Answered

Randomly turning on

• 9 January 2019
  • 15 replies

Sonos turns on randomly; went on holiday and we decided that cat loves a massive house party ?!
icon

Best answer by jamessalamon 29 January 2019, 22:32

Well done all !

So sorry; it was my fault.
SmartThings had a ‘routine’ set to run at 7pm which included turning on the Sonos. God knows how I’ve managed to set that up, forget it. No experience it for months and then suddenly it starts doing it and I’m confused!

Resolved ! I blame the house robots ! :
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Haha! Can the cat stand on the buttons? Apparently that is not an uncommon occurrence!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When I saw the title Randomly turning on … my first thought was "does he have a cat"

It is common for cats to turn on - I don't have any clue why but I see it here all the time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There is an option to disable the buttons (I think) or touch controls.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3250?language=en_US
Hi Sonos experts; sorry me saying the cat turns the Sonos on was a bit of a joke really (although now I see it’s a common problem )

7 pm every evening several of the Sonos speakers turn on what we’ve been listening to recently . (Really loud too!)
There are no alarms set and I’ve checked with Alexa integration and there is no alarm set there either ...any additional help would be appreciated .

I’ve since changed my Wi-Fi router and reset up the whole network to but the alarm still exists.
The next time it happens (tonight, at 7PM), submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Will do thanks Bruce - I guess that’s easily found in the app ?
Yup. Click on the underlined words in my post, it will take you to the FAQ on how to do that.
Legend..
Not until it's resolved 🙂 Let us know what you find out, always interested in learning something new.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi jamessalamon

I agree that submitting a diagnostic is probably the best route at this juncture. I was going to suggest switching your setup from Wireless to Wired mode as indicated in the link. Just a long shot to purge all Wi-Fi credentials just in case you are being spoofed: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

I suspect Sonos Tech may have you perform a factory reset.:? I too am curious to know what they recommend. Please post back with results.

Cheers!
Here are my Diagnosis; having had the life scared out of me again (at exactlyb7pm!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great that you submitted a diagnostic. Could you also send a shot of your alarm setup page or at the very least verify that the alarm is turned off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I also found a Sonos Article from 2 years ago wherein they suggest "deleting the alarm". Can't tell you how to do that as I'm not at home and haven't actually set an alarm. I use my Amazon Show for my alarm.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, jamessalamon. Based on the diagnostic report, there is a UPnP command coming from a SmartThings device that is beginning the playback right at 7pm. Do you know which device this could be?
Well done all !

So sorry; it was my fault.
SmartThings had a ‘routine’ set to run at 7pm which included turning on the Sonos. God knows how I’ve managed to set that up, forget it. No experience it for months and then suddenly it starts doing it and I’m confused!

Resolved ! I blame the house robots ! :