Problems with certain Asus Routers!

• 5 January 2014
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 1
What is the problem with certain Asus routers (specifically I have the RT-AC68U) that have more than one wired Sonos units? I am quite certain it is an Asus problem but was hoping that someone could give me some specifics about what the problem is? I am very technically adept however it has taken me hours to pinpoint that it was actually Sonos causing problems with the network. Again I am sure it an Asus firmware problem because Sonos works great with other routers. However I REALLY like the RT-AC68U and would like to keep it, and would like to provide Asus with some feedback from a Sonos expert. Please just let me know if you have any input on this topic. Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Jason,

There has been some trouble with the RT-AC68U not passing STP properly. Because BPDU packets aren't passing through the wired interface from one room to the next, the devices are opening up all interfaces and a broadcast storm can happen between the loops. 

You can try wiring your Sonos components behind a switch before passing them to the router as a potential workaround. If you're still having trouble with that router I'd recommend giving us a call on our Customer Care Line so a technician can take a closer look at the system.

Cheers.
Userlevel 1
Hello Jason,

There has been some trouble with the RT-AC68U not passing STP properly. Because BPDU packets aren't passing through the wired interface from one room to the next, the devices are opening up all interfaces and a broadcast storm can happen between the loops. 

You can try wiring your Sonos components behind a switch before passing them to the router as a potential workaround. If you're still having trouble with that router I'd recommend giving us a call on our Customer Care Line so a technician can take a closer look at the system.

Cheers.

Ryan,

Thank you so much for the response and information. All of my Sonos units are behind switches before connecting to the router so I may have to rule that option out. That is unless you are inferring that the Sonos units need to be on their own switch separate from other network devices? Which then means I would be going from the Sonos units to a switch which is then connected to another switch and then passed on to the router. If so I can certainly give that a shot. Either way I greatly appreciate the response and excellent information. I still hope that Asus recognizes the issue and corrects it in a later firmware. Thank you again. Have a great day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

Hello Jason,

The chain on the network there is going to be important on how the traffic is getting passed. In this case, you'll want to have the Sonos components wired back to a switch before they hit the router. It should be alright if they are wired to multiple switches, as long as those switches all go to a single point on the network first.

As a note, if one or more of your switches on the network are managed switches, please make sure that they all have STP configured. Here are the settings for Cisco switches that we've dealt with, and what the managed settings should look like. Managed switches will call their protocols different things at times, but the settings will be similar if you need to check your devices there.

Cheers.
Userlevel 2
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

I just installed an Asus RT-AC68U.  I have 5 Sonos units, 3 of which are wired to the network.  There is a single switch that is connected to the Asus, and all of the wired Sonos devices are connected to that switch before the router.  The Asus resets several times a day.  I haven't been able to pin it directly to the Sonos, but it frequently (but not always) happens shortly after I turn a Sonos on.  That and this thread (and several similar ones) make me suspect that it is an interaction between the Sonos and Asus causing the problem.  I am already running everything through a switch before the Asus.  Are there other things that can be done to solve the problem?
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

I have the same router as well. I ended-up setting static IP addresses for all of my non-Sonos devices and haven't had a problem since. Not the neatest solution because I need to keep a record of all these static addresses. My Sonos devices are all functioning correctly now at least.

I have a bridge connected directly to my Asus RT-68U and one Sonos Play 5,  another bridge and ZP120 all wired into my network via switches. In addition, I have a Play 3 and one Play 5 operating wirelessly along with 4 CR100 controllers.

It was a fiddle to get some of the Sonos devices to be recognised at first and I ended-up adding them to the system in the same room as the router and then re-locating them back to their original positions once they had installed.
Userlevel 2
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

Asus Tech Support gave me a vague answer that this is a known problem and that there is a firmware patch coming "soon".  No more details than that...
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

I love my Asus RT-68U router, it really does tick all the boxes for my needs. I am sure there are many other happy Asus users who also have Sonos systems. I hope they (Sonos) can find a solution soon.
Userlevel 1
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

