Answered

Random iTunes songs cannot be played on Sonos

• 17 April 2022
  • 6 replies

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 18 April 2022, 15:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi there,

Sorry, I only posted the screenshot and I did not explain the issue!

As you can see from the screenshot, certain (seemingly random) of my iTunes songs are grayed out and I cannot play them on Sonos.  Any ideas on why this might be?

Thanks!

Robert

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I don't use iTunes but on Amazon Music if they are greyed out it usually means that they are no longer available.

I’m thinking they’re perhaps tracks that are unavailable in a format supported by the AM service on Sonos, which at the moment show as being up-to 256kbps AAC. See the below link:

Info re: Apple Music on Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3282

I don't use iTunes but on Amazon Music if they are greyed out it usually means that they are no longer available.

Hi Mike, thanks for your response. I can still listen to the grayed-out tracks if I listen directly on iTunes, so I think they’re still available.  Is that what you mean?

I’m thinking they’re perhaps tracks that are unavailable in a format supported by the AM service on Sonos, which at the moment show as being up-to 256kbps AAC. See the below link:

Info re: Apple Music on Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3282

Thanks for you response Ken. Can you tell me how to determine the format? From looking at the songs on iTunes on my iPhone, I can see where the format is indicated.  Also, I would have thought that all songs on a particular album have the same format (though I don’t know that for sure), and I can play most of the other songs from the same album.  Thanks again for your help.

@robertmy,

I no longer use Apple Music to personally comment on where to find the tracks bitrate etc, but it’s definitely not viewable through the Sonos App, but I mention it as a ‘possibility’ after seeing in the (linked) support document that the service via Sonos, only supports upto 256 kbps, so that was my initial thinking. My other thoughts were that it might be ‘explicit’ filtering, but not sure what filters you have enabled in their service.

You could speak/chat online to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and perhaps provide them with some examples from your AM service and perhaps see what they say about the matter. Perhaps post back what you find out too. 👍