Answered

Question: Do mandatory updates interrupt line-in playback?

• 10 September 2022
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 18 replies

Playback suddenly stopped today while I was watching exciting live sport.

I use Play5 pair via line in only, I no longer use Sonos app or playback over wifi. But today, suddenly playback stopped. Dead. No issues with my network or sound source.  So I power cycle Play 5’s. No re-connection. Open app (that I haven’t used in weeks), it says nope, you need new app. App is basically bricked until I go to app store, update app. Since when did apps completely stop working as a way to force an update?

Updated app, still nope. Now need new  speaker software. Loading…waiting… loading, finally done.

Bad UX. What if I was in the middle of something important when you shut down the speakers you detect as not updated? Live streaming a funeral or something?

I don’t even use the app, so are the Play5’s constantly calling home and telling you my speaker’s logs? “ALERT! ALERT! Play5’s found at this lat/long under this name and ID, OUT OF DATE! SHUT IT DOWN! SHUT IT DOWN NOW!!!!!”

Are you really enforcing updates even if it means brute force disabling the Play 5’s remotely, while they’re in use? And when audio is from line in, not via app? I dunno, might be last straw for me if this question gets confirmed. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 September 2022, 15:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

I’ve never seen a mandatory update from Sonos. It’s always either been an automated thing, which is scheduled at specific times in the controller by the user, or a completely manual clicking of a button in the controller. 

Unless you have automatic updates enabled in the Sonos app?

Such melodrama. 

Automatic updates -- if enabled -- would happen in the small hours of the night by default, so someone would have had to change the timing to the daylight hours.

Clearly the speakers hadn’t updated anyway, as the app prompted to do so after updating itself.

Something else caused the glitch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since the Sonos devices are in direct contact with the internet you should be happy they are updated once in a while. When you are planning to use them for something important it is alway wise to see if there’s an update beforehand….

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

That sucks. Sorry to say, sounds like you updated the app and speaker AFTER playback failed. Afaik Sonos does not auto update speakers as long as you are listening to something.

Do you know now, why playback failed in the first place? This should be checked.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Do you know now, why playback failed in the first place? This should be checked.

Nope. Never found out what happened and why playback suddenly stopped. I’m looking at options to replace the Sonos speakers with something else. 

Mandatory updates are a thing with Philips Hue too, although the lights won’t suddenly switch off without notice. The mandate only happens when attempting to open the Hue app. At least they admit it, with the message “mandatory update required”.

The Sonos app didn’t admit anything, the interface in the app is replaced with empty placeholder containers with flashing shades of grey.  The only option was to head to app store and update the app. I don’t use auto-updates for anything, after too many times getting burned from unwanted changes. I do update things, but in my own time and under my decision.

> “ you should be happy they are updated once in a while”

LOL that sounds like some kind of twisted Stockholm syndrome at play.

I would prefer a system that is guaranteed to work out of box and conforms to basic standards, and works as long as those standards are available - such as the network in my house, wi-fi, bluetooth  etc. I don’t want to be tied to an eco-system with needy update requirements, selling me new features or whatever.

I read recently about a bluetooth coffee mug that heats up. Apparently it requires an account and you need to login before you can check the temperature of the drink you’re holding in your hands. Ridiculous. I will never submit to needless data-collection and UX dirty tactics. If you have, good luck with that.

Good grief. 🙄

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good grief. 🙄

23,428 replies? Good grief indeed. You’re a professional Sonos commenter?

Not that I like giving advice to veterans, but I’d suggest contributing more than the equivalent of a sneeze. 

For example, thoughts on the requirement to log in to Sonos just to adjust volume limiter or see recently played items and other settings? Don’t care? Just accept whatever is dished out?  Every decision you make filtered and validated via a remote service… not because it’s technically required, but because removing independent control from your hands is in the manufacturer’s interest. Okay, well some of us are pushing back against this progressive erosion of local control, and substitution with mandated internet account tracking compliance.

One thing I like about Sonos speakers is I can actually trigger them via other systems such as home automation, sensors etc for security purposes and so on,  but honestly I’m half expecting that to be closed off at some point because it’s not tied to the preferred eco-system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“I would prefer a system that is guaranteed to work out of box and conforms to basic standards, and works as long as those standards are available - such as the network in my house, wi-fi, bluetooth  etc.”

So no security updates for you then?

@jayHi .  I expect a sarcastic comment about my number of posts, and would like to inform you that I don’t give a **** what you think or say about that.

First, as commented by others, there are no mandatory updates on Sonos.  You need to turn off automatic system updates in the Sonos app, and updates for the Sonos app in your app store.  You can then decide whether or when to update.  But apps and system must be kept on the same version, and so if you allow the app to update (for example) the system must be brought in line.

My thoughts on the requirement to sign in to make changes to settings?  It’s a good and sensible idea and was in part in response to numerous customer requests.  Once a controller is logged in it stays logged in unless it is reset or is not used for a long time.  You make it sound like you have to sign in for every change.  I cannot remember when I last had to sign in to make a change.  It is literally years.  The requirement prevents visitors, children  etc screwing up the Sonos system, whilst allowing them to play music.  It’s a security measure that I wouldn’t be without.  You are of course entitled to feel differently, and I am sure you have read Sonos’ information security policy before expressing your views.