Scott - I am right there with you. I wound up getting the NetGear R7000 (Nighthawk) which is an AC1900 router as well. While I still like some of the features of the Asus it simply was not worth the hassle with my Sonos. And since Asus was only providing vague answers I chose to give up on them. The R7000 has been rock solid and I am VERY pleased with it as well. Much more stable than the RT-68U ESPECIALLY with Sonos. Regardless I just wanted you to know that after using many routers in my network the Asus RT-68U is the only one that caused all of the problems. So using another router will most likely solve your problems. I know that is not what you would prefer but it definitely took care of the problems for me. Plus the R7000 for all intent and purposes is equally as good as the Rt-68U. Perhaps I would even say better because of its more solid firmware and functionality. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Userlevel 2
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

A few weeks ago Asus issued a firmware patch.  Since applying that patch, I have not had any problems with my Asus router (RT-AC68U) rebooting (it used to spontaneously reboot up to 2-3 times per day, bringing down the whole network for a couple minutes). However, I then started having problems with my Sonos "stuttering".  I would have to stop and restart the Sonos and it would go away.  It happened infrequently- every 2 or 3 days.  Then I updated to the new Sonos 4.3 version, maybe a week or two ago.  Since then I haven't had any problems.  But tough to say whether the problem was really fixed or I just haven't used it enough to see it.

Anyway, make sure you are running the latest versions, that seems to have helped me.

One note, I do see the same error that you show in my logs.  I haven't noticed any problems with any devices on my network corresponding to those errors, though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

The Asus RT-AC68U and RT-AC56U routers do have an issue that we identified and Asus has developed a patch. The problem came up when you had more than one Sonos unit wired into the network. Make sure you're running version 3.0.0.4.374.442 or higher on there and this should be resolved.

If you're still having trouble with an Asus router following that update, we'd like to get a closer look at the system.

@Scott (and Jason if you're having trouble too) can you give us a call and work with a technician on this one? If there are any further issues with those router's we'd like to see them.

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

A word of warning.  Asus just uploaded a new firmware version on 2014-04-24.  This was to fix a security hole.  While the previous version of the firmware had me back in Sonos Nirvana, since installing the new version my network has been worse than ever.  Again seems correlated to Sonos activity.  I just need to launch the Sonos controller, and frequently (not always) the router reboots taking the whole network down for a couple minutes.  I'm going back to the old firmware version (3.0.0.4.374.4422) which seemed to have everything working well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

Thanks for the heads up User646136, we'd like to look into this more. What happened with the new software? Was it the same issue as prior to the 3.0.0.4.374.442 build with it dropping when more than one Sonos device was wired in?
Userlevel 1
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

Man .... I really cannot understand why Asus cannot fix the problem on the RT-AC68. I've at least 6 other routers (even 2 other Asus routers that did not have the problem) and it just seems crazy that the RT-AC68 is the only one to exhibit this problem. Since we enjoy our Sonos system so much this problem is completely unacceptable. Sonos has been GREAT to acknowledge the problem and even help Asus work on a solution, but Asus on the other hand simply cannot get it together. Not to mention the fact that since the router has been out there have been at least eight new firmwares for this relatively new router. While I think it is great Asus keeps pumping out firmwares I think they simply brought the RT-AC68 to market before it was ready. I think all of the firmwares prove this point. Since I have been using the Netgear R7000 (Nighthawk) router everything has been stable and great. And in the five months I've had the R7000 there have only been two firmware updates. Now having said all of that I must say again that I do like the features and performance of the Asus router but also think that the R7000 is an equally good AC1900 router. The fact that Sonos works flawlessly as well as all of the other router functionality I must say do not buy the Asus RT-AC68. Instead go with the Netgear R7000 (Nighthawk) router. I want to thank Sonos for their willingness to help troubleshoot the RT-AC68's problems but I think it should be Asus that needs to step up. I would certainly be willing to help troubleshoot the problem but I no longer have the RT-AC68. Simply TOO many problems. Good luck to everyone still hanging in there until Asus resolves the problem.
Userlevel 2
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

Ryan, the symptoms seem a little different this time but definitely can't say with any certainty.  I have 5 Sonos units (2 Play:3, 2 Play:5, 1 PlayBar).  Back when I first got the Asus, 3 Sonos units were connected to the wired network.  However, I switched all but 1 to wireless because I was told that multiple wired connections was the problem (the Asus router would frequently reboot shortly after I started playing something on the Sonos).  This switch did not fix my problem.  However, after I applied the Asus  3.0.0.4.374.4422 patch I never got another reboot.  I did not reconnect the other Sonos devices to the wired network since everything was working fine.

Last week I applied the latest Asus patch.  Since then, the Asus reboots more frequently than ever.  It used to reboot occasionally shortly after I started a Sonos unit.  Now it will sometimes reboot when I just launch the Sonos controller.  But sometimes it reboots after a unit start playing.  And sometimes it works just fine.  I haven't found a pattern that definitively causes it.

I haven't gone back to the old firmware because I haven't had the time to determine the implications of the security vulnerability that the new firmware fixes.

Let me know if I can give you any other info that would be more helpful.
Userlevel 2
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

An update,  I updated the firmware again and now everything seems to be working great.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

User646136 when you state you updated, do you mean you downgraded the firmware back to 4422 or reloaded the newest 5656?
Userlevel 2
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

The 5656 version.  Since re-loading it a few days ago I have not noticed a single router reboot.  I was seeing several a day, and this is definitely the longest I've gone without a reboot since installing the new version a few weeks ago.  Disconcerting, but if it works I'm happy...
I'm using the last firmware on this router (5656), and the last software on the controller.

the old set-up did not work (I was coming from a old router), and I cannot set it up again.
I have a play3 and a bridge. I tried wiring the bridge directly to the router, or via a switch. nothing will work! 😞
I'm using the last firmware on this router (5656), and the last software on the controller.

the old set-up did not work (I was coming from a old router), and I cannot set it up again.
I have a play3 and a bridge. I tried wiring the bridge directly to the router, or via a switch. nothing will work! :(

I just found a very odd solution to this.
I connected my play3 directly (ethernet cable) to the router. then it started working (bridge was not connected).
After that I connected the bridge, and the play3 was now only on the power outlet (not connected to the router [ethernet] anymore) and now it's working.
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

I have a SONOS system, am going to upgrade my wireless router, and am interested in the ASUS RT-AC68U Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router. If I only have one SONOS component directly plugged into this wireless router, is it expected to work with no issues?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Jason,

Cheers.

You shouldn't have any trouble with a single unit wired to the network. That router will work with multiple Sonos components in the house too, though there have been problems with multiple ones wired into the network, wirelessly there haven't been issues.

Thanks

I have a play3 and a bridge. I tried wiring the bridge directly to the router, or via a switch. nothing will work! :(

Experienced the same problem and same solution. This drives me crazy. I thought I had bought a great router (RT-AC68) but ever been soo frustrated. Default set up: bridge connected to router rest wireless, i.e. P:1, P:5 and conventional stereo via CONNECT. All too often Sonos telling me no system found pls add system. Deeply frustrated. Going to call the tech line of Sonos now.
Damn, thought I had done all the work needed to find the best router on the market, and it seems to be the only one having trouble with sonos. What a fail.
My bridge is the only one connected directly to the router, but it just blinks red, and my 4 play:1 units can't seem to connect either. I'll try the above solution and see if it works
Damn, thought I had done all the work needed to find the best router on the market, and it seems to be the only one having trouble with sonos. What a fail.
My bridge is the only one connected directly to the router, but it just blinks red, and my 4 play:1 units can't seem to connect either. I'll try the above solution and see if it works

That didn't work, but I found this on another forum

"But the solution is simple (as advised by SONOS):
  1. Unplug ALL SONOS devices from power - really ALL!
  2. Reset the router (power cycle or reboot via web/telnet).
  3. Install the latest firmware (I recommend Merlin's version!) on the router
  4. Reset the router to defaults
  5. Reconfigure your router as you need.
  6. Start/plugin power of the SONOS devices one by one, giving 5 minutes delay before starting the next one.
  7. Done! All works like a charm!"
This seems to work. 

Now to see if it's stable 😛

I agree with jesperc. Follow his advice and it will be fine. I love this Asus router, it's fantastic!