Projector will not play sound to sonos play:5 through 3.5mm jack

• 14 February 2019
  • 18 replies

Badge
Having issues with the following setup:

Epson V11H818020 Powerlite 2155w Projector
Sonos Play:5 connected to Projector via 3.5mm cable
Google Chromecast

I'm trying to create a setup in which I can wirelessly stream content to the projector via chromecast with audio output from sonos play:5.

I've learned that it is not possible to separate the audio & video signals with chromecast (originally I had tried plugging my computer into sonos play:5 via 3.5mm cable, I can get sound out of the Play:5, but as soon as I cast content to the projector the sound is forced out of its tiny terrible speaker).
Next I tried connecting the projector's 3.5mm audio out directly to the sonos play:5 with the same cable. I can cast content to the projector but cannot get sound to output through sonos.

Any idea's? Help!

icon

Best answer by trevormc 14 February 2019, 19:15

RESOLVED! It was an issue with the Projector in the end.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

How sure are you that that is an audio out?

I'm looking here:

https://epson.com/For-Work/Projectors/Meeting-Room/PowerLite-2155W-Wireless-WXGA-3LCD-Projector/p/V11H818020

and I see no listing for an audio out port on that device.
Sorry, you have to scroll down, then click on the blue box to get the full specs.
Badge
It literally says "audio out" next to the port
Badge

Gah. It's so hard to tell what data is "real". Looking at your picture, while super tiny on my screen, it does look like that's a headphone out, but that's not what appears on Epson's website, nor does it appear as an item on the spec page.

If it is an audio out, have you tried connecting a set of headphones to it, to see if they work? If they do, it may just be a cable issue. Or, you may need to adjust the line-in settings on the Sonos controller, which might be set too low.
Cross posted. That data is helpful. I'd be looking at trying a different cable, making sure you're using a stereo one, instead of a mono cable, and then looking at the line in settings on the Sonos.
For anyone else who wants to jump in, the manual appears to be here:

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd52412.pdf
Badge
Confirmed that the audio out port on the projector works with another speaker type, just not sonos. I looked at the line-in settings on the sonos controller.

Line-In shows connected
Line in Source level changed to Level 8 (portable player, PC)

Is there any reference information on which line-in source level I should be using?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Line-In shows connected
Line in Source level changed to Level 8 (portable player, PC)

Have you actually selected the P:5 Line-In as the source for P:5 playback (or do you have Autoplay set to do so)?
Badge
Yes. Settings>room settings>P:5>advanced Audio>line-in connected>source level 8>autoplay room set to P:5 source
Badge
also selected line-in from "browse" and the equalizer is moving (depicting content is being read from the projector) but still no sound out of P:5
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes. Settings>room settings>P:5>advanced Audio>line-in connected>source level 8>autoplay room set to P:5 source
Good. And is P:5 playback switching to its Line-In when it receives a signal? (I'd guess not).
Also, make sure the 3.5mm jack is fully inserted. It's a very snug fit on my P:5s.

Edit: Ok, you covered the first point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The other rather obvious question: do other music sources (e.g., a streaming service) work OK on the P:5?
Badge
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Great, 'cos I was out of ideas 🙂 Glad you have it working.
Badge
Thanks for your responses PWT & Airgetlam
I went to sleep... so you're welcome. Thanks, pwt!

Might be worth posting what the issue on the projector was, for others who come here with a similar issue, so they can learn from your experience.
Badge
When using Chromecast the audio A/V output on the projector needs to be set to the HDMI port that chromecast is plugged in to. Seems intuitive, but I had been attempting to set the audio output to AUX