Problem with Soundbar - TV sound not working

• 7 January 2017
  • 10 replies

My sound bar has been working fine for years but just stopped working. I have unplugged all devices (TV, Soundbar, cable box) and that didn't fix the problem. Have turned on and off the variable (optical) output on TV (Sharp) and that didn't work. Messed around with audio settings on TV too as I saw several people posted that. Updated to latest Sonos software. Checked optical cable and red light is coming out. Not sure what else to try.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Frank. Welcome to the community. Would you please submit a diagnostic of your system and respond with the corresponding confirmation? One of our agents will take a look at this issue for you. Thank you!
I just submitted a diagnostic. The number is 7050668.

Thanks,

Frank
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I just submitted a diagnostic. The number is 7050668.

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Your diagnostic report shows that the PLAYBAR isn't receiving a signal on the optical port. Are you able to bypass your TV and try wiring the PLAYBAR into your cable box? This should help us narrow down where the issue is.
I had the TV set up to send sound through the TV speakers, which is why the diagnostic did not show a signal. I just turned on the optical sound output from the TV and re-ran the diagnostic. New new report is 7052810.

Also, my cable box does not have an optical output.

Thanks,

Frank
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I had the TV set up to send sound through the TV speakers, which is why the diagnostic did not show a signal. I just turned on the optical sound output from the TV and re-ran the diagnostic. New new report is 7052810.

Also, my cable box does not have an optical output. Have you tried using any smart TV apps? What is the model number of your TV?

Thanks,

Frank

Your PLAYBAR is now reporting that it's receiving a stereo signal from your TV. Have you tried a few different
I think the message got cut off. Just says, you you tried a few different...
FrankSilvester.

I'd assume he meant different sources (Cable, DVD player, Media Center PC, whatever else you might have). But the "receiving stereo signal from your TV" is telling that whatever you've got connected as a data source is probably only sending a stereo signal, and not a dolby digital signal. You should check the audio settings for each device that is connected to your TV with HDMI. Each device will have it's own settings, and they all need to be checked for appropriate settings, and then finally your TV audio settings need to be checked. That way, you can be sure that what is going in to the TV is the appropriate signal, and then what the TV is sending to the Playbar is also the appropriate signal.

I've had devices in the past that "lost" or "changed" their settings due to power surges or power outages (not sure, since I wasn't home at the time!) and changed from what I'd set them at to something new, so that's my fallback "check to see" when I run into this problem. And yea, it's sometimes a pain to look at the audio settings for 3 or 5 different devices, but at least it usually only takes a minute per device to make sure it's set up properly.
I have this sound issue. Please can I try the new beta. Diagnostic 7875145
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I have this sound issue. Please can I try the new beta. Diagnostic 7875145

I've gone ahead and flagged your system for the beta. Please run the update when you have a moment.

For anyone else having the same problem as mhughesuk (PLAYBAR not playing certain channels or any TV audio at all), please make sure to post your diagnostic in the other thread.
Your confirmation number is: 1720410330

Same issue, no TV sound when connected to TV’s digital audio