radio keeps cutting out

• 6 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi I did have Sky Q router and everything worked fine, however recently I've changed supplier and have a different router and now have a issue when steaming TuneIn or Global as the audio consistently cuts out and sometimes doesn't restart. All other devices on my network are fine - I have 80 meg connection  and speed is always 50 meg plus 

Also I have no problems streaming from Amazon Music no cut outs???

I've tried changing wireless channels several times but this still is happening - I cannot listen to 1 song without it cutting out - how frustrating - can anyone help please

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi.  After changing routers, did you power cycle every single device on your network, so that all the IP addresses were refreshed?  If not, then you should do that - it is best practice, in fact essential. Sonos is a multi-device system in which there is constant communication between devices.  A duplicate IP address might not throw off a single device like a smart TV but could cause problems for Sonos.

But whether or not you had Sonos, a complete reboot of your network would be good practice.

If it doesn’t cure the problem, we can think further.

Hi John thanks for that I've already power cycled several times and I've checked that all 11 devices have different IP addresses 

Anything else I can do ?

A couple of thoughts.  First is that you need to power cycle everything, not just Sonos. A router will always think it has assigned different addresses so I don't think that's a definitive check.

It's a lot of stuff to power off and on, I admit, and there is no guarantee of success.

Is your system fully WiFi or do you use SonosNet by wiring one device? With a system the size of yours I would always recommend using SonosNet mode. 

Do you use otber sources and do they suffer the same problem?

I will try powering it all down again as you suggested and come back 

It's fully WiFi I don't have a sonosnet 

Yes having the odd disconnections with Sky q multiroom and a smart TV but every other device is fine 

I will try powering it all down again as you suggested and come back 

It's fully WiFi I don't have a sonosnet 

Yes having the odd disconnections with Sky q multiroom and a smart TV but every other device is fine 

Whilst I would also recommend using SonosNet too, as John B mentions - if you do prefer to run all your devices on the new router WiFi, then see if the following may help (that’s assuming the reboot of the Network doesn’t improve the current situation)…

1. Set the main routers 2.4Ghz WiFi channel to ‘fixed’ channel 1, 6 or 11 and set the channel-width to 20MHz. Try each of those channels for 30mins+ to give things chance to settle and see which works best.
  2. Only if the above doesn’t help, then I would certainly consider a SonosNet wired connection, by just wiring one Sonos device direct to your router. Then go into the Sonos App and do the following:
  • Goto “Settings/System/Network” and set the SonosNet channel so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel in Step 1 above.

See if that then improves your Sonos connectivity - if not, go back and try a different Router-WiFi/SonosNet channel, but if using SonosNet always keep the two signals at least 5 channels apart.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some answers - I will power cycle it all at weekend and let you know how I get on - thanks again