Question

Received a Sonos with house purchase - cannot connect

• 6 November 2016
  • 43 replies

Badge
I recently bought a house with installed Sonos systems and establish a connection to them.

There are four installed systems
3 x Zone Play ZP2100
1 x Zone Play ZP90 (And I have found another ZP90 that is not currently installed.)

In all cases these units are Ethernet hard wired back to the router. I can see all four units have IP addresses allocated on the router. (and when I do the two button thing, their status changes from INACTIVE to ACTIVE at the router).

I cannot connect to the system.

What I've tried:
1. Installing the Windows Controller Software and connecting that way
2. Downloading the iOS app and connecting that way

In both cases, I select "connect to an existing system" , they do not see any Sonos devices, and then ask me to do the two button push on the front, which causes a slow orange blink, still no success in finding the unit.

I've tried the other troubleshooting methods from the website (unplug and reboot, reboot the router, etc.)

Should I just factory reset these things and rebuild the system? Or am I missing something?

System was working for prior owner. Is there any administration / password system, such that I should just factory reset the whole thing?

Sonos feedback 1 = It is a bit frustrating that searching for ZP2100 does not yield a matching product. Is this now a CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP ??

Sonos feedback 2 = it's annoying that your setup process tells you to push both buttons at the same time, but then doesn't tell you what to expect as a result. Is the blinking orange the right status?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

First, make sure you are connected to the LAN WiFi and not a Guest network. You need to be connected to the same subnet and able to access the LAN. You can also try connecting the PC directly to an Ethernet port on the router to ensure you are on the same subnet.
Should I just factory reset these things and rebuild the system?
Definitely. The system will have been registered to the original owner's email. Apart from anything else you'd want to receive update news and notifications from Sonos. Also, should you wish to enrol in a beta test in the future you'd need to have your own Sonos account.

Sonos feedback 1 = It is a bit frustrating that searching for ZP2100 does not yield a matching product. Is this now a CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP ??

There never was a ZP2100. There was a ZP100, for which you can still find a user guide here. It was the precursor to the CONNECT:AMP (originally named ZP120).

Sonos feedback 2 = it's annoying that your setup process tells you to push both buttons at the same time, but then doesn't tell you what to expect as a result. Is the blinking orange the right status?

Yes it is. See here.
Badge
First, make sure you are connected to the LAN WiFi and not a Guest network. You need to be connected to the same subnet and able to access the LAN. You can also try connecting the PC directly to an Ethernet port on the router to ensure you are on the same subnet.

Understood. The PC was direct connected to the Ethernet. The iphone was on the same subnet. [But valid points, the way I have my guest network setup, I definitely would not have gotten to the unit. ]
Badge
Should I just factory reset these things and rebuild the system?
Definitely. The system will have been registered to the original owner's email. Apart from anything else you'd want to receive update news and notifications from Sonos. Also, should you wish to enrol in a beta test in the future you'd need to have your own Sonos account.

Solid advice, thank you. I definitely want it associated to my email, so I'll rebuild the system, using factory resets. [I'll update in a few days when I have time to do it.]

There never was a ZP2100. There was a ZP100, for which you can still find a user guide here. It was the precursor to the CONNECT:AMP (originally named ZP120).

Yup, not sure how the extra 2 got in there, but that was my error. I just went back to the photos of the serial numbers that I took, it does say ZP100

Yes it is. See here.

Thanks again for all the replies. I won't be physically near the system for a few days, but I'll update if I get it working (or not) after the factory resets.
Badge
Update 1 - Partial Succes

Okay, so I have done a factory reset to every unit and I was able to get the first CONNECT:AMP working.

I have factory reset the others, but I can't get any of them to work yet. I've tried the exact same procedure that got the first one working, no luck so far. I've tried with the working one powered up or powered down, no luck.

All SONOS units are ethernet connected directly to the router.
I can tell that they are on the network (they register at the router) and more importantly
The Sonos has the flashing green light
The Sonos Desktop Software actually sees the new unit that I'm trying to add "We found a new device on your network" and then it shows the actual serial number of the unit that I'm trying to add next.
I get through the setup process to the point where it asks me to push the two buttons
I get the flashing Amber
Then the setup process fails, it blinks amber for awhile then goes to solid Amber
All SONOS units are ethernet connected directly to the router.
Are they directly wired, or are they connected via switches etc? What's the router model? Is the Desktop Controller on a PC which is also wired? Is it a single flat network subnet, or are there any VLANs etc?
Badge
Getting there, it's definitely the network topology that is creating problems. I took one of the ones I couldn't get to work, stuck an extra wireless router in between it and was able to get it working.

So the basic topography is
Verizon FIOS router (FiOS-G1100)
then goes to a 24-port switch
Then Ethernet out to the Sonos units.
Some have a small unmanaged switch on the destination end that they are going through
Others do not.
Right now I'm wifi-ing the iphone app and the desktop app in via wireless access points attached to the 24-port switch. (they are correctly set as access points, not routers).

The first unit that I got working I was able to see from all the wifi access points onto the network.

I've got unit 2 working, but that made unit 1 disappear, so I'm still troubleshooting.
Badge
Progress ?!?

So now I have one unit that my computer can talk to
and one unit that my cellphone can talk to

But neither sees the other...

