Question

Problems connecting to radio stations via TuneIn

rest of my system works okay, but when try to access any radio station over the last few days keep getting there was a problem connecting to TuneIn Error log below Monday, June 24, 2013 - 8:07 AM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London Unable to play 'Absolute Radio' - the connection to TuneIn was lost. Monday, June 24, 2013 - 8:15 AM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London Unable to browse music - there was a problem connecting to TuneIn. Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 10:22 AM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London Unable to browse music - there was a problem connecting to TuneIn. Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 12:03 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London Unable to browse music - there was a problem connecting to TuneIn.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

70 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi I am also having an issue with the Tunein app - it was working before i performed an update for the Beta version. I am running version 7.2 and have submitted a system diagnostic report: 7215040.
All the other Sonos features are working as expected. The tunein app wont connect.

There is currently a system-wide issue with Tunein.com, which is affecting its use on Sonos. We have another thread with an announcement, which will be updated once the issue is resolved.
The Tune In App itself seemed unresponsive as well
SONOS HAVE POSTED THAT THERE IS A BACKEND ISSUE WITH TUNEIN RADIO and they are working to fix it.
Userlevel 2
Hi I am also having an issue with the Tunein app - it was working before i performed an update for the Beta version. I am running version 7.2 and have submitted a system diagnostic report: 7215040.
All the other Sonos features are working as expected. The tunein app wont connect.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I am having the same problem where Tunein radio stations won't play. It says unable to play station, but after clicking it 3 times it will show up below and I can then push play and it will work. Can you please check my diagnostic and let me know what you see? My confirmation number is 7131605

In a review of the diagnostic, I am seeing a couple different items we’ll want to address.

The first, and not necessarily related to the issue, is the Sonos system has the wireless network credentials for location saved. As Sonos in the setup where there is a product wired to the network, the wireless credentials are not needed, so we’ll want to remove them. To do so select, on the Sonos App for PC, Manage > Settings... > Advanced > Wireless Setup > Next > Reset. In the diagnostic, there are a few instances where a component is shutting down momentarily because it's trying to connect to the wireless network vs the SonosNet mesh network.

The second item, which may require enlisting the Network Administrator if that’s not you, is checking a few settings for the router at your location. From the diagnostic, I can see it’s a SonicWall, which is a network security appliance. We’re able to reach out of the network to retrieve the radio station information, but when trying to pull the information back in we receive an error 1002. An error 1002 is a general timeout due to network latency. By default SonicWall’s have a feature enabled called Stateful Packet Inspection, which could be causing the latency. If that is the case, you will want to define a network access rule so it’s not always examining those certain packets, and potentially blocking them.

I am having a similar issue - sonos connected to router via bridge. Channel 6, our internet is only 3mbps on a good day. TuneIn radio, amazon prime music even sonos updates give me a network error. I have tried to submit a diagnostic but the issue i have is preventing this! Any ideas!? I can't even listen to the radio!

The next time you have a drop could you please run a speedtest and a pingtest from a computer on your network and let me know the results? 3Mbps is enough speed for radio, but even if it dips lower than 2Mpbs for a few seconds that’s more than enough to stop audio playback.
I am having a similar issue - sonos connected to router via bridge. Channel 6, our internet is only 3mbps on a good day. TuneIn radio, amazon prime music even sonos updates give me a network error. I have tried to submit a diagnostic but the issue i have is preventing this! Any ideas!? I can't even listen to the radio!
I am having the same problem where Tunein radio stations won't play. It says unable to play station, but after clicking it 3 times it will show up below and I can then push play and it will work. Can you please check my diagnostic and let me know what you see? My confirmation number is 7131605
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/virgin-media-and-tunein-playback-issue-6763042
Yes I'm on virgin.... is there another thread detailing the exact issue?
Are you with Virgin? There seems to be a problem with a few users on Virgin Media. Sonos is aware and is working on it.
Yes - with Virgin. At least the source of the problem is now identified, I can stop endlessly resetting the system, even if I can't listen to the radio :D:D
Are you with Virgin? There seems to be a problem with a few users on Virgin Media. Sonos is aware and is working on it.
I have exactly the same issue! Started 2 days ago tried all resets and there are no IP conflicts. TuneIn (wiithin Sonos) just spins and eventually says unable to play.
Tunein radio was playing fine yesterday, and now, nothing, dead as the proverbial dodo.
I have tried the instructions below repeatedly, and then resorted to the following:
switched off router, unplugged sonos and turned off every internet enabled piece of equipment.
switched on router, waited, swithed on iphone only. Can use Sonos fully, apart from Tunein, which reports it is unable to play radio station,(this happens whatever radio station I try)
I switched off everything again, apart from iphone, uninstalled sonos app, restarted phone and reinstalled sonos app, swithced off phone, restarted router etc - Tunein reports it cannot play the radio station.

