PS3 audio on Arc via Bravia TV

• 4 December 2020
  • 10 replies

Hello,

I just go an Arc and have connected to a Sony Bravia XBR-65x930D TV, to which my Apple TV is also hooked up. Audio from both the TV and Apple TV plays on the Arc. When I connect PS3 (with/without being powered on) to the TV with a HDMI cable, however, audio plays on Bravia speakers, instead of Arc, and reverts to Arc when the same HDMI cable is disconnected from the TV. 

Need help resolving the issue. If not, I may have to return the Arc and a couple of Sonos One speakers. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

As a guess, the PS3 isn’t appropriately handling its CEC responsibilities, and confusing the CEC hub (the TV). I’d start by looking if there is an option to turn off CEC on the PS3, and if not, I’d try a CEC less adapter, along the lines of this: 

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI/ref=sr_1_1?crid=39TE2Y0BPABJ7&dchild=1&keywords=lindy+cec+hdmi&qid=1607059595&sprefix=Lindy+cec%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-1

Seems like an odd threat to return the Arc due to issues with your other devices, when you’ve proven it works properly until you plug in the PS3. Have you tried contacting Sony?

Bruce, thanks for the insight and the suggestion. Did order a cec less adaptor and will try Sat. 

Would rather keep them, but set up has not been easy so far, not to mention the tv has no eArc port. Seemed as if needing to spend more on a new tv, dvd/blue ray player, and a subwoofer to fully realize the Dolby atmos experience. 

Not sure if a new blue ray player wouldn’t do the same thing either?

Let you know how it goes. 

Buddhi

Haven’t got through to Sony yet. They have no phone help. 

My guess is poor implementation of the CEC standard, but it’s not clear to me as to whether that’s on the PS3 or the actual hub (the TV). Or both. I’m in a similar situation, with no eARC on my year old Vizio. . 

Until I can afford a new TV, I’m making Atmos work through a HD Fury Arcana, which creates the eARC signal that the Arc can read for Atmos. The Arc worked fine for Dolby Digital with my TV’s ARC port, but the TV could not accept an Atmos signal from an HDMI input, and pass it to the back out the ARC port. 

For what it may be worth, I’d try updating the firmware on that TV. My old Sony required downloading it to a USB stick, it wasn’t internet enabled. It’s been a while :)

Bruce,

Thanks again for your suggestions. Arcana is certainly less expensive than a TV but still pricey at nearly $300. Do you have a recommendation where to get a better price for it?

Before I invest in Arcana, however, would like to get the PS3 to work to experience other versions of Dolby. My TV firm ware is up to date, and the CEC on PS3 HDMI is turned off, as far as I can tell. Still the issue persists. Not sue if I would have the same issue if I were to get a new Blue Ray player, setting aside PS3?

PS3 is out of warranty, and Sony may want a fee to help plus have not seen anything online about the issue. Will see what Sony has to say anyhow.

Meanwhile, I will try the CEC less adaptor. Am correct that need only one at one end of the HDMI cable?

I gather that Arcana may interfere with Apple TV, however. Is that consistent with your experience with Arcana? 

While Arc has only an eArc port,  do you think Sonos would be able to solve the Atmos issue in a future firm ware or software update when connected to a TV with Arc HDMI? 

Regards,

Buddhi S 

No, I’m not aware of any other sales channels for the HD Fury devices, but since I have one, I haven’t been looking. An internet search might be your friend.

Yes, the adapter is only at the one end if the cable. 

The reason I purchased the Arcana is to work with an Apple TV, there is no interference. 

The Arc can receive one version of Atmos via ARC using Dolby Digital Plus, if the TV can send it. The other, more robust version of Atmos is carried by TrueHD, which requires the bandwidth of eARC. It’s also what Apple uses on their own apps to send an Atmos signal, while most other companies use the simpler Dolby Digital Plus carrier. 

Thank you.

My issue is with PS3 interfering with audio going to the Arc for now, as far as I know.

Have had no issues with Apple TV playing on the Arc, although I am not sure if it is sending Atmos signals to the Arc via my TV, which has only an Arc HDMI? Nor am I sure if my TV can send Dolby Digital Plus.

How do I verify if Apple TV Atmos signals or the Dolby Plus signals get through to the Arc? If that is the case, I may not need the Arcana device?

I appreciate your patience and time answering my questions.

Did play YouTube video of new bond movie trailer this morning on the Arc alone and was quite impressed with the sound. Have to replay and see if I can figure out what format is playing on Arc.

Again, thank you for your continued support.

--

Buddhi 

Settings > System > About My System shows you what the Atmos is receiving at the moment the report is run. It is not live/ self updating, if you make a change, you have to close it and re-run it.

When playing Atmos only, the controller shows that on the ‘now playing’ page.

There are settings in the Apple system, as well as in the TV’s audio setting that would control what signal is being sent. Be aware not everything is in Atmos, either via Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD. You need to check the source program in addition to those settings. You may want to take time to read the Home Theater area if this forum, most of this information is covered in many, many threads there.

YouTube is in Stereo only, not Dolby Digital or Atmos. 

Hello Bruce,

With the CEC less adaptor, PS3 audio now goes to Arc, but in PCM 2 format vs. Dolby 5.1.  Haven’t figured that out yet.

For now though, Arc plays Dolby 5.1 off STB, Apple TV, and Amazon Prime (I think Google Cast) in surround set up. 

Considering HD Fury Arcana and a HDMI switch as next step.

Thank you for your help. I learned a lot though your advice.

--

Buddhi