Question

Rear speakers cut out and intermittent sound from Sound Bar

Badge
Hey. I have having some issues with the rear speakers cutting out for short periods of time and the intermittent sound on the sound bar on occasion. I have a Sonos Boost in place in the same room as my 5.1 setup, but well away (over 3ft) from my wireless access point.

My Wireless setup consists of a Netgear Orbi mesh network with the main router upstairs and a second device downstairs in the same room as the Sonos devices.

I have tried setting up my Sonos with and without the Boost and it makes not difference to this issue. The strange thing is that whenever I re-configure my Sonos system I do not experience any issues for about a week and then the sound cutting out re-occurs. I have submitted diagnostics and the number is 242724492.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks. Dan.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Bleh. I know that you can set a channel in the controller app, but I'm not sure what the relationship is between that channel, which is for SonosNet, has with the 5Ghz channel. I seem to recall that it is auto selecting, but I may be misremembering that. And autoselection doesn't really help if there's something causing interference, unless the interference is restricted to a band or two.

But I agree, the whole 5 day thing doesn't really make much sense to me, I can't think of any way that it would wait 5 days to manifest.

With that piece of information, I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Dan,

Interestingly enough, the surround speakers aren't really connected to either the Orbi mesh, or the BOOST. They actually connect to the PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE with a 5Ghz connection. So for dropouts in the surround channels, I'd be looking for some sort of wifi interference that would be causing them to lose that 5Ghz connection. Perhaps reading through this might help: wifi interference FAQ

I think essentially you're looking for anything in the vicinity of either the PLAYBAR or the surrounds that might be causing interference.

Sonos will likely be able to confirm that on the diagnostic, but I was hoping to save you a little waiting time 🙂
Oh, I ignored the sound bar part of that, my apologies.

When the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE is playing TV sound, it's playing whatever comes through the optical cable. If you're getting dropouts there, I'd be looking at the optical cable to make sure that it's properly seated at both ends, and not kinked. I'd also be double checking the audio settings on the TV to be sure that it's locked down to Dolby Digital, but that's a remote chance, since you suggest it's occasional dropouts, not just full shows not playing.
Badge
Thanks for the tips and things to check Airgetlam.

I have checked the optical cable and my TV and that all looks good. You could be on to something with the 5GHz WiFi interference, although my wireless AP is a good 3ft from the speakers. Do you know if I can see the 5GHz channel Sonos is using?

I do find it very strange that if I power off all the Sonos kit including the Boost and power it all back on again the issues disappear for about 5 days and then the problem resurfaces.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey. I have having some issues with the rear speakers cutting out for short periods of time and the intermittent sound on the sound bar on occasion. I have a Sonos Boost in place in the same room as my 5.1 setup, but well away (over 3ft) from my wireless access point.

My Wireless setup consists of a Netgear Orbi mesh network with the main router upstairs and a second device downstairs in the same room as the Sonos devices.

I have tried setting up my Sonos with and without the Boost and it makes not difference to this issue. The strange thing is that whenever I re-configure my Sonos system I do not experience any issues for about a week and then the sound cutting out re-occurs. I have submitted diagnostics and the number is 242724492.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks. Dan.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. It looks like there is some wireless interference on the 5 ghz band causing your rear speakers to have a hard time staying in communication with your PLAYBAR. Airgetlam is right in that the 5 ghz signal the PLAYBAR uses to communicate in a 5.1 setup is autoselecting. Since there isn't a setting to change the channel, it would be best to take a look around and in between your 5.1 setup speakers for any third party wireless device which could be causing interference.

Look for devices such as cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, and wireless printers. Try moving any similar device away from your 5.1 setup and see if things improve.
Badge
Hey Jeff, thanks for the response. The only 5GHz device I have near my Sonos (around 5 ft away) is my Netgear Orbi Access Point, which the Boost connects too. Is it worth my changing the 5GHz wireless channel on this?

Also does this explain the issue with the sound cutting out on the PLAYBAR as well and the fact that if I re-set everything it works without issue for around 3 - 5 days before the cutting out resurfaces?

Thanks,

Dan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey Jeff, thanks for the response. The only 5GHz device I have near my Sonos (around 5 ft away) is my Netgear Orbi Access Point, which the Boost connects too. Is it worth my changing the 5GHz wireless channel on this?

Also does this explain the issue with the sound cutting out on the PLAYBAR as well and the fact that if I re-set everything it works without issue for around 3 - 5 days before the cutting out resurfaces?

Thanks,

Dan.

Without more investigation I can't say why it takes a few days for the issue to happen. Changing the channel on the Orbi won't help as you can't define a set channel on the Sonos 5.1. In general, we don't recommend wiring Sonos units into wireless extenders. On a home mesh system, or a system with extenders we recommend wiring your BOOST into your main router instead. This may allow you to reposition the Orbi so it is farther away from your 5.1 setup.
Badge
Hey Jeff, thanks. I did have my Boost originally connected to the main router on the 1st floor, which is a floor above my main Sonos 5.1 setup but had the same issues. Does the Boost need to be close to the Sonos system?

