Answered

problems setting up new home to fit 5Ghz

• 4 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi all,

after extensive reading in the board I learned a lot but still couldn’t solve my problem. After more than a month trying I failed very frustrating. 

my set up: Fibre, apple time capsule (optional), Beam, One, 2x play:1, Apple TV 

i moved to a new home and only the built-in 5Ghz wifi of the router yields the right internet speed. So I am ok to cut out my ATC. 
i connected the One to the 5Ghz nut the beam does not want to move over. Even when plugging in via Ethernet, which I only can run temporary as the router sits in a storage room. 

my questions:

1. Is it possible to use the Beam as hub for the 2x play:1 which are intended to sit in a different room though?
  2. How to set up Beam correctly?
  3. would a Sonos Boost solve my 5Ghz problem?

thank you in advance,

Hannes

icon

Best answer by ratty 4 July 2021, 12:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Beam is unable to connect to a 5GHz WiFi. Its 5GHz radio is reserved for supporting home theatre satellites.

Why can’t you use your router’s 2.4GHz WiFi for Sonos? I appreciate that your 5GHz is a lot faster but Sonos only requires a modest internet bandwidth for audio.

Badge

Beam is unable to connect to a 5GHz WiFi. Its 5GHz radio is reserved for supporting home theatre satellites.

Why can’t you use your router’s 2.4GHz WiFi for Sonos? I appreciate that your 5GHz is a lot faster but Sonos only requires a modest internet bandwidth for audio.

Thank you, my main problem with this is that my phone would be connected to 5GHz - wouldn’t it be unable to find the 2.4GHz wifi? Speed difference is 150mb @5Ghz and 15mb at 2.4Ghz…

Most routers will allow a phone on 5GHz to connect to Sonos units that are using 2.4GHz. It’s only a few badly designed routers which don’t. 

If you haven’t already done so, split your router’s bands giving each a different name. Try connecting Sonos to the 2.4GHz band and see how you get on. 15Mbps ought to be sufficient for your system. 

Badge

Oh that worked! @ratty 

thank you so much for the help. Finally got my music back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

2G is far better at going through multiple walls I've found.