Computer and phone are on the same wireless access point into the network.
Why are you following the same procedure for every unit? To add further units just go to "add speaker or sub" in the controller.
It sounds like you are setting up a new system for every player.
Badge
Why are you following the same procedure for every unit? To add further units just go to "add speaker or sub" in the controller.

Sorry, I just meant same procedure for the factory reset.

For the second unit, I am doing an "add speaker or sub"
It sees the second unit ("we found 1 new player near you" with the serial number of the second unit)
It then tells me to push the two buttons to get the flashing Amber.
And then nothing happens, it times out.

(at one point I did set up the second one on separate subnet, just to see if it even worked. It did. I then put it back on my network and I could control it through that network, but that created two separate systems that I could control on the same network with separate controllers. I've factory reset the second unit again and I'm trying to add it to the existing system, now that I've proven to myself that it is working).
Is the 24-port switch managed? If so I'm wondering whether the settings on some ports are blocking the Sonos units.
It may help to temporarily wire the further unit you are adding to the router, then update software before disconnecting Ethernet.
Badge
Is the 24-port switch managed? If so I'm wondering whether the settings on some ports are blocking the Sonos units.

Unmanaged (agree, good thinking though).
Badge
One question - am I doing the two button press correctly?

So I turn the unit on. I get white light , then green flashing after it is booted up.

The 'add' procedure tells me to push the volume up and play/pause button at the same time.

It then flashes orange. I'm assuming that is the correct behavior.
But if I just push the 'play/pause' button, it also flashes orange, in exactly the same way.

So I'm not convinced I'm actually doing the two button press correctly.
Badge
Update 2

I now have two units working (at the same time, on the same controller). I took the second unit, plugged its ethernet into the first unit and added it to the system that way. Then I was able to move it back to its original location and it works there.

Moving on to units 3 & 4...
I suspect that the factory reset firmware is too old to connect wirelessly. Hence my suggestion to temporarily wire and then update.
I thought they were all wired.
Looking back it seems so. So maybe just a fluke that worked when wired to a Connect
Badge
Looking back it seems so. So maybe just a fluke that worked when wired to a Connect

Yes, they are all wired.

I had to give up for the day, but my best theory is that something in the 24-way switch is blocking the initial setup but not the continued operation. I've successfully initiated only when the computer and the sonos to be initiated are on the same drop from the 24-way switch. Once initiated, I can move an initiated sonos anywhere in the network and it seems to work. Similarly I found a 4 way switch in the network that when I direct connected the Sonos to it's feed it worked, but sticking the 4-way in between prevented seeing the unit.

Units 3 and 4 are in an attic crawlspace, I need to get a laptop that still has an ethernet port so I can initialize those from the same drop (instead of having to pull out all the wiring and bringing them to the iniital unit. (I have a Windows XP laptop with ethernet and Sonos client, but Sonos Desktop won't do the 'add' command for with an OS that old.
How do we know that when you move it elsewhere it is actually connecting over the wire and not wirelessly over SonosNet? Is that not a possibility? .

If this is a complete red herring and a distraction I apologise - @ratty (or indeed you) may be able instantly to see a flaw in the argument.

The network matrix would settle this if it is a possibility.
The network matrix could indeed be useful.

Jason Sphere, go to http://player_IP:1400/support/review and open Network Matrix. Take a screenshot and post it.

Also, what model are all these switches? Kindly lay out a schematic of the network.
Badge
[quote=John B]How do we know that when you move it elsewhere it is actually connecting over the wire and not wirelessly over SonosNet? Is that not a possibility? .

Interesting, that could be a possibility.

Does it automatically transfer the wifi login from my computer without me even knowing? I'm certainly not specifying the network and password as part of the setup, I selected the hard wired option.

Not sure it really explains the behavior I'm seeing once it has been moved. For example it is workingI then unplug the ethernet cable and it I get a 'sonos disconnected' error, plug the ethernet back in and it works again.
Badge
The network matrix could indeed be useful.

Jason Sphere, go to http://player_IP:1400/support/review and open Network Matrix. Take a screenshot and post it.

Also, what model are all these switches? Kindly lay out a schematic of the network.

I'll post the network matrix next time I'm at the property (probably in 2 days from now).

I won't deny it is a bit of a hodge-podge that I inherited , but I'd point out the SONOS system used to work and the only thing that has been changed is the verizon router upstream of the switch (it needed to be upgraded for higher FIOS speed than prior owner was using). Now all the magic happens at that router, so it could easily have introduced the problems.

Does it automatically transfer the wifi login from my computer without me even knowing? I'm certainly not specifying the network and password as part of the setup, I selected the hard wired option.

No it doesn't transfer the wifi login but Sonos would only need that if you were operating in "Standard" set up. But you have a wired component, which means that you are in "Boost" mode and any non-wired units should connect to SonosNet, not your home wifi.

Not sure it really explains the behavior I'm seeing once it has been moved. For example it is workingI then unplug the ethernet cable and it I get a 'sonos disconnected' error, plug the ethernet back in and it works again.

That does seem inconsistent with my (speculative) suggestion. However, if you still have one component wired to your router I would not necessarily expect an error message either, when you disconnected one of the other components. I would just expect the disconnected component to vanish from the system. If you disconnect the component that is acting as the root bridge for SonosNet, then yes I'd expect the whole system to vanish and a "cannot connect to Sonos" type of error. This might only be temporary until the system adjusts to using a different wired component as the root.

Perhaps we should just wait for that network matrix.