Answered

Random Chiming Coming From Sonos Arc

• 3 November 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi, I recently purchased an installed the Sonos Arc and we hearing random chimes coming out of it. We do not have any voice assistants installed. There’s no apparent words that spark this chime.  Any ideas how to stop this before i go mad?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 March 2021, 14:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Optovac, thank you for reaching out, and welcome to the Sonos community. I’d be happy to help you all here and it would be best for those having trouble submitting a diagnostic report of your system for better understanding and see what would be best for the setup. Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help.

Hello,

I am receiving the same random chime coming out of my Sonos Arc.  It seems to happen the most when I am steaming Netflix or Sling TV. My diagnostic confirmation number is 143864361.

Please let me know what next steps to take.

thank you,

travis

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Trav6044, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for bringing this concern to us and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me help you out.

Upon checking the report, I don't see any issue in the system that may cause random chime with your Sonos Arc. There's interference in your wireless network and you can check out this article on how to reduce wireless interference in your system.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting and see if it works for you.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and the TV. 
2. Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Arc, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
2. Reconnect the HDMI cable to your TV and the Sonos Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
3. Update the TV’s software (if available)
4. Disable eARC on the TV.
5. Adjust the group audio delay. Settings > System > Tap your Sonos Beam > Group Audio Delay and then choose a delay option.
6. Check for Sonos update. Settings > System > Check for updates.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and run another diagnostic report. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. 

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Rowena,

I’m sorry the diagnostic isn’t showing the chime but it is still happening at random times.  What other solutions are there?  

thank you,

travis

Userlevel 7

@Trav6044 Are you using a voice assistant with your Arc? The chime you are hearing could be the Wake Word Chime when using Alexa. Go to the Arc settings in the Sonos app and go to the Voice settings and disable “Wake Word Chime”.

Thanks for the suggestion!  This is a different chime than the Voice Assistant.  It’s actually more of a double tone versus a single chime sound.  It is definitely different than the voice assistant chime.

Is it the mic tone when you toggle it on/off - if so, try moving the Arc forward a little away from the TV (if possible) to see if that fixes it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Ken_Griffiths makes a very good point, but it might not be just the microphone button.

With televisions using CCFL backlight technology, an Arc can experience presses to it's buttons without a user actually pressing them. CCFL technology was primarily used prior to LED backlights on TVs from 2004 to 2012.
Separating the TV and Arc or introducing some material (wood, for example) between them may be the only way to mitigate the issue without replacing the TV. If your TV is OLED or LED, this does not apply. I recommend getting in touch with our technical support team if the issue continues.

I’ve been having the same exact issue as well. No one from tech support could identify it, even with several submitted diagnostics. They some what want to blame it on the TV (Sony Q90). I’ve seen other people having the same issue and having other TV brands. It’s become quite annoying.