Problem streaming radio; cutting out & restarting

• 17 August 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi. I'm experiencing music cutting out and restarting. it appears to be random and limited to TuneIn Radio station KCRW Eclectic 24. A track will start playing, cut out for a second or two, and then rewind to the last few seconds of the previous song. In case diagnostics could also be used in my case, I submitted them under confirmation number 1413735013. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, cast0r. Thanks for posting and sharing your diagnostic information. I was able to take a quick look and it seems that there are quite a number of playback errors pointing to "Stream Underflow". This means that the data is not getting to the speakers fast enough for the audio to be sync'd across Sonos. So instead of experiencing delays across the network, Sonos drops the audio entirely.

This normally will show itself regardless of the station or audio content played and at times, which makes it very interesting that it seems to only happen with one radio station. (I Love KRCW, by the way!)

Digging a bit deeper into the diagnostic report showed me that you are additionally having trouble playing content from a local music library on "Dad's Desktop". These come from errors regarding corrupted or missing files and UPnP commands on the network (UPnP is how commands are sent to/from Sonos and are usually managed by the router).

That all being said, it might be best to give our support technicians a call. They can set up a remote session with you and tackle both the local music library issue and (likely in the same swoop) address this problem with audio interruptions.

Please feel free to let us know what happens next. The Community only gets better when our knowledge base grows. Thanks!
Thanks Keith! What you're saying makes sense, so I listened to a few other radio stations to be sure; I couldn't recreate the problem (see diagnostic confirmation number 1290592969). The fact that it almost always happens towards the end of a song on KCRW Eclectic doesn't feel like a random data point to me, either.

Sounds like it'll be fun to troubleshoot it further with you guys. I'll try to get a call in soon! Thanks again!
Quick update on this, though maybe not conclusive. I did talk to Sonos support, who found that the live stream on KCRW Eclectic 24 was experiencing the same exact issue. I reached out to KCRW a few times to discuss it, but they never replied. A week or so later, I noticed that I hadn't had the issue again and haven't see it since. I guess I'll call that "good" for now! 😃