Question

Problems with iPhone Controller dropping out since iPhone 6 updated to iOS 10.2

• 17 December 2016
  • 8 replies

Has anyone else experienced any problems since upgrading their iPhone to iOS 10.2?

I have intermittent problems since iOS 10.2 upgrade the other day. The controller keeps losing the wi-fi signal. I have tried everything I can to cure this including re-booting my router, turning wi-fi on and off on my iPhone 6, turning my iPhone 6 on and off, but no improvement. I had no problems before the upgrade to iOS 10.2.
My wife has not upgraded her iPhone 6 to iOS 10.2 yet and she has no problem. Also I have no problem with the Sonos Controller on my Android tablet.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

It may help to fully reboot your phone by holding the power button down until the red slide bar appears, then sliding the bar across. Sometimes it can help to "forget" your network before rebooting, then reconnect afterwards.
Badge +2
Hi KMC_7, you are not alone with this issue. I updated my iPhone and had the same issue, i.e. not seeing Sonos on the 5.0Ghz band of Wifi, and seeing Sonos intermittently on the 2.4Ghz band. I just today updated my iPad, and will see if I have the same issue.
Another poster recommends rebooting your home network in the usual manner, i.e. unpower your modem and your router, unplug all Sonos gear, and then plug your modem back in, wait about 2 or 3 minutes, plug your router back in, and wait about 5 minutes, then reconnect all of your Sonos gear.
I haven't tried this yet, but I will post back about the iPad controller and the rebooting of my hardware shortly.
Just one point regarding @CharlesATL's post, although not a complete explanation. Sonos does not operate on the 5GHz band. Depending on how your router handles traffic between 5GHz and 2.4Ghz, you may or may not be able to connect to your Sonos system while your phone is connected over 5GHz.
I've also had this issue immediately after updating my iPhone. No issues with other devices controlling Sonos.
Also, it needs to be your whole network rebooted, not just the Sonos stuff. The main reason for doing this is to clear IP address conflicts.
Badge +2
Just one point regarding @CharlesATL's post, although not a complete explanation. Sonos does not operate on the 5GHz band. Depending on how your router handles traffic between 5GHz and 2.4Ghz, you may or may not be able to connect to your Sonos system while your phone is connected over 5GHz.

John B is right, Sonos is a 2.4Ghz WiFi device(s). However iOS devices "prefer" the 5.0 band, which I thought was backward compatible to the 2.4Ghz band. Maybe not. John B, do you know differently?
My understanding is that Sonos transmits and syncs its music content between devices over its own mesh network, SonosNet, and the WiFi segment is only for sending control commands, i.e. stop/pause, play, this room only, etc., along with Internet access, to the components, hence the need for a WiFi network.
Regardless, here are the results of my recent actions.
The iPad, on iOS 10.2, (mal)functioned the same as the iPhone, so this issue was device specific when one device was iOS 10.1x and the other was 10.2. Meaning, when I updated my iPad Air to 10.2, I lost connectivity with Sonos in several areas of my house where I had it previously.
Then I rebooted everything on my network, i.e. Comcast modem, Linksys router, and my Sonos devices, AMP, Play 5 & Play 3.
I switched between my Comcast 2.4 band and the 5.0 band, and went to the areas of my home where I previously didn't have Sonos connectivity, and, wonderfully, everything worked. So, my conclusion is that the reboot process works.
Merry Christmas everybody, it seems a simple reboot will resolve this.
Hi. First, I'm glad the reboot sorted it. Your description of the band issue seems on the right lines, but I'm not sure if "backwards compatibility" is the issue. Here is my understanding.
1. Sonos units communicate over a separate mesh segment, called SonosNet, if and only if at least one Sonos component is wired to the router. SonosNet is 2.4GHz only.
2. The wired component then acts as a "bridge" between the WiFi and SonosNet segments
3. An iPhone may talk to the router over 5GHz. I THINK that with a wired component that should always be OK to find its way out to the Sonos units.
4. In the absence of a wired component, Sonos units are connected to the 2.4GHz home WiFi network. In this case I THINK a controller on 5GHz will be fine provided the router is happy to pass traffic between the two bands. But I THINK this is true of many routers but not all. Therefore there is the potential for a controller on 5GHz not to be able to see a Sonos system that is in "standard" rather than "BOOST" setup.

If your experience contradicts any of that I am willing to stand corrected.
Actually, it is quite common for a router to not bridge between 2.4 and 5 GHz. Some do, but dont be surprised to find one which does not. Sonosnet solves all this, along with getting Sonos on its own channels and other benefits.