Answered

problem with connection of MacBook after new Router and extender fitted

I cannot use my home library as the laptop holds all tracks
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 April 2019, 00:02

Since no one else has jumped in on this, I think I'd recommend that you contact Sonos support directly to discuss it. Both Twitter and Facebook are supposed to be 24/7.

But let me work through this yet another time. Sometimes things jump to mind as I'm typing.

Your current setup is a Mac, connected to a router with an ethernet cable. You also have an NAS drive of some type, also connected to your router with an ethernet cable. And you have a BOOST, connected to your router with an ethernet cable.

Your music is stored on the Mac, rather than on the NAS.

Is that all correct?

If so, there's a few things I would want to know.
1) why is the music on the Mac, rather than on the NAS? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it there?
2) what kind of router do you have?
3) what frequency is your router using for wifi, is it 2.4Ghz and/or 5Ghz?
4) do you normally have your speakers connected via the wired method (SonosNet) or the wifi (connected to your wifi SSID) method?
5) If your iPhone connects properly, does it show all the rooms, and it's just the Mac that's failing?
6) What version of the controller are you using on the Mac, and on the iPhone?
View original

9 replies

Why?

Ah....I missed the "extender" part of your post. Sonos doesn't like extenders. I'm not a network expert, nor do I have an extender in my home, but I'd try removing the extender from the equation, and see if you can get it to work without using it.

You need the laptop to be on the same network as the Sonos system, if the extender is setting up a different network subnet, they won't communicate.

Perhaps someone with more networking experience can add their suggestions as well.
Hi Airgetlam
Many thanks for your reply. I have disconnected the extender and it had no effect. I also disconnected the Sonos boost, NASDrive and the Sonos connect then connected laptop to router with no difference. What is interesting is my iPhone connects to the system with no bother. I will try putting my old router back and see what happens. All a bit annoying as the area for the extender has two Play 5s for good stereo. But I put my entire CD collection on the MacBook
Regards
Mac
Since no one else has jumped in on this, I think I'd recommend that you contact Sonos support directly to discuss it. Both Twitter and Facebook are supposed to be 24/7.

But let me work through this yet another time. Sometimes things jump to mind as I'm typing.

Your current setup is a Mac, connected to a router with an ethernet cable. You also have an NAS drive of some type, also connected to your router with an ethernet cable. And you have a BOOST, connected to your router with an ethernet cable.

Your music is stored on the Mac, rather than on the NAS.

Is that all correct?

If so, there's a few things I would want to know.
1) why is the music on the Mac, rather than on the NAS? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it there?
2) what kind of router do you have?
3) what frequency is your router using for wifi, is it 2.4Ghz and/or 5Ghz?
4) do you normally have your speakers connected via the wired method (SonosNet) or the wifi (connected to your wifi SSID) method?
5) If your iPhone connects properly, does it show all the rooms, and it's just the Mac that's failing?
6) What version of the controller are you using on the Mac, and on the iPhone?
Airgetlam, That is very kind of you to spend time on this problem, what I will try and do is describe the whys and wherefores of the existing system
I am not particularly technically adept at the serious stuff so bear with me. I put every piece of my music onto my IMac and also onto my laptop some time ago. I did something to the iMac which corrupted all my music changing it all to suffix MP4. I was advised to get a Nasdrive (connected by Ethernet to Router) and salvage the music onto it. The computer company worked for ages and could do nothing. I then gave them my only surviving library on the laptop. The managed to transfer the music to the Nasdrive but it is in triplicate. so if I access the drive and select a tune it is then played 3 times so at the moment it is a waste of space.
I then moved house and thought I would buy a good sound system (Sonos) so I have a Playbar plus 2 x Play 1's, a pair of play 5's in another room, a play 3 in the dining room and another two play 1's in conservatory and Bedroom (both these have Alexa) I then bought a Sonos Connect and a Record deck. (I have a small collection of discs) and when I experienced problems with access to the laptop and phone Controller in one of the furthest rooms (3 intermediate walls) I purchased a Sonos Boost (connected by Ethernet)
Every thing worked reasonably well except that furthest room which is now the main sitting room so I got in touch with BT and they said I could use the Smarthub 2 and a disc extender. And after a day of angst and aggravation I managed to get everything working except the Laptop. The Laptop connects to the WiFi fine with a full set of blocks, It works fine in every respect except it cannot find Sonos.
I have disconnected the Extender and taken the laptop to the Router.
I have connected the laptop to the Router with an Ethernet
I have connected the laptop to a Sonos Speaker
I have disabled the Smart setup in the BT smart hub
I have taken the Boost and the Nas drive off the system
All components are via WiFi except the Sonos Boost and the Nasdrive.