I repeated the above only turning on ipad - again unable to play radio station, and repeated it all again, only swithching on laptop, with the same result.
On each occasion I have checked router settings and condfirmed only sonos and 1 piece of equipment connected to wifi (sonos IP 192.168.0.3 and the other ipad, iphone or laptop on IP 192.168.0.4

I can connect to tunein and listen to station through the iphone app, or the website, so, as a result of the above, I an only conclude that the problem resides either in the controller software, or else the Play 5. Can you suggest anything else that I can try? I have submitted diagnostics ref number 6902431

Regards

Likely not an issue with the update per se.

Switch off router, Sonos and EVERY device connected to the network.
Switch on router, wait a few mins. Switch on Bridge or Boost if you have it, wait a few mins. Then switch on Sonos units. Then switch on the rest of the network devices. That shou
D sort you out.
Tunein radio was playing fine yesterday, and now, nothing, dead as the proverbial dodo.
I have tried the instructions below repeatedly, and then resorted to the following:
switched off router, unplugged sonos and turned off every internet enabled piece of equipment.
switched on router, waited, swithed on iphone only. Can use Sonos fully, apart from Tunein, which reports it is unable to play radio station,(this happens whatever radio station I try)
I switched off everything again, apart from iphone, uninstalled sonos app, restarted phone and reinstalled sonos app, swithced off phone, restarted router etc - Tunein reports it cannot play the radio station.

I repeated the above only turning on ipad - again unable to play radio station, and repeated it all again, only swithching on laptop, with the same result.
On each occasion I have checked router settings and condfirmed only sonos and 1 piece of equipment connected to wifi (sonos IP 192.168.0.3 and the other ipad, iphone or laptop on IP 192.168.0.4

I can connect to tunein and listen to station through the iphone app, or the website, so, as a result of the above, I an only conclude that the problem resides either in the controller software, or else the Play 5. Can you suggest anything else that I can try? I have submitted diagnostics ref number 6902431

Regards

Switch on router, wait a few mins. Switch on Bridge or Boost if you have it, wait a few mins. Then switch on Sonos units. Then switch on the rest of the network devices. That shou
D sort you out.
I am going to eat humble pie - when I repeated the instructions for the 3rd time (remembering this time that there is an ipad on the system as well, and turning that off also), Tunein back and working perfectly - thanks for the advice, and sorry to have been sceptical:D

Unfortunately, it only takes one device with a duplicate IP to mess it up, and Murphy's Law says it's the one device we forget to reboot. Glad you got it working. You may wish to look at reserving IP addresses in your router setup to prevent this in the future.
I am going to eat humble pie - when I repeated the instructions for the 3rd time (remembering this time that there is an ipad on the system as well, and turning that off also), Tunein back and working perfectly - thanks for the advice, and sorry to have been sceptical:D
Hi Stuard_W, I have followed your suggestions above - turning off everything that is connected to wifi, resetting router, turning overything on again and reconnecting. Sonos works perfectly with My Music stored on laptop and iphone, plays spotify perfectly but will not connect to radio via Tunein

tunein works via laptop and iphone with no problems, It is just with accessing tunein via sonas. I repeat that this occurred immediately after upgrading to sonos 7 on laptop

I can only assume that it is an upgrade issue, unless you can suggest anything else

thnks for taking the time to read and respond

Trebor63
Hi, I am having the same issues connecting to TuneIn, all other services work fine. Radio doesn't work on any of my devices, evening via a hard wired Connect:Amp. Yesterday it was playing for a few seconds and cutting out, now I can't get any station at all. I have submitted diagnosis 6892695

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

D sort you out.
OK - I have just updated to the latest Sonos 7 and now am unable to connect to Tunein - it was all working perfectly before the update. Hopefuly those technical huys are aware of the problem, and are working on it, but if not, what can I do to get radio back on Sonos?
I truly appreciate your help! Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just so you know It was working fine for several months until few days ago. would you be able to send an inquiry to tunein maybe the stream can be rebooted and the message is just a type of generic message. I truly appreciate your efforts.

Thank You,
Mike

I'll send this information along. Hopefully it can be resolved soon.
Just so you know It was working fine for several months until few days ago. would you be able to send an inquiry to tunein maybe the stream can be rebooted and the message is just a type of generic message. I truly appreciate your efforts.

Thank You,
Mike
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff<
Thank you for your help.

I am new to Sonos & Tunein, that said I was able to find the station on tunein website : http://tunein.com/radio/NRJ-1003-s2339/ but on the bottom of the screen there was a message "Not Available In Your Location" I am not sure how generic is the message or if you get the same message.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I get that message too. It looks like we're both in the US so that station is likely only available in France. The Sonos system uses anonymous TuneIn accounts so that's probably the reason why this particular station is not available on Sonos.
Hi Jeff<
Thank you for your help.

I am new to Sonos & Tunein, that said I was able to find the station on tunein website : http://tunein.com/radio/NRJ-1003-s2339/ but on the bottom of the screen there was a message "Not Available In Your Location" I am not sure how generic is the message or if you get the same message.

Thank you in advance for your help.