Question

Really awful performance at a party

• 6 November 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 5 replies
Hi. I've got two play 3s, one play5 and two play1 speakers, all running on a single boost amp.

Even with a very fast internet connection, the performance was terrible last night at a party - loads of service drop outs or things like one speaker randomly working in one room but not another. Sometimes a message came up saying there wasn't sufficient network speed.

Could the cause be the sheer number of people in the house (60-70) - do bodies interfere with signals like walls do? We get occasional drop outs during normal use but nothing like last night...

Since a party is one occasion you don't want your sonos to not work... does anyone have advice on how to fix it? Should I buy a couple more of the boost bridges?

Cheers, Andrew

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would submit a diagnostic to have Sonos seee where the weak points are on your network. Lost the diagnostic number here.
Wireless networks use microwave radiation. Microwaves are absorbed by water (which is how the ovens work), humans are bags of mostly water, so if your network is on the edge (which yours sounds like it is, given your comment about occasional dropouts under normal circumstances) filling the room with water bags will certainly cause problems.

What to do? Check your wireless channels on Sonos and your router to make sure they're not interfering, set one to channel 1 and the other to channel 11 if possible. You may need to investigate if you're getting interference from your neighbours as well.