Problems Playing Music / Submitting Diagnostic

• 23 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

I have 2/3 minor problems, that I am hoping are all caused by the same issue.

1 - I have a Playbar and 2 x Sonos 1 Speakers set up as surrounds.  They don’t show in my list of Airplay speakers on my iPhone. This means I can’t play music that’s physically on my phone.

2 - My setup works perfectly for any content (4k etc) via the TV, but music (Spotify specifically), seems to stop completely or cut out and back in randomly.  Sometimes it’s every song and other times it gets through a few songs before running into problems.

I have run a diagnostic today - 1323474904, but there nobody available to speak to at the weekend, and I am flat out Monday - Friday 8am - 7pm, so never have time to call mid week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @GordyLyon

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you.

You can stream via AirPlay 2 on iOS devices like iPhone, iPad, or Mac to stream your favorite music, movies, podcasts, and other audio directly to your Sonos products. To be able to this, your iOs device should be in the same network as your Sonos.

Upon checking the report, it was detected that there's an audio dropout due to sync errors. This may cause audio to cut out.

Let me suggest refreshing the network connection and your Sonos to check if this will make any improvements.

• Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power including the Sonos Bridge.
    • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos devices are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Test playback from and observe Sonos performance.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and keep us posted. If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi Rowena, thanks for the tips.

I’ve only just had the opportunity to give this a shot.

I can now see the devices in the Airplay options, but I am still experiencing regular drop outs, either a reduction in sound or complete drop out.

I have ran another diagnostic - 263181428

I thought it might be worth giving a little more detail on my home network.

I have fibre to the home which is split into 2 channels.

Channel 1 goes into my BT Homehub and serves the house.  Within the house we have 1 x Sonos Beam

Channel 2 goes directly to a Cisco switch and AP in our outhouse.  The outhouse has 1 x Playbar and 2 x Sonos 1’s grouped in the surround sound function.

Both channels are named, so as an example, if I am using wifi on my iPhone in the house I would use a different network to the one in the outhouse.

The Sonos App shows all of the devices (house and outhouse) when I go into system and the Beam works perfectly.

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @GordyLyon

Thanks for your response and for updating us. Glad to know that you can now see the devices for AirPlay streaming. However, the audio dropouts still not resolved.  

Upon checking the diagnostic, there are still sync errors in your Sonos system. When you performed the sequential reboot, did you include the Sonos Beam?

To further help you with the audio dropouts, please follow the steps below:

• Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > Networks > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 1
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.
  • Relocate your Sonos speakers or move them closer to the router to determine if it is a wireless range issue.
  • Hardwire another Sonos device to your router (not your modem).
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.

If you're still experiencing the issue, I recommend contacting our support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please us me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Hi Rowena,

Unfortunately I am still experiencing the same issue.  I ran a diagnostic whilst the audio dropped and wondered if that would enable you to see if the problem in any greater detail.  (234467358)

I have tried all of the things you have suggested in your previous messages and despite my wireless set up having the ability to stream 4k movies flawlessly, Sonos via Spotify simply wont play ball.

Any other assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Gordon