Answered

PS4 Audio with Spotify

• 21 May 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi all!

I've been a bit confused lately as I've got a Playbar, and 2 play 3's and they were set up by my friend a while back when I got them to the TV speakers as a little surround system.

When I played a game on the PS4 obviously I got the audio coming through the speaker set up, and if I wanted to play a song through the PS4's spotify system, it would always just overlay and play on top of the PS4 audio I was already receiving so I still got a bit of game volume but could control the music level volume through the spotify controller to PS4.

However now all of a sudden every time I go to play a song through spotify like before, the game audio just stops completely and all I get is the music audio from spotify.

Apologies if this is slightly off topic in a way that it's related to PS4/Spotify however obviously the root of the problem being the soundbar and 2 play 3 system that I have going on, but any suggestions as to what I can do to get it back to how it was before would be great?

Thanks in advance! 🙂
icon

Best answer by Tom B 23 May 2017, 10:47

Hi Connor, welcome to the community. The PLAYBAR and PLAY:3 combination there will really just play what comes through to it from the PS4, unless it receives either a command to play from the Sonos app, or perhaps the Spotify app via Spotify Connect. I would make sure you don't have the PLAYBAR selected as your device to play to inside the Spotify app for your PS4; you will need to have the PS4 itself as the playback device.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Connor, welcome to the community. The PLAYBAR and PLAY:3 combination there will really just play what comes through to it from the PS4, unless it receives either a command to play from the Sonos app, or perhaps the Spotify app via Spotify Connect. I would make sure you don't have the PLAYBAR selected as your device to play to inside the Spotify app for your PS4; you will need to have the PS4 itself as the playback device.
A few pointers that may help.
1. If your Spotify account has been added to Sonos, you don't HAVE to play Spotify through the PS4, you can use Spotify through Sonos (or Spotify Connect for that matter)
2. I cannot conceive of any way the Playbar can have been playing both audio streams, unless the PS4 is capable of doing this. In which case, as Tom B implies, this would be entirely a PS4 issue, as the Playbar will play what is sent to it.
3. More likely is that the Playbar was playing one of the audio streams and the TV speakers the other.

So I suspect you are not doing exactly what you were doing before, or something has changed in the PS4 or TV Settings. The Playbar is, I am pretty sure, blameless, and is just playing what you are directing to it.
Thank you both,

Bizarrely the day after I posted this, things just seemed to be working again.

I'm not sure what happened as yes as you suggest the sound bar/2 play 3's just play whatever audio is coming from the TV, which is why I was confused because Spotify through PS4 is essentially just music coming from the TV Audio (and therefor out the soundbar).

Everything seems to be working fine again as it used to.... so as long as it stays that way then I'm all good! ?

Just one last thing as I was looking at some of the audio output settings through the PS4 and was unsure as to whether I should be using Linear PCM?! Bitsream DTS or Dolby5.1 or something else?! (Forgive me if those descriptions are inaccurate as I'm trying to remember the choices it gave me).

What does all this even mean?! ?