Question

Question about new wifi mesh routers and Sonos

• 16 January 2017
  • 37 replies

I have been thinking about picking up a new router such as the Linksys Velop, Luma, Eero, Orbi, or Google Wifi. I was curious is this could potentially cause issues with my Sonos speakers? I am currently running in standard mode as my router is at the back top of a closet.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Consider it a blessing. Your first posts haven't really added much in the way of truth, or congeniality.
Literally all I get on the forum no matter what button I press, is this

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
ummmm Hi @pxlkid1,

Aside from reviving a 1 year old thread for no relevant purpose... I'm not sure why you bothered to then post incorrect information.

Indeed you will find numerous people posting on this site indicating they have Sonos systems working with Mesh Wifi setups; and they can be "Factory Reset". (although this is not often useful in troubleshooting so is not typically recommended) See: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US.

The airplay debate isn't worth the time given how poor the 1.0 protocol is and newest generation Sonos products will be working with AirPlay2.0 when it is released it seems (at least the One, Play 5 Gen 2 and PlayBase).

soooo your point in coming to a community site to trash a quality product with misinformation is what exactly?
Works fine from my mobile devices.
What is with this forum!? I cant even access it from my phone it just says “not supported on this device” and on my ipad it doesnt show replies??
Your sonos system won’t work with a mesh wifi setup, also you can’t do a factory reset on it and to top it all off you can’t airplay to it to use third party apps. Utterly useless!

#1 Sonos systems most certainly can work with a mesh WiFi setup. In fact, Sonos was a mesh WiFi setup before there were any mesh WiFi routers on the market!

#2 Factory reset: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

#3 Airplay 2 coming soon: http://press-us.sonos.com/159680-sonos-unveils-smart-speaker-with-support-for-multiple-voice-services

Apple AirPlay 2 Coming in 2018

Sonos also announced that it will begin supporting Apple’s AirPlay 2 in 2018, making it possible to play any sound from an iOS device – including YouTube videos and Netflix movies – on Sonos speakers throughout the house. Owners will also be able to ask any Siri-enabled device to control music on Sonos speakers
Your sonos system won’t work with a mesh wifi setup, also you can’t do a factory reset on it and to top it all off you can’t airplay to it to use third party apps. Utterly useless!
Following up on my earlier question - I turned off the wireless function on the cable modem and rebooted everything and all seems well now (boost wired to the amplifi base). Now I need to deal with NAS (Buffalo LinkStation). IP address is the same and my "NASNavigator" recognizes the drive but Sonos won't nor can I log into the NAS drive as an admin.
On SHARKB8T's matrices:

BOOST2 is doing nothing useful for the mesh in either.

The 'Undefined' item in the second matrix is the powered off BOOST.

The different signal strengths to the Kitchen root bridge in the second matrix most probably reflect the PLAY:1s position, not the fact that it isn't a BOOST. In my experience BOOST doesn't increase signal figures significantly, but it can improve noise tolerance.

The red item (Jamie's Office LR) is a surround speaker on 5GHz. The nearby router could be very loud and/or using a wide N channel.

As a general point, yellow signal strengths are 'satisfactory'. Nothing to worry about there at all. SonosNet will tolerate signal strengths in the low-mid 20s -- firmly in the amber region -- before it will look for an alternative, multi-hop, path.
Thank you!Hi Kumar, Bruce,

It appears to me that the Boost clearly does a better job building and maintaining the mesh network connectivity

A simple thank you isn't getting past moderation, so once again, thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you for that information.
Heh. I continue to struggle to understand a little bit more every day. Thanks, SHARKB8T, appreciate the post.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hi Kumar, Bruce,

When I first did this, I had fewer Sonos products and didn't have a second Boost being used, and actually saw far worse experience than this time, but I will post it anyway to demonstrate my thinking and comment.

Here is a screenshot from the Network Matrix of one of my Players taken with my regular setup:

From my limited understanding (and it is limited - I'm certainly not the expert here at all) I can see the communication paths all look good. Actually... this particular image shows worse than I usually see... typically just communication to the "Donna's Office (R)" is yellow... I get that... it is in a crappy location for delivering the wireless - but actually operates fine.

Just a note: This was "taken" while the devices were actively playing music.

I then removed the Boost, unplugged the power from it, and plugged in the Play 1; and then using the same player, I grabbed another screenshot. By the way, the Play1 I was using is actually the "Jamie's Office (RL)" and I am certain it is red because it is too close to the router... but an expert could correct me on that and I'd appreciate the insight) (I also understand that with this approach I'm losing one device on the mesh network... but for the particularly detailed oriented, I did it with the boost plugged in sitting in it's typical location and the result was essentially the same as this one... then I realized I haven't redefined the boost as a repeater... and then figured I wasn't going that far just for a post! 🆒)

In this case, while obviously poorer than the first image, this result is actually better than the first time I did this. The first time I did it, some time (and a few less Sonos Units) ago a number of the communication pathways were actually showing red. I should also mention that while all devices continued to work, there was a noticeable (to me because I know my system) lag in response from some players.

So that is where my comment comes from.

It appears to me that the Boost clearly does a better job building and maintaining the mesh network connectivity (As I think it should given that is its primary purpose.) I could postulate that it has better antenna, more of them, or better error correction algorithms given the better antenna .... etc .. but I have no idea specifically as to what drives this.

