Answered

Radio keeps cutting out

• 14 February 2019
  • 12 replies

Sounds just drops out completely. Usually comes back after a while. Sometimes just “stutters”
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 12 March 2020, 22:57

You can use Sonos over your WiFi BUT you must configure your WiFi to meet Sonos requirements, not something most Ubiquity users are willing to do as you give up so much.

Do not limit your search for interfering devices to ones that have a radio, many electronic devices are poorly designed and leak RF energy even with no radio present.

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It will be some kind of wifi/router issue.

First advice is usually to turn every device in your house off, then reboot one at a time slowly letting each device start up properly before starting the next. Router first, then Sonos, then other stuff.

If that doesn't work, then in your controller will be a submit diagnostics button. Make a note of the confirmation number and post up again. You need to get a diagnostics confirmation within a few minutes of the drop outs occurring. Hopefully then a Sonos employee can apply their technical knowledge.

Good luck.
Thank you. Will try!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Freddy27. Some solid advice from Legnum Nick. If his tips don't help, this is likely due to WiFi interference. This is often the cause of audio playback issues. If those links don't work, not to worry, we can certainly get to the bottom of this for you. Following any further occurrence of this issue or changes in your setup, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Many thanks in advance.
I’m having this problem too. WiFi speed is 105mb. Diagnostic number 503952944
Badge

Same problem here when playing internet radio. Apple Music streaming is faultless. Diagnostic number 876298267.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hmm … I think it could be a Tunein issue.  Over the last few days I’ve encountered the same problem with certain German stations (128 kbps mp3).   The same stations using an alternative stream url (not Tunein) play okay (this on a non-Sonos system).

However, the glitchy station (NDR1) has today been playing for 8 hrs ...

Badge

Hi Castalla, I have this issue with both TuneIn and myTuner, so I don’t think it’s limited to a particular service, but could very well be the same stream that both use?

Just to mention to here that the Sonos status page is not (yet) showing any issues with tune-in at the moment, but maybe worth checking from time to time to see if any issues do emerge… see this LINK

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @davidlightsa,

After consulting with your diagnostic, It appears that the Sonos player you have hardwired is getting a fair amount of interference and communication degradation.. This can cause buffering issues which are usually in the form of cutouts.. 

Is the Sonos speaker close to network equipment that might be producing a signal? 

Additionally, may I have the model of the router you have Sonos hardwired too and any other corresponding network hardware you have .

Badge

Hi Adam S, I’ve replied to your comment at https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/radio-streaming-problem-6835462#post16411107.

To answer your questions above, the Play:5 is hardwired to a Ubiquiti Amplifi router immediately next to it. Based on the information provided by KKen_Griffiths I will try to find a way to move the router away from the speaker, but then I’ll need to install a switch as my Apple TV, this Sonos, a Raspberry Pi and my TV are all wired to this Amplifi router.

The problematic Sonos One speaker is on my desk in my office, next to my MacBook and an external display. I connect wirelessly to my network, so the One may be subject to wifi interference from the MacBookl I guess?

Is it possible to use Sonos over wifi, instead of its own wireless communication? Wouldn’t that solve my interference conflicts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You can use Sonos over your WiFi BUT you must configure your WiFi to meet Sonos requirements, not something most Ubiquity users are willing to do as you give up so much.

Do not limit your search for interfering devices to ones that have a radio, many electronic devices are poorly designed and leak RF energy even with no radio present.

Badge

Thanks for the info Stanley_4; I’ll continue my isolation efforts and hope things improve.