Question

problems after new router

• 8 January 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge
Hi. I just got a new router -- Linksys EA3700, which is an AC1750 (802.11ac). My previous router was 802.11n. I have followed the Sonos setup instructions for getting a new router, i.e., plug one of my Sonos speakers into router via ethernet cable and then go to Advanced Settings -> wifi setup. This setup asks for the password for my new router. Upon doing so, I just get the error: "Wireless problem! Please check the name and password for your network. Ensure you are using a 2.4GHz wireless network that is compatible wiht 802.11b/802.11g."

I have followed advice of the some of the forums to shut everything down and then reboot in following order: modem, router, Sonos devices, other stuff (computer, iPhone). And then I repeated the Sonos setup process above to no avail.

Help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Does your router provide a 802.11b/802.11g network? You stated in your post, that it is an 802.11ac router and this is going to work, if it is in 802.11ac only mode.
Badge
My router is supposedly compliant with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac so I don't think that's the issue.
Badge
I should add that I am connected to the 2.4 GHz not the 5 GHz band. So that's also not the issue.
Wireless troubleshooting from a forum is next to impossible but I'll do my best to help.

To Outburst's point, take a look at your radio settings to ensure the necessary protocols are enabled and that your Mbps is set low enough. I've also seen a number of newer wireless routers coming with some form of NAT mode enabled. This can cause issues with Sonos' ability to see the other speakers and should be disabled.

I'd recommend creating an SSID specific to Sonos so you can tinker with the settings without impacting the rest of your wireless clients coverage and security.

Lastly, it is 2.4 and in most neighborhoods, a very messy spectrum. If you're getting into Sonos and other IOT devices, it would be worth investing in a basic spectrum analysis tool so you can at least see what's going on around you and tune your network accordingly.