure this out if it matters enough to them.

I still haven’t heard back from either company. So much for Sonos escalating the case and putting me in touch with their next level support.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have sent a link to this post to Support for my incident. @rosenqui maybe you can do the same for your support incident? Maybe that will get things moving.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’ve done that a couple of times already so it should be in the ticket. If I do end up getting the attention of a higher level support person, I’ll make sure they have the link.

I’ve done that a couple of times already so it should be in the ticket. If I do end up getting the attention of a higher level support person, I’ll make sure they have the link.

I have as well. Suspect they’re aware.

Add me to frustration over this issue with I heart skipping.. I use a connect and thought an upgrade would help but sounds like it would not. I heart said it was a Sonos issue. I just hope they commit to a solution because so many are having this issue with favorite stations they like to hear.. seems strange that it just started two months ago. I have used iHeartRadio  over two years on this setup without a problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I got a reply from support this morning after I forwarded the link to this thread - aaaaand they proceeded to start another support ticket! I reiterated a few times to just read this thread as it contains valuable information for their engineers (I still don’t think the tech read this thread all the way through)...Went through the same BS as before to no avail (SHOCK). Anyhoo, long story short - just like @rosenqui - I have now been bumped up the support chain! Of course, I don’t expect to hear back anytime soon.

It boggles my mind that no matter how many times I explain the situation they go back to reading off their support cue card. Not much thinking outside the box going on at support.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I got this from Sonos support last night:

I am one of the engineers here and I'd like to update you we are currently aware of the issue you are experiencing and are actively investigating the issue.  We currently do not have any further information to share but rest assured we will keep you updated.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This surely means we will be getting some sort of compensation for bug identification...RIGHT?

:laughing:

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I just got the 10.6 update, and the dropouts are still occurring, so the “additional performance enhancements and improved reliability” changes didn’t include anything for iHeartRadio 😢

Userlevel 2

Diagnostics submitted: 168221754

No changes to environment for a long time. Upgraded to 10.5 iHeart began cutting out.  Tried reset, etc, same issue.  Upgraded to 10.6 few minutes ago.  Unplugged amp for 10 min, restored power, started music again, same issue.  Hardwired to network, static IP, no duplicate - verified.  Same amp plays fine when using Tune-In, local music, etc.  Other players run without issue - though not using iHeart radio.  Going back to TuneIn and some Xmas music and will check back and try again in near future.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have a support session scheduled with Sonos on Wednesday. I will post a summary after we are done.

I’m probably about to jinx myself but been listening for a few hours today with no problem. Am I just lucky or are others seeming the same thing?

Just want to add that I have this same problem for past couple months with my amp as well. Not a network issue. Only with radiostations cutting out using amp. Other speakers and sub keep going during cut out. Seems like software issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Welp...I just had a 4 minute call with escalated support. Can confirm what they told @rosenqui that they are now aware of the issue between Sonos and iHeart. They are working together on a fix. I am supposed to receive an email from support when the fix is released to see if problem goes away.

Good work everyone on keeping this in the forefront!!!

Welp...I just had a 4 minute call with escalated support. Can confirm what they told @rosenqui that they are now aware of the issue between Sonos and iHeart. They are working together on a fix. I am supposed to receive an email from support when the fix is released to see if problem goes away.

Good work everyone on keeping this in the forefront!!!

No updates I suppose? I’m a little surprised it’s taking this long for a fix now that they’ve found the cause...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Nope...no update via email. I would imagine we will see a Sonos software update firsthand.

Userlevel 2

Looks like an update is available...anyone notice a difference yet?  I am going to install but won’t get to test until tomorrow or Thurs personally.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well lookey at that...Just updated. Going on 5 minutes and no cutouts yet but I will be able to get a better picture tomorrow.

Userlevel 2

Personally I have been running an iHeart station for an hour or so now...when the DJ is talking it still cuts out seemingly more, when music is playing it doesnt seem as frequent but still occurs.  This is a simple multi-tasking assessment of what I see thus far.  I will try to focus more tomorrow and see what others report as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Can confirm...no change with latest update. Though, there is not any reference to iHeart in the release notes so I guess I’m not surprised.

Have had the same problem with iHeart over the past few months. Speakers are all hard-wired so not wifi issues - I assume. Unplugged and rebooted everything just last week. This morning back to the same old 10 second cut-outs every so often. Even deleted and then reinstalled the iHeart app but hasn’t fixed the problem.

I am so frustrated over this issue I am seriously considering purchasing a new streamer...I just hope Sonos is serious about seeking a fix..

I’m having the same problem with iHeart radio dropping out.  We listen to local radio station content only.  Many iHeart local radio stations are dropping out.  I’m running 10.6.1 on Sonos:Connect and Sonos Speakers.  I don't believe that it’s a network issue, in that the problem manifests itself either wired or wireless.  Other services I play on Sonos do not drop the audio.  The Sonos App on my iPhone does show the iHeart Radio stream playing, just no audio.  My Sonos Speakers are much newer than the Connect.  I’m wondering if this is a Firmware Issue on the Connect, relating to a Codec problem.  Based upon the comments above, it seems that the problem is ubiquitous to Sonos’s older players.  Wondering if this problem has been seen in PORT.

Forgot to mention.  I too opened up a Ticket with Sonos Tech Support.  Spent an hour on the phone, with no resolution.  I’m thinking that their Tech Support organization needs access to an internal system which documents Common Anomalies (Without resolution).

Userlevel 2

Mine is a connect;amp that is many years old, though this is the first issue I have had.  Today I received the email that this device is no longer going to receive any software updates as of May.  Oh, and since it is connected with the newer components none of them will get future updates.  Been in IT for 20+ years and find this as a pretty awful way of handling customers.  So since the connect has a EOSL in 4 months I doubt there are any updates slated to try and fix this issue.