A couple of other points:

1. “I would prefer a system that is guaranteed to work out of box”.  Sonos often does work out of the box. But guaranteed?  Well. when router manufacturers and mobile phone manufacturers make their products identical, all users set up their networks properly, when wireless interference ceases to exist and users read the set up instructions, THEN Sonos might guarantee such a thing.  This is not a sensible suggestion.  A system with Sonos’ capabilities is ruled out by this requirement.  I doubt if manufacturers of single Bluetooth speakers would give such a guarantee.
  2. “I don’t want to be tied to an eco-system” .  Then Sonos was a bad choice for you.  Sell immediately.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Thoughts and prayers to @jayHi in this difficult time. Lol

23,428 replies? Good grief indeed. You’re a professional Sonos commenter?

Not that I like giving advice to veterans, but I’d suggest contributing more than the equivalent of a sneeze. 

For example, thoughts on the requirement to log in to Sonos just to adjust volume limiter or see recently played items and other settings? Don’t care? Just accept whatever is dished out?  Every decision you make filtered and validated via a remote service… not because it’s technically required, but because removing independent control from your hands is in the manufacturer’s interest. Okay, well some of us are pushing back against this progressive erosion of local control, and substitution with mandated internet account tracking compliance.

One thing I like about Sonos speakers is I can actually trigger them via other systems such as home automation, sensors etc for security purposes and so on,  but honestly I’m half expecting that to be closed off at some point because it’s not tied to the preferred eco-system.

Nope.  “Good grief” is more than sufficient for your level of drama.  

Though I will address one thing:

For example, thoughts on the requirement to log in to Sonos just to adjust volume limiter . . .

Can you explain to me what good a volume limit would be if it wasn’t password protected?  One would assume a volume limit is set to prevent people from blasting the music at high levels.  So what good would that limit be if anybody could go into settings and defeat the limit? 

Pretty simple concept if one is not blinded by their own melodrama.  Also, one only has to log in once to the app, and unless the app is reset, you then have access to all settings.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So no security updates for you then?

You make it sound like the only thing between you and the darkness of breached security badlands, is an audio speaker without the latest “security update”, lol. There’s a reason why we never hear of security incidents arising from “someone not updating their speaker”. It’s because actual security incidents almost always occur as a result of human error. Nothing to do with app updates. Eg, poor passwords, or developers exposing backend databases where all your Sonos personal data lives including exact geo coordinates, etc.

Userlevel 1
Badge

...there are no mandatory updates on Sonos. 

As mentioned in my first post, that’s not my experience. I don’t leave any auto-updates on for anything. Music stopped suddenly. My phone with the Sonos app was off, so the app was not running at all in background or anything… had been off for at least 2 weeks. I power cycled speakers but it failed to resolve. Turned on phone, attempted to open app, it failed to open properly… grey flashing bars. So I manually updated app, it then forced a system update, then music started playing again. So any conclusion other than a mandated update, is on thin ice.

My thoughts on the requirement to sign in to make changes to settings?  It’s a good and sensible idea

Wow and LOL. I suppose you also think the decision to bury access to EQ in the settings screen requiring multiple steps to get there, was also a good idea. I recall raising the issue on this forum years ago, to be met by similar blind loyalty to poor UX. Yet, Sonos finally decided to put a shortcut button to EQ on the play screen, relatively recently to my absolute shock. Only took 10 years. Although I do notice in some circumstances it won’t appear.

I am sure you have read Sonos’ information security policy

People want actual privacy, not privacy policies. Apple, to my surprise have stepped up in recent times to introduce genuine privacy measures and features rather than just the usual gloating about privacy policy documents. Still a way to go, but at least they actually did introduce a few privacy-related features with a bit of bite rather than the usual empty gesturing.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Can you explain to me what good a volume limit would be if it wasn’t password protected? 

Volume has nothing to do with security. It’s just volume. And in the rare case someone does actually want to password protect basic settings including EQ, then simply allow the option to do that. Allow a master password and user roles or similar. Do the job to facilitate sensible, user friendly UX rather than mandating everything under the sun to “keep us safe from ourselves”.

The role of a speaker manufacturer is not to lock away basic settings behind online registration. Just like the role of a bluetooth coffee mug maker, is not to require online rego for checking the temperature of the liquid inside. User choice = good UX.

Anyway… that concludes my thread. Speaking of which, the choice to mark it “answered” was taken away from me, and given to others. In true Sonos form!

Can you explain to me what good a volume limit would be if it wasn’t password protected? 

Volume has nothing to do with security. It’s just volume. And in the rare case someone does actually want to password protect basic settings including EQ, then simply allow the option to do that. Allow a master password and user roles or similar. Do the job to facilitate sensible, user friendly UX rather than mandating everything under the sun to “keep us safe from ourselves”.

The role of a speaker manufacturer is not to lock away basic settings behind online registration. Just like the role of a bluetooth coffee mug maker, is not to require online rego for checking the temperature of the liquid inside. User choice = good UX.

Anyway… that concludes my thread. Speaking of which, the choice to mark it “answered” was taken away from me, and given to others. In true Sonos form!

To the people who were clamoring for volume limits because their kids were blasting music at 2 AM, volume limits have everything to do with security, and putting the limit behind a password is exactly the solution for those seeking to limit how loud a system can be played. 

As to making it optional, just how complicated do you wish the app to be?  Assigning individual permissions to any and every settings menu and/or item would require a complete rewriting of the app, and maintenance would be a nightmare.  Just to ease the complaints of a few privacy obsessed users?  Not going to happen.