What is the recommended distance the Sonos speakers need to be from my Orbi access point? Unfortauntely I cannot locate the AP in a different room and if I remove it from the floor altogether I am unable to a 5GHz signal on the ground floor of my house.

Thanks, Dan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey Jeff, thanks. I did have my Boost originally connected to the main router on the 1st floor, which is a floor above my main Sonos 5.1 setup but had the same issues. Does the Boost need to be close to the Sonos system?

What is the recommended distance the Sonos speakers need to be from my Orbi access point? Unfortauntely I cannot locate the AP in a different room and if I remove it from the floor altogether I am unable to a 5GHz signal on the ground floor of my house.

Thanks, Dan.

If you have a BOOST in your system then the Sonos speakers are connecting through their own mesh network. In this setup, each Sonos speaker should be within reasonable 2.4 ghz range of each other (the home theater components use 5 ghz, so as long as your rears and SUB are in the same room as the PLAYBAR you're fine), which is usually around 30 feet or so.

As far as the Orbi, it's hard to say exactly how far it should be from your 5.1 system ideally. Increasing the distance will reduce interference, so you might test out a few locations on the same floor.
Badge
Hey Jeff. Okay so I will relocate my BOOST to the floor above and connect it directly into my Netgear Orbi router. I will then move the Orbi access point on the ground floor further away from the Sonos 5.1 speakers and see if that helps.

Does the interference being experienced also explain the occasional break up of sound from the sound bar as well? This is connected directly via an optical cable into my TV.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey Jeff. Okay so I will relocate my BOOST to the floor above and connect it directly into my Netgear Orbi router. I will then move the Orbi access point on the ground floor further away from the Sonos 5.1 speakers and see if that helps.

Does the interference being experienced also explain the occasional break up of sound from the sound bar as well? This is connected directly via an optical cable into my TV.

Thanks.

Typically the audio on the PLAYBAR should not be affected by interference, though if the PLAYBAR is struggling to stay in sync with the rears and SUB it's possible. There are other factors though, such as the optical cable and the TV output.

If you do get a break up after the steps we've taken, please send in a new diagnostic report and reply with the number and I'll take a look.
Badge
Hey Jeff, I have just had break up on the Sonos Playbar and submitted a diagnostics report - 945910172.

Please can you let me know if you can see what the cause may be.

Thanks,

Dan.
Badge
Any further thoughts on this from anyone at SONOS? I am still experiencing the issues including the break up of sound on the Playbar.
Badge
I have just submitted another diagnosis report, number 1069596320. Please can someone take a look and advise as to the cause of the sound on my Playbar breaking up.

Thanks,

Dan.
Dan, the folks who work the boards tend not to be here on weekends, but there is 24/7 support available through the Twitter feed or Facebook page on weekends.
Badge
The issue with intermittent sound from the sound bar is occurring again. I have submitted another diagnostics report, the number is 2144338195. Please can someone from Sonos take a look and advise.

Thanks. Dan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The issue with intermittent sound from the sound bar is occurring again. I have submitted another diagnostics report, the number is 2144338195. Please can someone from Sonos take a look and advise.

Thanks. Dan.

Thanks for sending in the report. I see that there are wireless communication errors between your Sonos components. If you have audio interruptions when playing music, it's likely due to wireless interference. You can try moving your Boost away from any third party electronics, or try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. Also, take a look at your router and any wireless extenders to make sure they're set to a static channel that is different than that of your Sonos system.

If the audio interruptions happen when listening to audio coming from the TV, the issue is likely upstream of the Sonos system. Please check to make sure your TV has the most up to date firmware. You might also try bypassing the TV and wiring the Playbar directly into your cable box to see if there is a change. If so, there's something going on with the way your TV outputs its optical audio. If the issue remains, you might check for firmware updates on the cable box, or try another optical cable.
Badge
Hey Jeff, I have tried the suggestion of changing wireless channel and moved my wireless access point (which is 5GHz) as far as I can away from the Sonos system.

The Audio interruptions are occasional when listensing to audio from my TV. I have checked firmware etc, and changed the optical audio cable. Can you confirm if the Playbar itself is subject to interference from Wi-Fi of if this issue can only be due to the optical audio output on my TV?

Thanks. Dan.
Badge
Hey Jeff, it would be good to know if the Playbar itself is subject to interference from Wi-Fi as well or if the issue with it occasionally cutting out the audio is only be due to the optical audio output on my TV?

Can you please confirm. I do not really want to have to replace my TV to resolve this issue.

Thanks, Dan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey Jeff, it would be good to know if the Playbar itself is subject to interference from Wi-Fi as well or if the issue with it occasionally cutting out the audio is only be due to the optical audio output on my TV?

Can you please confirm. I do not really want to have to replace my TV to resolve this issue.

Thanks, Dan.

Interference can cause audio interruptions on your surrounds and Sub as they receive the data wirelessly from your Playbar. Generally, audio interruptions on the Playbar itself come from signal issues along the optical cable. You can test this out by bypassing your TV and wiring the Playbar into your cable box, or another device with optical outputs. If the audio interruptions don't happen, they the issue is likely with the TV's output. You can check for firmware updates in these cases, or use an HDMI switch as an alternative setup.