Pulling my hair out please help

I just tried to install my Sonos system and a new house. I couldn't get the old boost to work with the new software so I purchased a new one. I plugged it into a working ethernet port but could not get it to initialize on the software. As soon as I plug the boost into the ethernet port the port goes to a red instead of green. I replaced the boost talk to the tech at Best buy but no luck same situation with the new one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies

Lowellmacg,

If you are simply connecting a brand new Boost to your new router, you are effectively beginning to setup a brand new Sonos system. So you are actually going about the setup the wrong way round here. Perhaps try this instead...

Plug one of your existing Sonos speakers into your router.

Make sure your mobile (and Sonos Controller App) is connected to the routers WiFi signal and then open your Sonos App. You should now see your speaker in the App. If prompted, make sure you choose to connect to the existing Sonos system. Do not setup a new one. If the speaker fails to connect, then try another one of your speakers in its place.

Without cabling your Boost to the router, hard reset it, (see link below) and power it up away from the router and then in the Sonos App Settings, choose the option to Add a Boost and set it up 'away from your router'. After the setup is complete... power off your Boost and the speaker connected to the router.

Now swap things over and cable your Boost to your router in place of the speaker and power it on.

Power on your Sonos speakers next, but do this one at a time, starting with the nearest speaker and then the next nearest etc... give each one time to settle and it should connect to your new Boost.

Let me know when you’ve done that and have everything up and running and then I will give you some further things that you can check to ensure you have things working optimally.

Here is a link to show you how to hard-reset your Boost.

Factory resetting a Sonos product

Important note:
Whatever you do, do NOT hard-reset any of your Sonos speakers, only reset the Boost at this moment in time, otherwise you may lose all the settings of your earlier setup

Hope the above helps get your Sonos setup in your new home.👍
can I've tried everything you listed and I'm still having no luck not with speakers plugged into the ethernet not with the boost plugged into the ethernet I'm not sure what my problem is...but I have to say I was very impressed with your response very thorough just didn't work for me. Believe me when I tell you I'm bummed
Lowellmacg wrote:

can I've tried everything you listed and I'm still having no luck not with speakers plugged into the ethernet not with the boost plugged into the ethernet I'm not sure what my problem is...but I have to say I was very impressed with your response very thorough just didn't work for me. Believe me when I tell you I'm bummed

I would first check that your new router is not on the incompatibility hardware list here...

Sonos and Incompatible Hardware

Then maybe get in touch with Sonos Customer Care on this link...

Contact Sonos Customer Care/Twitter (24/7) etc.

Whatever you do though do not hard-reset your speakers until you have spoken directly with the Support Staff.

Hope they are able to help you get back up and running with your Sonos system soon.👍
Thank you my friend, it maybe a comparability problem I get a red light at the router and at the speakers/boost...hopefully they will get back to me and we can get this system going - wish me luck :D
Lowellmacg wrote:

Thank you my friend, it maybe a comparability problem I get a red light at the router and at the speakers/boost...hopefully they will get back to me and we can get this system going - wish me luck :D

Don't forget to let us know the outcome please, just for future reference. All the best.👍
Will do, thanks

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings