Problems Updating your Sonos system?

• 15 April 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

We’d like to discuss some of the issues you may encounter whilst trying to update your Sonos system. When you are attempting to update your system without success, there may be an error message that shows onscreen. In this article, we’ll tell you some Quick Tips to get around these problems, as well what to do if you encounter an error message. 

Please feel free to contact one of our support technicians if you need any assistance throughout. Or you can ask the community for help

​​​

Quick Tips

The steps below are common fixes for a variety of Sonos update errors. Try going through these steps first before looking for your specific error in the next section.

• Retry the update

Try starting the update again from the Sonos app.
If you control Sonos with more than one device, you can also retry the update using a different Sonos app.

• Reboot your router

Unplug your router from power, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in. When your network is back online, try updating Sonos one more time.

• Reboot your Sonos products

Reboot each Sonos product in your home by unplugging the power cable, waiting 10 seconds, then plugging it back in. Once you have rebooted all of your Sonos products, check to make sure they all show up in your Sonos app, then attempt the update again. If you have a large system, it may also be worth trying to update less players at a time - you can do this by simply leaving some of the speakers powered off, and retrying the update.

• Reduce distance to router

If you’re using a mobile device or a laptop on WiFi to update Sonos, try moving closer to the router and trying the update again. If the WiFi signal on your controller is weak, it can cause problems when trying to update your Sonos system.

• Check for incompatible Sonos products

If you have a mix of devices currently running S1 and S2 in the same Sonos system, then you will have trouble updating. To successfully update, you’ll need to fully separate the systems, by performing a Factory Reset on all of the S1 only devices, and then setting them up as a new, separate system. This is not to say you can’t have S2 compatible devices in an S1 system - provided they remain on the S1 software, i.e. by not updating them to S2 manually, you shouldn’t have issues.

• Check your network configuration

Certain network setups can cause issues with updates, for example wireless extenders, and incorrectly configured mesh systems. In these cases, simplifying the network is usually the answer - with extenders, this can be as simple as connecting a Sonos device to the router via Ethernet cable.
Mesh systems can be a little trickier - if the mesh system is connected to a different, ISP provided router, then your network likely has Double NAT, which can cause issues with updating. I’d recommend taking a look at Corry’s article on Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi for some further information regarding mesh systems and Sonos.

Error Codes

Here are some of the Error Codes you may encounter if there is an issue updating.
Click or tap under each code for more information. ​

Error 4

Show content

Error 9

Show content

Error 10

Show content

Error 11

Show content

Error 30 

Show content

Error 36 

Show content

Error 501 

Show content

Error 803

Show content

Error 888

Show content

Error 1001

Show content

Error 1002

Show content

Error 1005

Show content

Error 1009

Show content

Error 1010

Show content

Error 1011 

Show content

Error 1013

Show content

Error 1014 

Show content

Error 1100

Show content

Error 1101

Show content

Mac: “An unexpected error occurred. Please try again” 

Show content

Mac: “Could not install Sonos”

Show content

Mac: The Sonos app for Mac repeatedly prompts you to update. 

Show content

Sonos app prompts you to update but doesn’t give you the option to do so.

To resolve this issue, uninstall the Sonos app from the device you are using and reinstall it from Sonos.com/support.

iOS App Store shows an "Open" button instead of "Update"

When updating the Sonos app for iOS, you will be directed to the iOS App Store to download the latest version. Next to the Sonos app's icon, you should see a button that says "Update."

If you see a button that says "Open" instead, go back to the App Store's main menu and select the Updates tab at the bottom. This will show a list of your downloaded apps that have updates available. Pull down on the page to refresh the list so it's up to date. Find the Sonos app in the list and press the Update button to download the latest version of the Sonos app.

If the Quick Tips haven’t worked, and you encounter an Update Error that is not listed above, then your best bet will be to reach out to our Support Team via either live chat or phone call - they’ll be happy to get you up and running again!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Hello Xander, thank you so much for getting back to me so fast 🙂 and also reading the diagnostics.

