Rattle or distortion with classical music.

• 18 June 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello, I have noticed some unpleasant rattle or distortion when playing classical music. It is worse at about 75% volume than at 50% volume but I still notice a little bit at 50% volume.

i don’t notice this with metal/rock or pop. Has anyone else had this experience?

5 replies

It is a tad hard to diagnose this kind of thing in a text format. Much easier if something isn't working, but an altered sound issue really should be heard. I'd recommend that you contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

Especially since it is only on one type of music. That's extremely odd. And no, I haven't noticed that as an issue on any of my Sonos Ones, PLAY:3s, PLAY:5s or PLAY:1s, all of which I use for both classical and classic rock music.
Submit a diagnostic when the sound is off/wrong, and email Sonos Support quoting the diagnostic number. And/or do that here.

It is not possible that a defect free unit will discriminate in the way you describe based on music genre.
Thanks Airgetlam and Kumar.

I hate to admit this but it was actually the speaker stands. Support requested I send a video and I was getting ready to make it when I noticed it was coming from the stand.
Well, at least you figured it out.

Hopefully, you were able to adjust the stands in a way that fixed the issue. I've got Flexson stands on both tile, and on carpet, both as surrounds, as well as a pair of Flexsons for the PLAY:3s also on carpet. No rattling of any kind.

Seems odd that it was rattling only on classical music, but perhaps there's a particular kind of frequency that was causing it that's more prevalent there.
Probably the volume levels at which you play metal drowned it out, or you thought it was part of the music:-).