Question

Random play

• 5 October 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
We currently use Squeezebox products (duet, boom, radio), but are about to transition to Sonos. We have over 20,000 tracks stored in FLAC on a Synology NAS. Just purchased a Play 1 and happy with it so far in the guest room. About to purchase the Connect to replace the duet and two more Play 1's for a living room/dining room area. If anyone has advice for the transition please let me know.

I will tell you that I'm now worried about one thing in particular. My husband pretty much always just selects one or more genres, or sometimes an artist, and does random play. Is that going to be possible on the Sonos? I'm seeing threads that make it sound like this isn't possible? That would be a total nightmare for our use.

Will appreciate any advice. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

How does your Duet work? The Connect needs an amp and speakers to work - or active speakers that have a built in amp, but still costs about USD 350. For a little more, you can get a play 1 pair, so be sure that what you plan to wire the Connect to is good enough to be worth the expense.

For random play on Sonos, you have to make queues/playlists, and then select to shuffle play them. It just means that all the songs from the artist or genre have to first be moved to the queue and then played in shuffled mode. Often used queues can be saved as playlists to make selection easier. You can see how this works from the play 1 that you have, surely?
For random play on Sonos, you have to make queues/playlists, and then select to shuffle play them. It just means that all the songs from the artist or genre have to first be moved to the queue and then played in shuffled mode. Often used queues can be saved as playlists to make selection easier. You can see how this works from the play 1 that you have, surely?

That's not the case any longer under 6.4, at the top of every category (or at least every one I've checked) there is now a Shuffle All button, which does exactly what you'd expect, adds everything to the queue and plays them in random order. Do that from the "Tracks" category and it'll add the entire music collection and play them randomly, this is my default mode of operation and it's actually easier under 6.4. Whisper it, I... quite like it! I haven't yet accidentally wiped out the entire queue, I'm sure once I have I might be moderating that opinion slightly...
Nice. I knew that is how it now works on albums, but I just looked it up for other views and indeed there is the new shuffle all option for them too.
Now the OP needs to see this for her 1 unit as well.
Nice. I knew that is how it now works on albums, but I just looked it up for other views and indeed there is the new shuffle all option for them too.
Now the OP needs to see this for her 1 unit as well.

I'm wondering if they haven't updated to 6.4 yet, not that it was difficult to shuffle beforehand, it's simply that it's now a one-button operation on 6.4, it needed a couple more presses previously but I still don't know why anyone would think it was difficult to do to be honest.
For want to trying to, is my guess.
Hi Kumar, one of the best features of Squeezebox is Random Mix, allowing you select songs, albums, or genre. I have a library that includes over 30000 songs, how would Sonos handle this? I've just purchased a Sonos Connect and about to return it because I cannot find way for it to handle Random Mix. Must say I’m not at allow impressed with Sonos at this stage. Happy for you to change my mind.