Answered

Problems streaming from Windows 10 Media Player

• 20 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Very sad.  I saw that Costco was carrying a two-pack of Sonos One SL, something I’ve wanted for awhile. So I pick them up, bring them home, have no trouble configuring them using the Sonos S2 app as a stereo pair in the living room. Except playing music on them.

A short digression: we had Sonos speakers (generation 1 amps) in the previous house, wired to various speakers spread throughout the house. We using the Sonos S1 app to control them, and until relatively recently, played music directly from the ipad to them.  Life was good. Then Sonos decided to drop support for playing from an ipad, so I used a Windows Media Player on a Windows 10 system, controlled by the S1 app on the ipad. Life was still good. We had tunes.

For the life of me, I can’t get the Windows Media Player library working with the S2 app. I can get the app to see it: but all the subfolders (albums, artists, folders, playlists, etc) are empty:-(  Clicking “update music library” doesn’t make anything show up.  I (briefly) tried to use a shared music folder from the Windows10 system, but I can’t get the S2 app to connect a music library to the Windowsl 10 shared folder (it complains the Win10 system isn’t responding).

I can cast the music from Media Player to one of the speakers...but not in stereo -- it only plays on one of the Sonos One SL speakers. If I cast it to the other speaker, nothing plays.  The S2 app sees the music is playing and allows me to control the volume.

I’m sure I’m doing something dumb, but I have no idea what.  Very sad. If anyone knows the incantation to get the S2 app to see the contents of the Windows 10 Media Player’s library, please share it!

Jeff

icon

Best answer by controlav 20 January 2021, 16:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Well, we’ve found a workaround -- Airplay!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You don’t need to use the Windows Media Player service at all, it’s a DLNA server. Just add your local music directory directly using the Sonos app on the PC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

To be specific, do this: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US

controlav: that was ridiculously easy:-)  Someone I either missed or mis-interpreted the article in my search.

Thanks for such a helpful reply.