Problems with SUB bass and new update 14.12

Userlevel 1

What happened with a bass after new update??

The sub is present but it is a different bass now. Like no real sub bass was present even if I crank it up in the app. It is not only the volume issue. IT IS A SOUND QUALITY THING!!!

The bass feels cheap now. I am listening to lot of music and now I can’t stand the sound.

SONOS can you fix it?? Or should I sell my system?

Bring back the HiFi sound!!! Bring back the sub bass!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

They have turned down all speakers except the center speaker. This is done to get clearer dialogue. They have also done something odd to the sub bass. There wasn’t anything wrong with the dialogue or the subb bass before the update. So all in all the worst update since the arc came out. It went from a premium sound system to a system that looks premium, but sounds like crap ☹️🙈

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I just got an email reply from Sonos after contacting them, hope this helps……

Hello Ian,

Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer Experience. My name is Shising, and I am happy to assist you regarding your issue. I am sorry you have had to deal with this issue. I know how frustrating it is when the system does not work as it should, and I will do my best to help you.

After the release of R3 2022, an issue was discovered that impacts audio quality negatively with Trueplay enabled on certain Home Theater Configurations.

The issue will result in slightly less output from the Sub. The issue for Arc will also affect certain other frequencies and currently, it can only be fully mitigated by Turning off Trueplay tuning | Sonos.

Please note that R3 also introduced additional changes to the Arc's audio output. These changes are expected and can result in a slightly lower perceived volume output but can simply be changed by raising the volume slightly in the Sonos app. The user doesn't lose out on overall volume, as it's just the volume scale that has been adjusted slightly. These changes are intended and are working as designed.

We are aware of the issue that Trueplay affects the sound quality negatively and are working on a fix but do not have any more information or a timeline to share.

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and we thank you for your understanding on this matter. If you have other concerns, feel free to let us know.

All the best,

Userlevel 2

Waiting on a fix Sonos!

Userlevel 3
Badge

SONOS’s stock has tanked over 58% during the last 12 months. They are a ship of fools. Because of the upgrade to 14.12, my system (the ARC + Generation 3 Sub + 2 SL Ones) now sounds like a $30 Radio Shack transistor radio.  They have stolen over $2,000 from me, along with countless others.   I am no longer trying to listen to my system.   I am very close to offering it for sale on E-Bay or making a YouTube video that shows me setting my system on fire.  If I do the latter, SONOS shall become another Tiananmen Square!   

Userlevel 1

this is not what i paid for i want my money back. i will go with another brand that offers good bass

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

When are they going to fix this problem , I called them and all they said was to try a trouble shoot the problem lol.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Try??? They get paid to resolve the problem…. They don’t need to try, just fix it 😂 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sorry that's what I meant lol , its a joke.

Why in the world would a company change their audio signature with an update??? I hate how Arc sounds now and I invested a lot in my Sonos set up. Maybe class action suit is warrented. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Get this fix sonos. Why is this taking you guys so Longer I would like to see the who was pushed this update without testing 

Has this been fixed yet? or, whats the best fix thus far?

Arc n Sub

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Arc n Sub

Thank you

No.. Sonos is supposedly working on it. However, they want people to buy the new Sub mini before they fix the present issue.. 

Arc n Sub

Thank you

The only workaround I’ve seen mentioned by the Staff here and by other folk on YouTube etc; is to switch off Trueplay tuning on the Arc room. Some say it hasn’t worked for them, but it has worked fine for the Arc/Surrounds/Sub here in our living room.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Tried it and does not work , its a joke.

Tried it and does not work , its a joke.

Strange that it works for some setups and not others, as the frequency mapping, published on YT shows that it should work okay with TP disabled. It works fine for our setup here. I notice the speech is clearer aswell - it’s one of life’s mysteries, I guess.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Well I hope they fix the mystery soon or it will all be going on ebay.

Well I hope they fix the mystery soon or it will all be going on ebay.

As you’re in the UK, kindly message me if/when you do put it up, as I may get my son to bid on it and perhaps take it off your hands. My son & family would love one for their Home, at the right price of course.😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi folks,

Later today there will be a software release and whilst we have been working to deliver the fix you have been waiting for, it’s not ready yet. We understand that it’s disappointing that this has not yet been resolved.  We can assure you that we’re working on making sure the Sub performs as it’s expected, and we’ll let you know as soon as there is any news.

I have a arc , G2 and G3 sub in a 18 x 17  dedicated room, bass response has always had a very strong presence, and very evenly placed throughout the room,  after the new version update, i noticed significant differences in the low end,,at times almost non existent in some soundtracks,   i currently have it running without truplay, most of the low end got restored,but now i have very uneven,peaky bass in my room, spent over 2hrs re- positioning them throughout my room to achieve  less than stellar performance than i had before the update,  hopefully this gets sorted out soon,,  my system used to sound excellent with truplay on the previous version

I have a arc , G2 and G3 sub in a 18 x 17  dedicated room, bass response has always had a very strong presence, and very evenly placed throughout the room,  after the new version update, i noticed significant differences in the low end,,at times almost non existent in some soundtracks,   i currently have it running without truplay, most of the low end got restored,but now i have very uneven,peaky bass in my room, spent over 2hrs re- positioning them throughout my room to achieve  less than stellar performance than i had before the update,  hopefully this gets sorted out soon,,  my system used to sound excellent with truplay on the previous version

Me too brutha

Still waiting for the update to fix the issue with arc and sub after update 14.12. 

I have turned off Trueplay - but it is still not the same low sub frequency and premium Sonos sound I have paid a lot to get.😢

Still waiting for the update to fix the issue with arc and sub after update 14.12. 

I have turned off Trueplay - but it is still not the same low sub frequency and premium Sonos sound I have paid a lot to get.😢

Have you contacted Sonos Support about your sub issue, as by all accounts, switching off Trueplay should restore the sub frequency output as outlined in this video. It might be the case you coincidentally have a fault. Perhaps submit a diagnostic report and speak with staff via this LINK.

It might also be helpful to report back here with their findings. 

Userlevel 1

Anyone have an update as to when the next update will be? Will this issue be resolved? Tired of having to turn my system up to 75-80 just to hear it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Anyone have an update as to when the next update will be? Will this issue be resolved? Tired of having to turn my system up to 75-80 just to hear it. 

Tomorrow there will probably be an update of some sorts. Who knows if that update will fix the problem. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

If there is no fix this Thursday then there will be a lot of crazy mad people , even Peter pee said he will make a new video about it if they won't fix by then. I dont think they understand how big of a mess they made with that horrible 14.12 ... Audio company that don't care about its audio reproduction... should revert everything back to 14.10 asap but they never did , obviously midget mini sub to be blamed by that ..