I use a series of Unifi repeaters that actually create virtual wifis. But they don’t block the move.

Thanks to your help I found the issue: this particular move IP was blocked under parental control at the modem level...so it would have been block connecting to any virtual wifi or the router’s wifi.

Update then went through easily.

Anyway thank you for your help, 5 minutes and problem solved . THANK YOU

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For me the solution to update time issues and also power fail/restore issues was to assign my Sonos gear static/reserved IP v4 addresses from my router’s DHCP page followed by a power cycle of router and Sonos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Wait, what is that garbage about setting up S1 devices as a separate system?  What does that even mean?  That must be why my system has been disconnecting repeatedly.  What changes did you all make?  I’ve wasted 3+ hours troubleshooting a 6 speaker system that worked perfectly for 5 years.  I’m now listening to music on my phone.

This could have been worded better in the article, and I’ll update the main post - the issue is not so much to do with compatibility - provided all devices are currently running the same OS (S1 or S2), you shouldn’t have any issues, issues will arise if you update part of the system to the S2 OS, while some devices remain on S1. 

Feel free to start a new thread and we’ll be happy to take a look :)

Userlevel 2

Received my Roam today and it looks and sounds great.  However, I get a message that it doesn’t work with WiFi extenders.  What’s the point?  All of my other speakers (8 in total) work fine. I initially bought this to “roam” my property, but am having trouble on a fast Internet/WiFi setup.  I get WiFi on every other device in our area of use, but not the Roam. Please fix in a software update.

Wait, what is that garbage about setting up S1 devices as a separate system?  What does that even mean?  That must be why my system has been disconnecting repeatedly.  What changes did you all make?  I’ve wasted 3+ hours troubleshooting a 6 speaker system that worked perfectly for 5 years.  I’m now listening to music on my phone.

You’ve posted in a thread about trouble updating your Sonos. Are you having trouble updating the Sonos software?

If you’re looking for S1 vs S2 issues, you may be better served by opening up your own thread, and providing much more information, so that folks can give you some assistance. 

Hi, I was responding directly to a point conveyed by Zander in thread.  My system is unusable due to “troubles updating the Sonos software.”  Based on the point raised by Zander in this thread, that could be due to issues created by Sonos in supporting S1 vs S2 products.  I might start my own thread when slightly less pessimistic.  Thank you.

One thing I’d suggest, when you’re willing to open a new thread, is to submit a system diagnostic, and include the number in your post. Having some hard data for the Sonos folks to look at might help them pinpoint why the process is failing in your specific situation.

I have lots of sonos products, including  2 moves purchased 1-2 months ago.

System is working on S2-only for a while.

Two days ago, new update. The 2 Sonos moves failed updating,so they get disconnected until problem fixed (great!). Nothing else to do but mandatory update. But it fails constantly: Error code 1 and 30 (great, error 1 not in the list of error codes...)

For one move, factory reset worked, but for the 2nd no joy.

I followed all the tips above several times (factory reset, moving close to modem, modem restart, retrying, shutting down move for more than 30 minutes etc etc), plus checked if firewall was blocking (it is not). Internet connection working fine. Hours wasted….

Still not working …

What else? ha yes no online chat available? only phone call to Netherlands as my country is not covered… 30 minutes wait time, didnt I waste enough time already on a previously working system before???   I guess I’m not the only one….

Can somebody please help?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @BelLady, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community, lets see if we can get you up and running again.

I took a quick look at the most recent diagnostics from your system - it does certainly look like the Move is being blocked from accessing the internet properly. 

As I see you’re using a mesh network, would you mind checking if the connection for the Move is “paused" in the app you use to configure the mesh? This is different from the firewall blocking, and if it’s present on your model it’s likely under Parental Controls.

Another option would be to Factory Reset  the Move, set it up on the main router’s WiFi as a new system (you may need to Reset the App), go through the update, and then reset the Move once more and add it to the original system.