Smart people like Ratty could likely explain why with details :8 (...Is he listening?)
Indeed, I'd be fascinated by an explanation of what you experienced. Perhaps the Boost has a more powerful antenna/broadcast area versus a Play:x unit? Shoot, now I'm going to have to go look at some specs and see if I can figure something out 🙂

I used a Bridge originally, now replaced with a Boost for Sonosnet 2.0, but I've never tried to run just a speaker as a Sonosnet hub.

I tried a play one physically connected to create the Sonos Network. And then tried my Boost. No comparison. The boost did a much better job.

Did it? While I knew that Boost has some more stuff in it, I thought its main advantage over the much older Bridge was to have the same Sonosnet version 2.0 of the play 1, compared to the 1.0 version for the Bridge.

In what area/way did the Boost do better than a 1 unit? It would be useful to know in what circumstances the Boost would be better than wiring an existing Connect/Connect Amp/Play unit to the router.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hi Sharkb8t - I always thought that "Boost setup" meant that you had a Sonos Boost component in mix. Should I remove my Boost altogether since I've got an ethernet connection?

"Boost setup" simply refers to any installation where one device is physically connected to a router which enables the SonosNet to become established. Since this is the primary purpose of a boost, Sonos call this a boost setup now.

You can go into your router login and see what "channel" your router has selected (it is possible it is set to "auto" which I'd suggest you change to a fixed channel so it doesn't move around on you.). In the Sonos controller you can set what channel you want SonosNet on. You want to use 1,6 or 11 only as here is a fair amount of noise overlap across channels.

A boost can serve as the device the creates the SonosNet and given it's excellent wifi abilities and error correction it can do great work attached to a router. (You want to keep it a few feet away from your router to avoid interference.) if you have a place where SonosNet can't reach, a boost can be a stand-alone device that acts as a mesh device to extend the network range. (Like placing it halfway between a Sonos device and a distant room with a Sonos device in it.)

I tried a play one physically connected to create the Sonos Network. And then tried my Boost. No comparison. The boost did a much better job.

Hope this is helpful!
Hi Sharkb8t - I always thought that "Boost setup" meant that you had a Sonos Boost component in mix. Should I remove my Boost altogether since I've got an ethernet connection?
Hi, I suppose there is, but I wouldn't have the first idea of how to fix that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
.... Sonos app on my iPhone cannot connect to anything but the Playbar. It won't connect to anything else... it tries... the app will tell me that its trying to connect, but it fails every time, even after cycling the modem and router off and on, each Sonos component off and on, etc. Very, very frustrating.

sorry we were typing at the same time :)

Is there any chance the AmpliFi router and SonosNet are operating on the same 2.4Ghz network causing network noise for each other?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I also purchased a new AmpliFi HD system and it will not recognize nor connect to my Sonos system. Spent the better part of 3 hours trying to get it to work and nada. Very frustrating, since nothing changed but the AMPLIFI router!!

Hi Jays,

Changing the core networking device that manages all networking addresses and connectivity to the network system is a fairly significant change even if you kept the SSID name and credentials the same. You will ned to connect at least one item temporarily to the router for the setup and you also need to make certain that all players reboot to request new IP addresses from the new router.

See this guide: ("Boost Setup" simple means you have at least one Sonos device hardwired to your router)

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1072/~/replaced-your-router-or-changed-wifi-settings%3F
Hi, I have a really nice Sonos system that is connected by ethernet to my wifi. It includes a Playbar, a Sub, a Connect Amp which drives my surrounds, another Connect Amp which drives my bathroom speakers. a Boost, and a Play 1 out on my patio. It is connected in just the same way that it was connected to my Airport Extreme wifi network. Nothing changed. Yet, after substituting / changing over to a new AmpliFi wifi system, my Sonos app on my iPhone cannot connect to anything but the Playbar. It won't connect to anything else... it tries... the app will tell me that its trying to connect, but it fails every time, even after cycling the modem and router off and on, each Sonos component off and on, etc. Very, very frustrating.
jays, how do you have them connected? And how are you trying to hook up the Sonos? Or using Sonos net or Wi-Fi? Or and ethernet cable?
I also purchased a new AmpliFi HD system and it will not recognize nor connect to my Sonos system. Spent the better part of 3 hours trying to get it to work and nada. Very frustrating, since nothing changed but the AMPLIFI router!!
I have the Amplifi mesh router (I highly recommend) and it works great with my Sonos system. You won't have any issues.

I just purchased the Amplifi router and am having serious problems with Sonos. It took forever to recognize the boost that was wired to the router, there is serious delay with playing streaming songs (Napster) and I have the same issue with playing songs from my iPhone. There is a long delay between pressing play and the song starting, long delay in moving to the next song (if it happens at all), and Sonos now won't recognize the NAS that is connected to the boost. The Sonos system was trouble-free before the router switch so it would seem the router is the issue. I am using not just the Amplifi router but have the two remote mesh points as well. I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues or if I've done my setup wrong? I'm wondering if the Sonos mesh (created by the boost) and the Amplifi mesh conflict somehow; maybe I need to switch to the sonos wireless setup?