In every case the response was negative. I will take the Nasdrive to another computer company to see whether that can be sorted BUT......I live on the Orkney Islands, The knowledge of Mackintosh Computers is limited as is the number of legitimate computer engineers.
Sorry about the bedtime reading above but now you have it. Having invested a considerable amount of money in this system it would be really nice to get it back on line
Mac
Do you frequently add music to your system? What software do you use when you add music?

What I'm thinking is first, you could just copy the music from your laptop to the NAS Drive, using the Mac's copy function (not anything other than the Mac finder). Then, you could just point the Sonos to that particular place to play the music for your home.

You could potentially do this using the iTunes program that comes with your Mac, and consolidate the location of iTunes onto the NAS. This is something I've done, pointed iTunes to store my music on my NAS, so that it doesn't take up space on my limited hard drive in the Mac.

And making sure that SMBv1 is turned on for my NAS (it's a WD NAS of some type, several years old, I really don't pay much attention to it, it just works), then my Sonos looks to the music from that location, and if I were to play music on my Mac, it would look to the same location.

I'm semi-familiar with the Orkneys, but have never visited them. I certainly understand it's harder than it might be for someone like me in the middle of Texas to get Mac support.

Based on the complaints I've read here, I would take anything that BT says with a huge grain of salt.

I don't quite understand the phrase The Laptop connects to the WiFi fine with a full set of blocks, It works fine in every respect except it cannot find Sonos. What are "blocks", and what is a full set of them?

I'm still of the opinion that you have more than one wifi subnet, and your laptop is connecting to a different one than the Sonos is.

Connecting the laptop to the Sonos wouldn't do anything, generally speaking. In most cases, your laptop is not a router, and the Sonos needs to be connected to a router.

Plug the BOOST back in to the router. Wait about 5 minutes. Then remove the wifi information from your laptop, and reboot the laptop. Then connect the laptop back to your wifi, and see if the Sonos now appears.

You can reconnect the NAS, for the purposes of getting your laptop to see the Sonos, it wouldn't be making any difference.

Which BT device do you have? There's been a lot of people from the UK indicating that one version of them didn't work well with Sonos.

For troubleshooting purposes, your setup should be as follows:

The BT hub connected to the outside world.
Your laptop connected to the BT hub with an ethernet cable
Your BOOST connected to the BT hub with an ethernet cable
Your NAS connected to the BT hub with an ethernet cable.
Your Sonos speakers plugged in. Might be helpful to move them closer to the BOOST for now, just to make sure we can get the system working, once we get it working, we can move them back to where they will actually live.
Airgetlam. Wow! That is a lot to take in for an old retired engineer. Give me a few days to digest and try a few things. Touareg right about BT I think most have brain of whelk ( crustation) the other wow ! Is you live in Texas the home of Willy Nelson a long time musical hero.
Many many thanks for your trouble with this it really is much appreciated.
Just as an aside I spoke to our local computer company today with the view to get the NASDrive cleaned down completely then put iTunes from laptop on NASDrive and chuck the laptop out the window. I think this might have been one of your suggestions? Will be back in touch in a few days. My wife says there is life beyond Sonos

Mac
Laugh.

Good luck, and have a dram for me. I hope you can get this all resolved. Perhaps some of the more seasoned experts from the UK can drop by here and give you more/better advice on the whole BT issue.

It's a good group of regulars here, with varying levels of knowledge. Mine is on the lower end, but there are some folks here who have this system down cold.
Hi Airgetlam
A bit more info to this puzzle has turned up. My wife’s MacBook Pro linked onto Sonos no problem. I then directed all controllers to her library and that works fine. I also fired up the iMac and the same there except a can’t use the iTunes on this machine due to serious corruption
So, it looks like a problem with my Macbook configuration (not firewall) we are getting closer
Mac
Small steps are good. You're heading in the right direction 🙂

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings